Saints V Falkirk

st jock

i was unable to go to dumfries but was quick to acclaim the victory. However if you want to make up wee stories then go ahead, maybe you can conjure up one where saints fans get value from their management and all of the players

Today, i have also said we have the players and did not "get stuck" into them. So you are either a liar or unable to process simple information

ur right boss 1eye.gif

Agreed.

We should be playing Gallagher and shank land up front.

Sadly Thommo is too old and slow now, and ball keeps getting lumped up to him , when we should keep the ball on the deck and play football.

Got bullied today, again

Agree, Thompson's still got a role to play this season but shouldn't be playing the full 90 minutes. Feel he's better suited to coming on late in the game when he'll be playing against tired players and his football brain can be used to it's best.

I think we gave a poor Falkirk team a win today!

First off the foul on McMullan should have been a red card we should have had at least one more Goal by half time.

Player's were making runs and we were getting chances!

The second half was a disgrace no player's making runs we sat back and let Falkirk come at us the penalty was dubious From where I was sitting!

Again Ian Murrays subs were mind boggling why did he not put on Shankland?

No he put on a young boy not proven at any level in Scottish football who at best could say looked mediocre!

Taking off Aggy seemed a strange one when he went off what formation was Murray playing?

Yes I think the ref was poor made mistakes that cost us Goals!

But the Tactics and Approach to the second half was what cost us the game!

And last point to the wee Guy calling for Murrays head at the end of the game I think it's still to early for that just yet!

And I would urge you to stop spouting your pish 2 seasons ago you shouting sack Danny Lennon! How did that work out???

Honestly I don't want your opinion I moved seats this year so I didn't have to hear your pish can you not just buy football manager and give us all peace!

Its amazing how people see things differently.

1. IMO it was a blatant penalty , i dont think a single saint question the decision, usually a good indicator it was a foul.

2 Again , IMO Agnew was very poor, he is fast becoming a wee bit of a shitebag in the tackle & very obviously doesnt fancy competing for headers !

3. Yes , the ref was inconsistent & generally very bad but which of his decisions cost us a goal ??

By whom?

John Beaton... could have sent off Taiwo, or the guy who crocked McMullen.

SHOULD have sent off Mark Kerr.

Gave foul after foul to Falkirk to help them keep the pressure on and stop us from getting any momentum going.

He gave so many soft fouls against Thommo he ended up having to book him.

Not saying we shouldn't have been able to rise above that in the second half, but if Kerr walks for the barge on Goodwin at 2-1 Saints, it's a different game.

Well, that 2nd half performance was an utter disgrace. No fight, no desire to win the game, once they scored the second we played for a point. Not f**king acceptable at home.

Have to say I have no idea why he brought McGrath on when he did. Did he think we were cruising and would give a young boy some game time, or does he genuinely think he was the best option? Either way it was, in my opinion, a massive (worrying) error of judgement.

Baird and Watson were honking.

The referee didn't help but when are we going to come away from the game having not been bullied and out thought.

All so bloody depressing.

Murray, for me, continuing to show a worrying lack of ability to set teams up in this league. Falkirk were there for the taking today and we shat it.

Agree with most of that, Baird and Watson had a torrid 2nd half.

Goodwin is a loony and some of his fouling is ridiculous but he had very little help in midfield when the going got tough in the 2nd half.

McGrath was a bizarre sub....he had so many other options.

Said it after the Dumbarton game that we need to press teams higher up the park.

Pushed higher in the main in Dumfries and it worked out well, yet here we are 2 up against an average Falkirk team almost defending

our own 18 yard box . Still think we will get it right but we must push and learn to take control and slow the game down in the oppositions half

when we are leading.

Two other points from today the ref and the west stand side linesman were abysmal, challenge on Mcmullan was a red and Kerr should have walked for 2 bookings.Would say the penalty looked valid as there was no real arguement from our players.

Other point which has been mentioned is Agnew and Mallan imho are not compatible playing together and i would go for Mallan Anyday, not slagging Agnew just think the two are the same wwith Mallan being a better player.

Edited by Lets be frank

Thomson is a valuable player and his goals will make a difference, one way or another, this season

He is not capable of 90 minutes every week as a lone striker, that is a fact. He can stay on the pitch that long, but won't contribute at his best for the whole game. I would not be surprised if Murray made it clear during signing talks that he expected him to do the 90 minutes on his own, if he did then he should have known better.

with a squad our size we can't afford players who are not expected to bring it for 90 minutes

Edited by beyond our ken

FFS

I'm trying to rationalise this................seriously

We were two up, TWO UP at half time. What happens next, well , its actually impressive.

I've received many boots to the stones over the many years follwing us, great rotten and mediocre in between. Todays half time team talk had to be one of the most convincing of self harm experinces, because we managed to deliver a seriously inmpressive boot in the haw maws to the fans there today. Thats as good a defeat from victory as I ve seen in a long time.

Its good to know that just when i guessed we had bottomed out , I realise that we have a whole new abyss to trawl before we turn this madness around.

A pish state of affairs

Other point which has been mentioned is Agnew and Mallan imho are not compatible playing together and i would go for Mallan Anyday, not slagging Agnew just think the two are the same wwith Mallan being a better player.

Absolutely, Agnew now feels like a signing Murray feels he needs to justify, he just doesn't look good enough.... Mallan drifts in and out of games but at least when he's in it he's pretty good and hopefully as he matures he can impose himself more on games, but he certainly has some talent and time on his side.

aggy is a ghost in midfield he's too like mallan but mallan is far better. The worst sub was McGrath the boy isn't ready.

I don't disagree who he brought off, Aggy was non existent in the middle. My point was, we were getting over run in the midfield at that point in the game and then he takes off a midfielder.... Crazy.

poor show, i dont agree with all of what the guy says but he has been a passionate and committed buddie for decades

heed his words and dont take cheap shots, bud

seriously??? because he has been a passionate and committed fan for decades and the fact you dont agree with what he says...but ...I have to "not " take cheap shots and head his words

i will give my opinion...i will view my thoughts...that is a given

but my choices will NOT BE GOVERENED BY SOMEONE ELSES STATURE no matter how long they have been a fan...how long have i been a fan?

John Beaton... could have sent off Taiwo, or the guy who crocked McMullen.

SHOULD have sent off Mark Kerr.

Gave foul after foul to Falkirk to help them keep the pressure on and stop us from getting any momentum going.

He gave so many soft fouls against Thommo he ended up having to book him.

Not saying we shouldn't have been able to rise above that in the second half, but if Kerr walks for the barge on Goodwin at 2-1 Saints, it's a different game.

why would taiwo of got sent off?

Well now....most excited I have been at a Saints Game for a long time. Unfortunately also again one of the most frustrating ones.

First half we played pretty well. Thought Kelly did well and Webster dominated at the back. Gallagher caused lots of problems and Mallan took the second goal very well. Referee had a shocker, but it shows how long it is since we were in this league as I had totally forgotten how lenient at times they areon shocking challenges. Two sending offs in my opinion.. Mc Mullan tackle and Kerr in the second half... These would have sealed the game for Saints.

However, fact is this did not happen. Second half Lee Miller coming on and Houston's team talk changed the game. It was exciting end to end stuff at times, but our ineptitude in front of goal and our inability to support runners was exposed brutally. Did we actually force their keeper to save a shot other than from one free kic?.

They had some good defensive blocks but Thommo's farcical attempt to control and get a shot away in the box late on summed up our second half.

Midfield relatively absent in second half as we sat off them and too far back, inviting attack after attack.

Baird really struggled in the second half with the ball over the head.

Langfield kept us in the game with two excellent saves.

Agnew contributes little and apart from the corner he scored from I wish Mallan took all dead balls.

Team does not look fit the later games go on.

Thommo should not have to work so unsupported. Second half he really struggled to compete and I cannot believe we were asking him to chase high balls down.

Shankland looked a handful when he came on.

Much work required by Murray on the training field. If the players are not stocking to his tactics do something. If this is his tactics... change them.

Long way to go and I am sure things will improve, but at 3.45 I was sitting thinking that 8 points at this stage, four games undefeated, two wins in a row against QOS and Falkirk was not a bad start. How quickly 45 minutes can change your perspective.

Wonder how I will feel at 10 on Friday night??

Funny. Seems like the doom merchants - we all know who they are - who only post after we lose and vanish when we win don't like this being pointed out. Was only welcoming you back lads. Let's hope you're all as quiet next week as you were last week.

Three turning points today.

1) McMullan through on goal. Chopped down and injured and replaced with a young kid who I don't know much about. I do know about Morgan and McLear, and I do know both of them are far more proven than McGraith is. Why they were left out when that other kid was brought on only Murray knows. If Morgan comes on and the Falkirk player is sent off then... Vital moment one.

2). That f**king penalty. Falkirk c**t has his back to goal and is being marshalled fine by the defender, he's going nowhere. Scott 'I'm experienced, honest ' Agnew comes in and wipes him out from behind. Why? Why?! Just... Stand there. Goodness sake.

3). The sub. Shankland for Agnew. While I absolutely understand why Agnew was subbed off - he was terrible and I don't want him starting again - this wasn't the player to be brought off for. Murray... What a nightmare you had here and I'm sure you realise that now.

The clear sub was Shankland for Thompson while retaining the same system. Thompson is a 60 minute player these days. He was great for the first 60 minutes then ran out of gas, Shankland had to be a straight swap for him.

He's clearly thinking to go and win the game, which is more naive than it is admirable. He took a player out of midfield to stick another up front. Not in that circumstance, never. Not when you've went 2-0 to 2-2 and the momentum is all with the away team. You consolidate, lick your wounds and take the point. That sub is the reason we lost instead of drawing.

Edited by TopCat

its going to take time for us fans to see what this team can achieve ,

new players ,new manager, new league ,

its called a rebuilding ,we are going to get results and displays ,were we all can see errors, and mistakes

last couple off years,i would have been raging tonight,but just have to give every one time ,

at least till jan .maybe just getting older and wiser,30years plus watching saints WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE BEST OF TIMES AND THE WORST OF TIMES

KEEP THE FAITH

I actually enjoyed the game, shame about the result though. Like most games this season it's been 2 teams trying to win the game.

Ref didn't have a great game, really inconsistent which par for the course. I agree with the Thommo booking for persistent fouling but he could have given a couple of 2nd bookings to Falkirk players for the same. Also thought it was a clear goal scoring opportunity in the first half and could easily have been red.

First half we were actually very decent. Dominated play, strolled it at the back and played some decent stuff.

Falkirk hammered us in the 2nd half and deserved the 3 points for their efforts. We totally switched off and then couldn't get back up to the level we were at.

Too early to be calling for the managers head IMO. We won't be involved in a relegation fight and may be involved in a fight for the play offs.

I'd be willing to give Murray at least the season and the start of next to get it right.

7 out of 10 today.

Outstanding performance in the first half..

Naive in the second..

We have the makings of a great Team with a few tweaks here and there.

On the up.

Have you went on the sauce Shull?

7 out of ten?

That second half performance was absolutely shocking and should be marked well into the negative. Just like the tactics, if that is the right word to use for that nonsense we witnessed.

I honestly thought we were going to score double figures the way we took the game to Falkirk first half. I actually feel a bit of deja vu here as I'm sure I used that sentence a week or so ago. Second half> My six year old grandson's team could have picked them off!

SHOCKING. 1 out of 10 and that's only because Langfield and Goodwin were on the feckin' park.

Edited by stlucifer