St Mirren V Alloa Athletic Championship 3/10/15

shull

It was a great day and a classic performance.

Back then we were a team who had been in the 1st division for years, had no money, a millstone of a stadium and a pile of debt.

Yet we managed to field a side so strong that I struggle to think of ONE current player who would be good enough to displace any of that side.

The only thing we had that we have now was a manager who reportedly "knew this division", this was one of the earliest performances in Tom Hendrie's first full season in charge and look how right we got it. Do we have the makings of another Hendrie, I wonder, in our current manager? Time will tell if we can get back to that level of performance and player again. Looking at that team, I don't think it is happening soon.

Hendrie had one good season and was shit the rest of his tenure. He left the club in a worse state than it was when he joined it, the nostalgia for his era is a bit baffling. No surprise he's managing in the darkest depths of Junior football now.

As for this game, I'm fairly certain it won't be a comfortable victory and I'm surprised so many posters think it will be. Shull excepted, he predicts that every game.

This is a team who are level on points with Livi, albeit they got a pasting off them last week. We seen how difficult Livi were to beat in Paisley over two games, so difficult we couldn't manage it.

Every league game we've had this season has been close really. The only one that wasn't strangely was our one win against QOTS. Every other match has had one goal in it up until 90 minutes.

I suspect this one will be the same and it could go either way. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we lost the game, which I suppose is a mark of just how far we have fallen under Murray. Dumbarton, Livi and Raith have all won in Paisley this season so there's no reason why Alloa can't too.

Hendrie had one good season and was shit the rest of his tenure. He left the club in a worse state than it was when he joined it, the nostalgia for his era is a bit baffling. No surprise he's managing in the darkest depths of Junior football now.

As for this game, I'm fairly certain it won't be a comfortable victory and I'm surprised so many posters think it will be. Shull excepted, he predicts that every game.

This is a team who are level on points with Livi, albeit they got a pasting off them last week. We seen how difficult Livi were to beat in Paisley over two games, so difficult we couldn't manage it.

Every league game we've had this season has been close really. The only one that wasn't strangely was our one win against QOTS. Every other match has had one goal in it up until 90 minutes.

I suspect this one will be the same and it could go either way. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we lost the game, which I suppose is a mark of just how far we have fallen under Murray. Dumbarton, Livi and Raith have all won in Paisley this season so there's no reason why Alloa can't too.

any saints fan that didn't enjoy the 'Bubble didn't Burst' season isn't doing it right. :blink: Edited by Hambud

any saints fan that didn't enjoy the 'Bubble didn't Burst' season isn't doing it right. :blink:

Never said I didn't enjoy it at all. But his actions in two seasons that followed along with his acrimonious departure and the state he left us in should be more relevant to his legacy, IMO.

Never said I didn't enjoy it at all. But his actions in two seasons that followed along with his acrimonious departure and the state he left us in should be more relevant to his legacy, IMO.

Whilst I see you have a valid point , I agree with the guys.

I would much rather have a 'magic' season like that, as opposed to years of mundane abject pish '

So his tenure overall maybe not amazing after getting to the top flight driving up from England for the Monday night game against United which we won 2-1 ( what an atmosphere as our 2nd goal went in ) and still had 'hope' and finished the season tremendously was better than years of pish.

Loved the excitement during the 'good bits' , rarely now do we experience anything close to it.

Whilst I see you have a valid point , I agree with the guys.

I would much rather have a 'magic' season like that, as opposed to years of mundane abject pish '

So his tenure overall maybe not amazing after getting to the top flight driving up from England for the Monday night game against United which we won 2-1 ( what an atmosphere as our 2nd goal went in ) and still had 'hope' and finished the season tremendously was better than years of pish.

Loved the excitement during the 'good bits' , rarely now do we experience anything close to it.

Dashed by Alan feckin Main and Paul feckin Hartley!!!

Never forget!

Never mind the legacy bollox, Tom Hendrie gave me an unforgettable season that will live with me till I die.

Who can forget the 3-2 game v Raith Rovers,

The Airdrie game when he was chased up the tunnel.

The two wins at Livingston, the 8-0 v Clydebank.

The win at Somerset to clinch promotion and the 3-0 win at Love Street v Raith to win the league.

What wonderful memories. That is his legacy.

Hendrie's season in the SPL was close, very close, to being an excellent one. The outcome wasn't great but if he had managed to hang on to a couple of players and had more of a SPL budget then we might never have went down. We will never know about the "might have beens" (i might have beans for lunch). But just look at that team, and look at the side we have now. The gulf in quality is huge, we had a well-balanced side on the pitch with players who were playing for the manager. and some talented pros who quite literally had their careers turned around in 6 months by TH and JC. We know now that Hendrie's temperament was more volatile than we realised but the board should have spotted that and helped him..

The point is, in a better resource position right now, we can't come close to building that kind of squad and we should be thinking of how that came to pass.

Massive game for Murray and Spalding , lose and we could be bottom of the league after the first quarter. I think Spalding in particular will be looking over his shoulder , as I would imagine , in those circumstances , that the BOD would look to replace him with a more experienced assistant. Can't think he would be to expensive to get rid of either !

Massive game for Murray and Spalding , lose and we could be bottom of the league after the first quarter. I think Spalding in particular will be looking over his shoulder , as I would imagine , in those circumstances , that the BOD would look to replace him with a more experienced assistant. Can't think he would be to expensive to get rid of either !

The replacement would need to come from outside the club. it sent the wrong message last year that DL was replaced by senior pros following disagreements with senior pros.

I would also say that Murray might well need the comfort blanket of Spalding having his back. He might well be unwilling to do the deed himself and if the board do it over his head then we will most likely have a double-compensation battle on our hands as Murray could be keen to cash in his chips and write this one off as a club problem rather than a Murray problem

I will take a scrappy 1.0 win with a 1st min O.G and then 89 mins backs to the wall if it means 3 points.

or a 5.0 win

That just won't be good enough. We need to be sending out a message and NOT giving encouragement to the other sides in this league.

A robust physical performance, all out committment for 90 minutes, goals in both halves and Alloa reduced to a shambles should be our target for Saturday or else just sort-of getting by will become our habit.