Music Gigs

BuddieinEK

Cheezuz... I think I saw all of them except maybe the Associates at The Bungalow in the 80s!... sorely missed. Got shown the door at the OJ gig because Edwyn Collins couldn't sing/tallk proper and I did an excellent loud version of him between songs...

Was in Berlin a couple of weeks ago for Lollapalooza Festival, where the Highlights were The Sterophonics and Muse. Saturday afternoon was The Cutthroat Razors in the SpeigelTent. Coming up (so far) are:

Bill Bailey, The Armadillo

MacFloyd, at The Toon Hall

Stylus Automatic, The Bungalow

Esperanza, The Bungalow

Simple Minds & The Stranglers, The Hydro

Muse, The Hydro

Have seen Esperanza But thy did not make much or an impression, can't remember if they were backing Bert Janch at Celtic connections or King Creosote at The gran'ole opry

Last minute decision to go and see Focus at the Ferry tonight!

Yodeadodoyodeadodoyodeadodoyodeadodo
yodeadodoyodeadodoyo-bab-baaaaa
Ahhhhhh-aaahhhh-aaaaaa-aaaaAAA!

Ohhhhhh-ooohhh-oooooo-oooOOO!

Yodeadodoyodeadodoyodeadodoyodeadodo
yodeadodoyodeadodoyo-bab-baaaaa
Ahhhhhh-aaahhhh-aaaaaa-aaaaAAA!...
Edited by Bud the Baker

GRIP!

The Apollo

The Barras

And now together at The Hydro.... Two bands, same venues, same toon, looking forward to an awesome night!

Last few standing tickets left.

From The Stranglers Official Facebook page....

To coincide with the release of the Grip collaboration and the forthcoming tour, Jim Kerr, Simple Minds vocalist, has written a blog about the impact that seeing The Stranglers had on both him and Charlie back in mid 77:

Like most people I have my fair share of indelible memories, some that I even refer to as life changing events. Witnessing The Stranglers in full thrown ascendancy, at The City Halls, Glasgow, in 1977 would qualify as one of those events and yet the concert almost never happened.

To quote the local newspaper, The Glasgow Evening Times. In June that year a row was brewing over the visit of The Stranglers to City Halls in Glasgow after the Sex Pistols had been banned from playing at the Glasgow Apollo. The reason for the ban was a threat to public order and, despite permission being previously granted for The Stranglers, some committee members were still demanding that the group be investigated.

There were also fears that the committee could be accused of double standards. The City Halls manager had in any been concerned enough about The Stranglers visit to check with authorities in Brighton where they had recently played to be told that they had been noisy but no trouble.

Even so, he suggested the Halls beef up security, saying it wasnt so much the bands that worried him as the type of fans they attracted.

Both Charlie Burchill and myself were among those fans that had been denied the chance to see the Pistols live. We were therefore on tenterhooks, hoping with all hope, that we would get to witness alternative UK Punk Royalty in flesh and blood as this indeed was how we viewed the Stranglers, thanks mostly to their debut album that had been released earlier that year and was rarely off the turntable that we shared in our grubby flat.

Mercifully the gig duly went ahead with the local fledgling Punk scene in full on attendance. A raucous night certainly ensued, and if memory serves I am sure that there was a mini riot ( by Glasgow standards) when over excited punks rushed the stage, egged on by Jean Jacques Burnel. Who else?

The music itself was red hot and glorious, a soundtrack to our times no doubt.Yes, there was a strong whiff of violence, anger, rage etc surrounding the band and their stage presence. But lets not kid ourselves, The Stranglers always had a sophistication and poetry that belonged more to the Doors than it had in common with say, The Clash/Pistols. In any case for Charlie and I, this was our first shot of punk live and we were instantly addicted.

As for my claim that it was a life changing experience? It truly was. After all as much as we had been mesmerised years earlier by seeing Bowie/Reed/Ferry and others grace the Glasgow stage. They came across as being from another planet. We might have worshipped them, but we could never have imagined actually trying to emulate them. That was a bridge too far even to our then speed fuelled imaginations.

Not so with the Stranglers however. Very much in line with the whole ethos of Punk Rock, they made us feel like rushing out the very next day and seriously starting our own bands. Which is pretty much what we did. In doing so we changed our lives forever.

For that alone, as well as their stunning music and fiery live sets, we will always be grateful to The Stranglers. They and others like them made it possible for Simple Minds to exist.

Edited by Lord Pityme

Bought Simple Minds Big Music a few month ago only lately have I started to give it a serious listen. Have to say its a very impressive album. Take out Jim Kerr and you have a bang smack up to-date album that has a club sound coming from the synths throw in bass eclectic guitar and drums you have an impressive modern sound. Jim Kerr is in fine form. Have to say very surprised just how good this album is its one of their best. Would like to go along as I am a fan of the Stranglers also. Have Faithless coming up it means a hotel which makes for an expensive night. Need to give this gig some serious thought.

We are currently 'touring' our single "Feel", i'll post video this week when released, however, doing a few local gigs for a change (which is great!)...

We are playing;

Friday 23rd supporting Cast at Paisley Town Hall

7th Nov at the Firework Display, Paisley, before moving swiftly down to Bungalow Bar and paying a set there

If anyone is interested (particularly in the latter), then nip along.

However, best gig I have been to this year was my mates band Tijuana Bibles at Oran Mor. Was a great set and energy was high

What, where and when for the Fireworks Spankin?

Have seen Esperanza But thy did not make much or an impression, can't remember if they were backing Bert Janch at Celtic connections or King Creosote at The gran'ole opry

That was then, this is now. Very impressive band are Esperanza, a £10 entry to The Bungalow confirms this.

The Apollo

The Barras

And now together at The Hydro.... Two bands, same venues, same toon, looking forward to an awesome night!

Last few standing tickets left.

From The Stranglers Official Facebook page....

To coincide with the release of the Grip collaboration and the forthcoming tour, Jim Kerr, Simple Minds vocalist, has written a blog about the impact that seeing The Stranglers had on both him and Charlie back in mid 77:

Like most people I have my fair share of indelible memories, some that I even refer to as life changing events. Witnessing The Stranglers in full thrown ascendancy, at The City Halls, Glasgow, in 1977 would qualify as one of those events and yet the concert almost never happened.

To quote the local newspaper, The Glasgow Evening Times. In June that year a row was brewing over the visit of The Stranglers to City Halls in Glasgow after the Sex Pistols had been banned from playing at the Glasgow Apollo. The reason for the ban was a threat to public order and, despite permission being previously granted for The Stranglers, some committee members were still demanding that the group be investigated.

There were also fears that the committee could be accused of double standards. The City Halls manager had in any been concerned enough about The Stranglers visit to check with authorities in Brighton where they had recently played to be told that they had been noisy but no trouble.

Even so, he suggested the Halls beef up security, saying it wasnt so much the bands that worried him as the type of fans they attracted.

Both Charlie Burchill and myself were among those fans that had been denied the chance to see the Pistols live. We were therefore on tenterhooks, hoping with all hope, that we would get to witness alternative UK Punk Royalty in flesh and blood as this indeed was how we viewed the Stranglers, thanks mostly to their debut album that had been released earlier that year and was rarely off the turntable that we shared in our grubby flat.

Mercifully the gig duly went ahead with the local fledgling Punk scene in full on attendance. A raucous night certainly ensued, and if memory serves I am sure that there was a mini riot ( by Glasgow standards) when over excited punks rushed the stage, egged on by Jean Jacques Burnel. Who else?

The music itself was red hot and glorious, a soundtrack to our times no doubt.Yes, there was a strong whiff of violence, anger, rage etc surrounding the band and their stage presence. But lets not kid ourselves, The Stranglers always had a sophistication and poetry that belonged more to the Doors than it had in common with say, The Clash/Pistols. In any case for Charlie and I, this was our first shot of punk live and we were instantly addicted.

As for my claim that it was a life changing experience? It truly was. After all as much as we had been mesmerised years earlier by seeing Bowie/Reed/Ferry and others grace the Glasgow stage. They came across as being from another planet. We might have worshipped them, but we could never have imagined actually trying to emulate them. That was a bridge too far even to our then speed fuelled imaginations.

Not so with the Stranglers however. Very much in line with the whole ethos of Punk Rock, they made us feel like rushing out the very next day and seriously starting our own bands. Which is pretty much what we did. In doing so we changed our lives forever.

For that alone, as well as their stunning music and fiery live sets, we will always be grateful to The Stranglers. They and others like them made it possible for Simple Minds to exist.

We were at the City Halls gig. The sound was loud, muddy and generally shit. Every song sounded like 'Grip'... it was magical...

A for the mini-riot... a couple of guys dressed in bin-bags diving off the stage, Did not a riot make. Still, the drunk Councillors up in the balcony thought so and immediately banned Punk gigs in Glasgow.... this was Paisley's (and my) gain!

Memories....

Wednesday ,June 22nd 1977, The aforementioned gig was halted early ( after about 9 or 10 songs ) as there was a stage invasion and after about ten minutes the band returned , played a couple more tunes , but a further invasion of the stage led to the gig being stopped ,if memory serves me well ?

What, where and when for the Fireworks Spankin?

That was then, this is now. Very impressive band are Esperanza, a £10 entry to The Bungalow confirms this.

We were at the City Halls gig. The sound was loud, muddy and generally shit. Every song sounded like 'Grip'... it was magical...

A for the mini-riot... a couple of guys dressed in bin-bags diving off the stage, Did not a riot make. Still, the drunk Councillors up in the balcony thought so and immediately banned Punk gigs in Glasgow.... this was Paisley's (and my) gain!

Memories....

Hi Vambo, think we are on at 6pm at the main stage at Cross/High street.

then down to Bungalow for a night too (busy one)

Cast gig at town hall tomorrow, on at 8pm.

Edited by spankin_panda

Just bought tickets for Wolf Alice at the Barrowlands next year. Spoke about this band on here a good while ago - I saw them at King Tuts when they only had an EP out, then recently saw them at the O2 ABC. Now Barrowlands, next stop the Hydro. Guarantee they're heading that direction. Their debut album has been Mercury Prize nominated, they're on 'Later' tonight... When I first stumbled across them I knew they were heading to the big time. Great modern rock band. IMHO he added.

Just bought tickets for Wolf Alice at the Barrowlands next year. Spoke about this band on here a good while ago - I saw them at King Tuts when they only had an EP out, then recently saw them at the O2 ABC. Now Barrowlands, next stop the Hydro. Guarantee they're heading that direction. Their debut album has been Mercury Prize nominated, they're on 'Later' tonight... When I first stumbled across them I knew they were heading to the big time. Great modern rock band. IMHO he added.

I saw Wolf Alice at the Loppalooza festival in Berlin in September. They were indeed pretty good.

I'm off to the Hydro next month to see a band.

It's a venue I've been to once before and I feckin hated the experience. I thought the sound was shit. The atmosphere was very similar to the SECC. I'd sooner go to a gig at venues like the Barrowlands or the Bungalow Bar.

If only we could get a time machine built to transport us back to the 70s and 80s when the Apollo was open, Listen Records was still going strong and there were decent players we could roar on from the North Bank......

Every time I've been to the Hydro both the sound and the atmosphere was brilliant. Del Amitri at Celtic Connections, then The Eagles, and then Prince. The last two bands I saw in the SECC Aircraft Hangar masquerading as a concert venue were Rush and before that, My Chemical Romance. The sound at My Chemical Romance was fcuking bollocks. Rush was better, maybe because their sound system is in itself better? Shame that it looks like Rush are chucking touring before getting to play the Hydro. The SECC is shit. Better than Ingliston Showground in Edinburgh when it used to host gigs mind you. It was shockngly bad.

Every time I've been to the Hydro both the sound and the atmosphere was brilliant. Del Amitri at Celtic Connections, then The Eagles, and then Prince. The last two bands I saw in the SECC Aircraft Hangar masquerading as a concert venue were Rush and before that, My Chemical Romance. The sound at My Chemical Romance was fcuking bollocks. Rush was better, maybe because their sound system is in itself better? Shame that it looks like Rush are chucking touring before getting to play the Hydro. The SECC is shit. Better than Ingliston Showground in Edinburgh when it used to host gigs mind you. It was shockngly bad.

Hydro sound is great everywhere except ground level towards the rear off centre... twice I have been there and both times the distortion and reverb brom the upper galleries is awful... really ruined the sound quality.

Hydro sound is great everywhere except ground level towards the rear off centre... twice I have been there and both times the distortion and reverb brom the upper galleries is awful... really ruined the sound quality.

In that case, so far, I have avoided the Hydro's very own Bermuda Triangle area. The tickets I have for both U2 and Noel Gallagher are standing area ones, so will report back if any issues. My Eagles tickets were ground floor ones, but were quite close to the front and left, with great sound quality.

Totally agree. Had tickets to go and see them at ABC, but wife fell ill the day before and I had to miss it. Was totally gutted. Best band I've heard in ages, with a bit of Breeders, Pixies and Smashing Pumpkins mixed in there. Singer is quite easy on the eye too. Their album was the soundtrack for the family touring round Islay and Mull this summer, so kids are into them as well. Great band, IMHO too.

Just back from three Gary Numan gigs at The Forum in Kentish Town. Replicas, The Pleasure Principle and Telekon albums played across the three nights. Sold out each night, amazing atmospheres and stage sets. Worth the aching calf muscles.punk.gif

Bought his Hits double album a few weeks ago which is a wee bit strange as I never bought anything of him first time around. Did like some of the early singles. Not even played the album yet though will get round to it. You must be a big fan.

Got Faithless on the 25th Nov really looking forward to that will be dancing my nuts off.

Second half of MacFloyd at The Toon Hall was great!

Last summer walked past the Pavilion in Rothesay late at night with the wife on our way home. Heard the sound of Pink Floyd coming from the old lady. Tried to get in but was too late. They sounded very impressive from outside the building was gutted I missed that.