20 Years On...

Herbie

What's disgusting about it? It's merely an invitation to discuss.

Ironically I assume that Strummer is referring to the song Respect, which is a quality that Cooper sadly lacked and is why I feel the way I do about

Davie actually passed away on 23rd March, 20 years ago.

Yesterday was not the anniversary of his sad passing.

A fantastic football player and a decent chap.

Picked him up quite a few times on his regular Taxi from Ibrox Park to Hamilton.

Let me add, what a disgusting Thread.

i suspect he was usually pleasant when not backed up 30,000+ slavering bigots

As the point of the thread is to discuss the demise of Mr Cooper, I'd like to say that I am not overjoyed that he is dead

Conversely, i couldn't give a stuff about him if he were still alive

I used to work beside someone who played alongside him at Clydebank, he didn't like him at all.

Motherwell named a stand in his honour, he played there for 5-ish seasons. I find that strange, many of their former players are dead and go unremembered in this way.

he was a slightly better than average player in the era when Souness and Smith bought a lot of titles for an old club, ruining scottish football in the process.

Cooper was a great player 10 years before the Souness era began. And was a great player after Souness left. Legend at Motherwell and an integral part to their Cup triumph.

O'Donnell has a Stand named after him also.

Let's have it then in all it's glory.

Exactly what was said and done?

Tony Fitzpatrick's young son died from leukaemia. Upon his return to the first team one of his first games for Saints was at home to Rangers. During the game an incident occurred between Fitzy and Cooper during which words were exchanged. Some of the words from Cooper were of a derogatory and less-than-sympathetic nature towards Fitzy, his deceased son and the difficulty being experienced at that time. Fitzy was red-carded for his reaction. I understand he had to be dragged off Cooper during said reaction. Not having seen one of our favourite midfielders employ violence before or since may underline how offensive were the words spoken by Cooper.

Incidentally, this isn't a story that was made up in the pub and is only known by Saints fans. The comments below are taken from Hearts website Jambos Kickback:-

noidletalk81, on 24 Mar 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:snapback.png

Well tragically Fitzy's young son (aged 6) passed away from Leukaemia in 1983, apparently the following weekend they were playing Rangers at Love Street, Fitzy came on as a sub and Cooper approached him off the ball and mocked the death of his son, in a way that I shall not repeat. Fitzy of course lost the plot and went for Cooper, resulting in him getting sent off...dragged off the pitch in tears whilst Cooper stood smiling. I worked with his brother for ten years and is a very honest and humble individual, when he told me the story he was also very emotional and it still very much angered the family years later. This is also a well known fact amongst buddies fans also.

Wonderful Footballer, not a very nice human being!

And can be found here:-

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/150476-davie-cooper/

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

Incidentally, this isn't a story that was made up in the pub and is only known by Saints fans. The comments below are taken from Hearts website Jambos Kickback:-

noidletalk81, on 24 Mar 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:snapback.png

And can be found here:-

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/150476-davie-cooper/

A few months back I was talking to a Rangers fan at work, he asked about this incident and was shocked and disgusted when I told him why Fitzpatrick "lost the plot that day" - but not surprised at the reason.
Edited by Bud the Baker

Let's have it then in all it's glory.

Exactly what was said and done?

What? You mean you jumped in and abused fellow buds without knowing the full story?

And haven't returned to the thread?

Its not the first time you have defended bigots and sectarianism but now you are defending this?

You are a sick, disgusting, vile individual oaksoft.