Music Gigs

BuddieinEK

1 minute ago, salmonbuddie said:

Elvis Costello song, too, iirc.

Yeah, as I said Dave Edmunds & Nick Lowe were signed to different record companies and I suppose it worked it's way to Edmunds via Lowe who'd produced Costello's first elpee with Stiff Records.

Switching back on topic (slightly) I reckon that first Stiff Tour with Lowe, Costello & Ian Dury et al would've been something to see - can anybuddy confirm? 

On Saturday, November 05, 2016 at 2:28 PM, beyond our ken said:

I have to say, it was one of the greatest privileges in my life to attend that gig last night.  Both Benny & Graham sang beautifully and played wonderfully, even if the banter over deciding which key they were going to play belied their age a little.

Graham Lyle was openly weeping as they got to the end of "I believe in you" and Benny Gallagher's smile to him at the end of the song was a picture.  Both men were visibly moved by the singalongs on "the runaway" and "I wanna stay with you"

So many high points, including the "hooligan" version of  "when i'm dead & gone". 

But mostly, just a pleasure to be in the room with two such humble and brilliant musicians.  I got to shake Graham's hand at the end and he was genuinely surprised to hear how much it meant to there.

It's high time Scotland celebrated and honoured these guys , as much for who they are as for what they have done

They played Rothesay Pavilion last year which was fantastic to put it mildly. They were the first artists  the Beatles signed to Apple records as song writers.  

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:45 AM, FTOF said:

http://www.livenation.co.uk/show/873662/the-skids-40th-anniversary-show/glasgow/2017-05-06/en

Skids 40th anniversary tour.

Got my tickets a few weeks ago.

Saw them a couple of years ago and they were superb.:thumbs2

Interesting to see Punk bands rockin' it out for 40th Anniversary Tours. I was always a bit retro in my musical tastes but I remember seeing a few of my old faves like Nazereth and the Zombies doing 40th Anniversary gigs a few years back - had a tear in my eye when Rod Argent sung God Gave Rock'n'Roll To You.

Too old to Rock'n'Roll, too young to die..............

10 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

Elvis Costello song, too, iirc.

10 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Yeah, as I said Dave Edmunds & Nick Lowe were signed to different record companies and I suppose it worked it's way to Edmunds via Lowe who'd produced Costello's first elpee with Stiff Records.

Switching back on topic (slightly) I reckon that first Stiff Tour with Lowe, Costello & Ian Dury et al would've been something to see - can anybuddy confirm? 

I was actually thinking about that earlier...

elvis and Girl Talk....

john Cooper Clark was on C4 news...

i first saw HIM opening (aye, honestly) for elvis and the attractions.... Back in the day after radio with pictures died out.

we had to go to gigs....

as JCC admitted - most folk weren't there for the poetry....

I saw JCC and Attila the Stockbroker in a pub in 1978 or so.  Very funny.  Good tip off on Skids, thanks for that , will give that a pop.    Got Sabbath's last gig in Scotland to look forward to in January, first saw them 38 year ago as well, jeez, when bands were loud, not like these days when you can have a conversation at a gig...  I live in Edinburgh and there's almost nothing happening music wise in this town these days apart from the RSNO, and they're really just a covers band.

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:38 AM, Bud the Baker said:

Rockpile - the first band I ever saw on the radio just now. Officially released as a Dave Edmunds solo record due to contractual reasons but it was Dave, Nick Lowe, Billy Bremner and Terry Williams. :headbang Old rockers never die altho' it might not always smell that way! :green

THIS might interest you...

http://www.concertvault.com/rockpile/heatwave-festival-august-23-1980.html

6 hours ago, eastlandssaint said:

Martin Stephenson and The Daintees  at King Tuts last night.  brilliant.

He is brilliant live always makes you feel as if he invited you into his living space with good story's in between the music. He moved to the dark isle not sure if he still stays there.