So Farewell Then....

salmonbuddie

Mentioning Ghost Town elsewhere made me think I might as well enjoy the thread for Rico Rodriguez. Was a wee bit shocked to see no-one had started one...

RIP Rico, Enjoy Yourself (It really is Later Than You Think)

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/sep/04/the-specials-trombonist-rico-rodriguez-dies-aged-80&ved=0CBwQqQIwAGoVChMIocWfsaHfxwIVCQgaCh3aUwQm&usg=AFQjCNH8kUolKr5Nk6PtAkjhTsNNvDbUdA&sig2=g1UXIYIS6LhFZO9Yk_RjQQ

Rico was a great guy and was playing his instrument from an early age . I believe he was a member of the religious organisation that Desmond Dekker is referring to on Israelites and when he came to Britain , he worked as a window cleaner and on the production line at Dagenham . It was when he was recruited by the Specials that he finally got major recognition in this country. .

I have some of his albums , good stuff if you like his smooth style of instrumental Ska. .

Years ago, Jools Holland brought his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra to Paisley Town Hall and I was on follow spot for the gig. I don't remember too much about the show except being transfixed by Rico's trombone playing and trying to get my head around the fact I was watching him play in Paisley.

Shook his hand after the show but was too starstruck to make any attempt at conversation.