Music Gigs

BuddieinEK

Heart were superb at the Royal Concert Hall last night. Ann Wilson is every bit as powerful a singer as she was when I first saw them over 35 years ago. Nancy Wilson's guitar work was sublime. I'll maybe never get to see one of my favourite bands again, if so, what a way to go out. Loud, rocking, exquisite vocals, superb musicianship and a set list that included 'Barracuda', 'Crazy On You', 'Magic Man', and a haunting version of 'Alone' where Ann Wilson's voice just melted the place. Their encore version of Led Zeppelin's 'No Quarter' was pure brilliance.

Magnificent. 10/10.

Edited by pozbaird

• 2 weeks later...

Elvis Costello at the Barrowlands last night - didn't really do it for me. A standing venue deliberately chosen over posher all-seated venues deliberately - as this was a 'back to basics' rock show. Minimal lighting, no staging, and Costello dressed by Bruce Springsteen - black boots and jeans, black shirt and waistcoat, no trademark hat, black shades... So far, so Springsteen... then he opens up with an obscure B-side, and the sound is as weak as the pishwater masquerading as beer in the Barrowlands bar. Costello's vocals are muffled, the guitar is not nearly loud enough and the drums dominate everything.

The sound crew got it sorted, but it took over eight songs before they did. A weird set list if he intended to 'rock the house'. It was all very, very flat. Things got going in the encores when a spirited 'Oliver's Army' created a genuine 'this is a rock gig' vibe, but he then lost all momentum by throwing in a couple of slow paced obscure tracks. He ended on a slow vibe with 'Shipbuilding' and a clearly deliberate choice of 'Tramp the Dirt Down'. Cue 'fcuk Thatcher, fcuking bitch cow Tory boot' type cries from a few tanked-up attendees.

I appreciate what he was trying. It would have worked too, had he not played so many obscure slowies that merely created multiple opportunities for folk to nip out for a lavvy trip or go to the bar. The strange song choices continually killed any momentum and an all-standing crowd stood motionless for much of the evening clearly trying to figure out what the hell album that song he just played actually appeared on. It didn't need to be a 'greatest hits' set, but FFS there wasn't even 'Pump it Up' to get the juices flowing.

Here endeth my gig review.

Elvis Costello at the Barrowlands last night - didn't really do it for me. A standing venue deliberately chosen over posher all-seated venues deliberately - as this was a 'back to basics' rock show. Minimal lighting, no staging, and Costello dressed by Bruce Springsteen - black boots and jeans, black shirt and waistcoat, no trademark hat, black shades... So far, so Springsteen... then he opens up with an obscure B-side, and the sound is as weak as the pishwater masquerading as beer in the Barrowlands bar. Costello's vocals are muffled, the guitar is not nearly loud enough and the drums dominate everything.

The sound crew got it sorted, but it took over eight songs before they did. A weird set list if he intended to 'rock the house'. It was all very, very flat. Things got going in the encores when a spirited 'Oliver's Army' created a genuine 'this is a rock gig' vibe, but he then lost all momentum by throwing in a couple of slow paced obscure tracks. He ended on a slow vibe with 'Shipbuilding' and a clearly deliberate choice of 'Tramp the Dirt Down'. Cue 'fcuk Thatcher, fcuking bitch cow Tory boot' type cries from a few tanked-up attendees.

I appreciate what he was trying. It would have worked too, had he not played so many obscure slowies that merely created multiple opportunities for folk to nip out for a lavvy trip or go to the bar. The strange song choices continually killed any momentum and an all-standing crowd stood motionless for much of the evening clearly trying to figure out what the hell album that song he just played actually appeared on. It didn't need to be a 'greatest hits' set, but FFS there wasn't even 'Pump it Up' to get the juices flowing.

Here endeth my gig review.

No Pump It Up?

That was all you had to say.

Shite gig. ;)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Black & White Army mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered the 3 CD live recording of Springsteen's Hampden Park concert through his website. Just finished listening to it - stunning, just stunning. Amazing sound quality and picks up the atmosphere of what was a warm sunny night in Glasgow. 3 CDs, 34 songs... This could go down as my favourite album of all time. Brooooceeeeeee!