Saints V Falkirk

st jock

Did it even though we went 2-0 up after he went off. Certainly didn't help tho losing his threat.

Think More to do with our defence not handling lee Miller, poor refereeing, poor team performance 2nd half and only goody willing to put in a tackle in

We brought McGrath on, who offered very little and as the game progressed, that was more problematic. We lost shape after McMullan went off, and, critically, never regained it.

That said, I agree with your other points.

It wasn't just McMullan going off but who came on. No offence to the young guy but he was completely out of his depth and effectively left us with 10 men.

Shankland, when he came on, held the ball up well and looked a far better option from the bench.

I was too angry to post last night.On reflection the ref was extremely poor and very arrogant.I sit relatively near the away bench and Mr Houston seemed rather friendly with Mr Beaton clearly both on first name terms.This doesn't disguise our total capitulation in the second half.I would in all honestly have settled for a point why Mr Murray never used his third sub I will never know.Thompson was struggling big time in the last ten.The substitute for McMullan defies utter logic.The big problem for us is the make up of our squad.Four over 30s which is fine but the rest young boys apart from say Agnew.Not enough guys in the age group 24 to 29 who would be at their peak.

We brought McGrath on, who offered very little and as the game progressed, that was more problematic. We lost shape after McMullan went off, and, critically, never regained it.

That said, I agree with your other points.

Completely agree McMullan was ripping them apart and with both him on one side and Gallacher on the other we looked like we could really do well. The lad who replaced McMullan wasn't ready.

It wasn't the fault of the referee that we lost yesterday, I wish people would stop bleating about that.

Regardless of them being down to 10 men, we should still be able to hold a two goal lead at home. We didn't.

Exactly.

We sat too deep and when we did have possession it was like the last 2 minutes of a Cup game with either a punt or everyone piling forward to leave Goodwin and the back four exposed. There was some extremely poor play, with attacks just petering out and Thommo just not cutting it. Very little came centrally, which Falkirk all but handled in the 2nd half. You can say "had that gone in" or "had the Ref whatever", but our tactics stink. It was a 45 minute version of the spell we had vs QOTS...the same spell that was meaningless and not a sign of anything. Indeed, it was the Ibrox performance prior to the pitch invasion.

Message for Murray is simple. Get it in to your head that you're not managing Dumbarton, 9 behind the ball with nippy players running in to a cul de sac just won't cut it.

Well I am coming right out and saying it.Murray is a young manager learning his trade and has to have an experienced and reliable assistant to help him.This was never more evident than yesterday.This nonsense with Spalding has to stop now.One last thing with that utterly hopeless ref Mr Beaton.How bloody convenient to blow for time up when the ball is centred not when Falkirk are attacking and putting the ball in our box.Oh and yes what about the two minutes they spent celebrating their winner.I am never one for blaming the ref but despite his bad day at the office his arrogance was overwhelming.The guy that almost halved McMullan in two deserved two red cards.

Have you went on the sauce Shull?

7 out of ten?

That second half performance was absolutely shocking and should be marked well into the negative. Just like the tactics, if that is the right word to use for that nonsense we witnessed.

I honestly thought we were going to score double figures the way we took the game to Falkirk first half. I actually feel a bit of deja vu here as I'm sure I used that sentence a week or so ago. Second half> My six year old grandson's team could have picked them off!

SHOCKING. 1 out of 10 and that's only because Langfield and Goodwin were on the feckin' park.

tsk, you are not following Shulls logic, he gave us 7 whistling.gif outa five for the first half...........................doh

Well I am coming right out and saying it.Murray is a young manager learning his trade and has to have an experienced and reliable assistant to help him.This was never more evident than yesterday.This nonsense with Spalding has to stop now.One last thing with that utterly hopeless ref Mr Beaton.How bloody convenient to blow for time up when the ball is centred not when Falkirk are attacking and putting the ball in our box.Oh and yes what about the two minutes they spent celebrating their winner.I am never one for blaming the ref but despite his bad day at the office his arrogance was overwhelming.The guy that almost halved McMullan in two deserved two red cards.

Your asking for a similar set up to DL & TC

If you want to be creative with figures you could say that there were nearer 3000 home fans than 2500.....

By the looks I'd say closer to 4k but it was empty in places and the Reid Kerr stand looked decidedly sparse. .

Also noticed that far more people turned up nearer to kick-off than usual , maybe they had decided to miss out on the pre-match "atmosphere". .

By the looks I'd say closer to 4k but it was empty in places and the Reid Kerr stand looked decidedly sparse. .

Also noticed that far more people turned up nearer to kick-off than usual , maybe they had decided to miss out on the pre-match "atmosphere". .

I'm not doubting the announced attendance, just pointing put the 2800 home fans were there, I wouldn't class that as "a little over 2500".

Although we were 2 up at half time due to 2 very bad errors, I didn't think we were well ahead on performance. Second half was a different scenario, it looked as if only one team wanted to win and it wasn't Saints. I liked the initial link ups between Thompson and McMullen (wrong spelling?), a vast improvement than Thommo being isolated. After the wee man went off we lost our main threat up front. I have now seen Saints 4 times this season and the same issues stick out a mile ie we get overpowered in the midfield where both Agnew and Mallan show some nice touches, but are easily brushed aside. In defence the manager has to concede that Sean Kelly cannot defend and give the boy Stewart a run at left back. Also, IMO the lack of passion shown by our manager on the touchline is unbelievable. If we keep this up another relegation is on the cards.

Don't know how long was supposed to be added on, but Falkirk scored on 47:15; and the ref blew his whistle on the restart... at 48.15.

So either there were 2 minutes, and he let them carry on to finish their attack.

Or there were 3 or more minutes and he decided that taking a minute to restart after scoring a goal is 'normal'.

BTW, Beaton is not a Championship ref, most of his games are Premiership.

Though he has refereed one other Championship game this season.... Saints 1 Dumbarton 2. A game where Saints had a very good penalty shout turned down, and a few minutes later he gives Dumbarton a pretty soft one.

He's taken charge of us 12 times.

First time was a 2-0 away end of season dead rubber against Killie in May 2012.

We've not won any of the 11 subsequent games.

Maybe somebody pissed him off.

Although I am willing to accept that with our win rate over the last 3 years, there may be other refs who have taken charge of us 11 times without us having a win!

A quick response to those saying how knackered Thommo looked - have any of you ever played up front for a team where you're always asked to come back and defend because the coach wants 11 men behind the ball and leaves nobody up? I have. I've also played for teams where I've been asked to play on the shoulder of the last defender at the half way line. I can tell you that the former leads to near exhaustion if you have to do it for 90 minutes, as you're constantly then having to run the length of the pitch to get back to your natural position in attack. And I used to be a pretty fit guy!

Perhaps if we actually did what we unquestionably should, and left a player further upfield so that we have an out ball (such as Thommo), he wouldn't appear so tired after 65 minutes...

Got to leave someone up front at corners, its embarrassing.

Indeed, ALL teams need one of two things.

Either a player who can be an out ball and then immediately attack and take players on and beat them, or a player who can collect an out ball, hold it up and hold players off before distributing it as the rest of the team push out. Any manager who can't understand that incredibly simple fact is somebody we should be concerned about. Hopefully this is changed and changed quickly for future games.

Don't know how long was supposed to be added on, but Falkirk scored on 47:15; and the ref blew his whistle on the restart... at 48.15.

So either there were 2 minutes, and he let them carry on to finish their attack.

Or there were 3 or more minutes and he decided that taking a minute to restart after scoring a goal is 'normal'.

BTW, Beaton is not a Championship ref, most of his games are Premiership.

Though he has refereed one other Championship game this season.... Saints 1 Dumbarton 2. A game where Saints had a very good penalty shout turned down, and a few minutes later he gives Dumbarton a pretty soft one.

He's taken charge of us 12 times.

First time was a 2-0 away end of season dead rubber against Killie in May 2012.

We've not won any of the 11 subsequent games.

Maybe somebody pissed him off.

Although I am willing to accept that with our win rate over the last 3 years, there may be other refs who have taken charge of us 11 times without us having a win!

Our new Eddie Smith perhaps . .

Interestingly enough we did manage to get rid of Smith after the second disgrace . .

We all know that Beaton didn't lose us 3 points but he certainly didn't help us either , not that it is his job to help us but corruption isn't part of his job either , nor is sheer fukwittery decisions or the lack of a decision . .

A quick response to those saying how knackered Thommo looked - have any of you ever played up front for a team where you're always asked to come back and defend because the coach wants 11 men behind the ball and leaves nobody up? I have. I've also played for teams where I've been asked to play on the shoulder of the last defender at the half way line. I can tell you that the former leads to near exhaustion if you have to do it for 90 minutes, as you're constantly then having to run the length of the pitch to get back to your natural position in attack. And I used to be a pretty fit guy!

Perhaps if we actually did what we unquestionably should, and left a player further upfield so that we have an out ball (such as Thommo), he wouldn't appear so tired after 65 minutes...

Nobody is criticising Thommo on a personal level. It's not his choice to play alone up front. As you say, it's a hard shift, one for a much younger striker. If we are not going to play 2 up front then Thommo should be coming on as a sub when defences are tiring.

Our new Eddie Smith perhaps . .

Interestingly enough we did manage to get rid of Smith after the second disgrace . .

We all know that Beaton didn't lose us 3 points but he certainly didn't help us either , not that it is his job to help us but corruption isn't part of his job either , nor is sheer fukwittery decisions or the lack of a decision . .

Eddie smith was a tit. Funny to see him now on the telly every now Abd again as he's one of the top coppers in police scotland. Corrupt c**t

Do we have anyone else who plays left back? Sean Kelly looked light a 16 year old thrown in at the deep end not someone who’s been in the first team for 3 years. In the second half the guy he was up against went past him with ease every opportunity he got, when the ball was played over to the right Kelly was standing off Smith(?) by 10 yards letting him control the ball and build up speed to ghost past and get a ball in. He was at fault for the 1st and 3rd goals, although admittedly not the only one at fault.

Do we have anyone else who plays left back? Sean Kelly looked light a 16 year old thrown in at the deep end not someone who’s been in the first team for 3 years. In the second half the guy he was up against went past him with ease every opportunity he got, when the ball was played over to the right Kelly was standing off Smith(?) by 10 yards letting him control the ball and build up speed to ghost past and get a ball in. He was at fault for the 1st and 3rd goals, although admittedly not the only one at fault.

Are you a St Mirren fan? You don't know if we have anyone that can play left back was that the 1st game you've seen?

If you think kelly was bad wait till you see Luke conlan oooft

Edited by buddies1877

Are you a St Mirren fan? You don't know if we have anyone that can play left back was that the 1st game you've seen?

If you think kelly was bad wait till you see Luke conlan oooft

I'm sorry I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of our squad including youth players and players secondary positions, clearly you are a much better fan than me and would never dare to ask a simple question on discussion forum snore.gif