Music Gigs

BuddieinEK

Just back in hotel room in New York after seeing Bruce Springsteen on Broadway. All that needs said is that Mrs Poz and I will remember this for the rest of our lives. We were six rows from the front in a tiny 900 seater theatre. My answer to the question ‘what is the best concert you’ve ever been to’ is now a shut case. For ever. Still can’t believe that just happened. Cannot believe we got tickets in the ballot in the first place and so close to the stage. Was simply stunning from start to finish.

So jealous now. I’m glad it was worth the effort, by all accounts everyone that has seen it has raved about it, including all their critics. I must admit when I heard he extended the run in NYC until year end my heart sank and I thought to myself “Bruce your wasting your time. Get the hell out of there, write an album, tour one more time, as time is running out!”

I’m a huge fan but I’ve had mixed feelings about the whole broadway run. Would love to see him in such a small venue but when the original dates were announced it was in the “too difficult” bracket...lottery of getting tickets, exorbitant prices (>$500 a skull), flights/hotels, time off work, who’d look after the kids, etc. So I never even bothered. I’d read his fantastic autobiography and seen him play acoustic at a relatively small venue (Playhouse in Edinburgh on the Ghost of Tom Joad tour). This Broadway run seemed like a shortened version of that with a mixture of songs and extracts from his book. So I didn’t feel I could justify the expense and effort involved. Deep down it felt a bit like he’d sold out and that the Broadway run was a bit elitist. Almost like he was winding down from touring. Not something I’d have expected Bruce to ever do...no spontaneity, set songs each night and those prices, not for the blue collar workers in his songs.

I’ve loved Bruce (and ESB) since 84 and one of the few artists I’ve travelled to see, albeit only in the UK. But the astronomical ticket price, crazy lottery booking system, short 2hr show (I know that’s standard but we’ve been spoiled by almost 4hr shows!) consisting of excerpts/readings from his autobiography and a set which you knew hadn’t changed in months...well it didn’t have the same pull as previous shows. Never thought I’d say that!

Not sure if he’ll bring the Broadway show to the West End. Will we ever see the E Street band perform on these shores again? Regardless, Springsteen was/is by a country mile the best live act I have ever witnessed and hopefully there will be one more proper tour.

The longer he stays doing the Broadway shows the more unlikely that becomes.

8 hours ago, Stegman said:

So jealous now. I’m glad it was worth the effort, by all accounts everyone that has seen it has raved about it, including all their critics. I must admit when I heard he extended the run in NYC until year end my heart sank and I thought to myself “Bruce your wasting your time. Get the hell out of there, write an album, tour one more time, as time is running out!”

I’m a huge fan but I’ve had mixed feelings about the whole broadway run. Would love to see him in such a small venue but when the original dates were announced it was in the “too difficult” bracket...lottery of getting tickets, exorbitant prices (>$500 a skull), flights/hotels, time off work, who’d look after the kids, etc. So I never even bothered. I’d read his fantastic autobiography and seen him play acoustic at a relatively small venue (Playhouse in Edinburgh on the Ghost of Tom Joad tour). This Broadway run seemed like a shortened version of that with a mixture of songs and extracts from his book. So I didn’t feel I could justify the expense and effort involved. Deep down it felt a bit like he’d sold out and that the Broadway run was a bit elitist. Almost like he was winding down from touring. Not something I’d have expected Bruce to ever do...no spontaneity, set songs each night and those prices, not for the blue collar workers in his songs.

I’ve loved Bruce (and ESB) since 84 and one of the few artists I’ve travelled to see, albeit only in the UK. But the astronomical ticket price, crazy lottery booking system, short 2hr show (I know that’s standard but we’ve been spoiled by almost 4hr shows!) consisting of excerpts/readings from his autobiography and a set which you knew hadn’t changed in months...well it didn’t have the same pull as previous shows. Never thought I’d say that!

Not sure if he’ll bring the Broadway show to the West End. Will we ever see the E Street band perform on these shores again? Regardless, Springsteen was/is by a country mile the best live act I have ever witnessed and hopefully there will be one more proper tour.

The longer he stays doing the Broadway shows the more unlikely that becomes.

The Broadway show was more than a concert, more than ‘an audience with’ or more than simply Bruce interspersing songs by reciting passages from his book. It really was a beautifully structured proper show, with the narrative having a beginning, a story, and coming round full circle to  his childhood in New Jersey. Unbelievably moving in places, especially about his parents, Clarence, and the arrangements of the material weaved through the story. The staging, the lighting, the whole thing has been worked and honed. His rendition of ‘Born in the USA’ was simply stunning. Following a narrative about him and two friends being drafted, but not being sent to Vietnam, and two of his friends going and being killed. The lighting faded to stark streaks of white light, with  Bruce on semi-acoustic guitar mimicing the sounds of army helicopters. The volume was incredible, it went from acoustic to ear shattering. Then he perfomed the song with ferocity and sheer venom. At one point, he backed slowly away from the mic, walked to the stage edge, and without amplification, sang acapella to absolute silence. It was simply wonderful. The whole show linked from one passage in his career to the next. It was funny, sad, uplifting. I have seen Bruce many times in ‘normal’ gig situations. This was a different deal. The guy was just incredible.

I cannot see him taking this anywhere after the Broadway run ends. Fingers X he simply moves onto band material, or recording, touring....

I wondered if he will film any of the remaining run for a DVD or movie. Would be great, once the run ends, to have it captured for posterity.

Edited by pozbaird

The Broadway show was more than a concert, more than ‘an audience with’ or more than simply Bruce interspersing songs by reciting passages from his book. It really was a beautifully structured proper show, with the narrative having a beginning, a story, and coming round full circle to  his childhood in New Jersey. Unbelievably moving in places, especially about his parents, Clarence, and the arrangements of the material weaved through the story. The staging, the lighting, the whole thing has been worked and honed. His rendition of ‘Born in the USA’ was simply stunning. Following a narrative about him and two friends being drafted, but not being sent to Vietnam, and two of his friends going and being killed. The lighting faded to stark streaks of white light, with  Bruce on semi-acoustic guitar mimicing the sounds of army helicopters. The volume was incredible, it went from acoustic to ear shattering. Then he perfomed the song with ferocity and sheer venom. At one point, he backed slowly away from the mic, walked to the stage edge, and without amplification, sang acapella to absolute silence. It was simply wonderful. The whole show linked from one passage in his career to the next. It was funny, sad, uplifting. I have seen Bruce many times in ‘normal’ gig situations. This was a different deal. The guy was just incredible.
I cannot see him taking this anywhere after the Broadway run ends. Fingers X he simply moves onto band material, or recording, touring....
I wondered if he will film any of the remaining run for a DVD or movie. Would be great, once the run ends, to have it captured for posterity.

Wished I’d sold one of the kids now! Nice review[emoji4]

On 9 May 2018 at 5:45 AM, DumboBud said:

Going to a recording of the Quay sessions tonight.  Aidan Moffat and RM Hubbert which should be good and the Magic Numbers which is unlikely to be good. 

Then next Thursday Aidan and Hubby at St Lukes, a new venue for me. 

How was the Magic Numbers ? I seen them at bute feast last year and was shocked how good they were loud and rocking.

4 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

How was the Magic Numbers ? I seen them at bute feast last year and was shocked how good they were loud and rocking.

Didn’t stay for all their set, they seemed like a poor Fleetwood Mac tribute band for the couple of songs I stayed for. 

9 minutes ago, southside saint said:

The Bootleg Beatles were outstanding on a lovely night at Kelvingrove Bandstand last Saturday. 

Next up is James Grant in Millport next weekend.

Been to see the Bootleg Beatles a few times South side and they don't disappoint. 

7 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Anyone going to see Ed Sheerin this weekend?

Not someone I particularly like musically but three cheers for his stance against ticket touting sites! :happyclapper

Ed Sheeran fans braced for ticket cancellation at Hampden Park

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44330148

His stance might me more admirable if he wasn't charging £75 a ticket in the first instance.<_<

49 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

£75 isn't expensive for a major artist these days, tight arse. :P

£75 to listen to any of those rip off merchants is absolutely ridiculous.

But if you're daft enough to pay it...................................................

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

Rip off? Ed Sheerin? 

Aye, daft right enough. :byebye

I'm not singling out Ed Sheeran, I just happen to believe that concert tickets are hugely overpriced for the product that you get.

It's a classic case of bumping up the price because people are desperate enough and IMO daft enough to pay an exorbitant amount of money. Supply and demand I suppose. However, trying to paint yourself as some sort of crusader for financial fairness and then charging £75 a ticket doesn't stack up for me.

Maybe it's because I've never really appreciated any "mega group or singer" and had to pay that type of money.

No musician is worth £75 a ticket IMO.

12 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Saints said:

I get what your saying overall. I rarely go to any major artists concerts so when I do its a sore  one when I see the prices.

There's a lot more big names who charge considerably more than Sheerin.

Indeed.

£150 for The Rolling Stones.

Although I doubt they're able to do much "rolling" nowadays.

59 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

We got charged £95 for Paul Weller (£47.50 each) then another £12 odd was added in handling and postage fees.

You'd think it was nuclear waste that they were handling and posting at that f**king price.

You also get charged handling fees for e-tickets. :blink:

When did pressing a button on a keyboard become "handling"?

I get my tickets posted out, in order to ensure that they have to print the tickets and put them in an envelope . At least that involves basic "handling.<_<

I don’t get how Ed Sheeran is able to pack out Hampden for three nights. He seems a decent bloke, I like a few of his tunes, but he’s one bloke with a delay box and some loops.

Even sticking to the world of single punters armed with loops and a delay box, with a guitar strapped to them, KT Tunstall pisses all over that tattoo’ed ginger warbler, IMHO.

Hampden. Three nights. Fair play son, but for the life of me.... I cannot understand how he is so huge.

Edited by pozbaird

• 2 weeks later...