Music Gigs

BuddieinEK

On 6/2/2018 at 9:44 AM, FTOF said:

I'm not singling out Ed Sheeran, I just happen to believe that concert tickets are hugely overpriced for the product that you get.

It's a classic case of bumping up the price because people are desperate enough and IMO daft enough to pay an exorbitant amount of money. Supply and demand I suppose. However, trying to paint yourself as some sort of crusader for financial fairness and then charging £75 a ticket doesn't stack up for me.

Maybe it's because I've never really appreciated any "mega group or singer" and had to pay that type of money.

No musician is worth £75 a ticket IMO.

Agree with you. In the old days artists got a percentage of record sales. Today their biggest income comes from touring. Up and coming bands concerts are good value but when bands become big the price to see them becomes expensive. Was offerd two Stones tickets for £200.  No chance I would pay that to see anyone. 

On 6/13/2018 at 10:47 AM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Agree with you. In the old days artists got a percentage of record sales. Today their biggest income comes from touring. Up and coming bands concerts are good value but when bands become big the price to see them becomes expensive. Was offerd two Stones tickets for £200.  No chance I would pay that to see anyone. 

Exactly , nowadays they don't really get that , certainly nothing like they got back in the day , so the acts tend to make their dosh from playing live. I remember reading in the 7ts that it often cost the Who money to tour because of the amount of equipment they went through- how times have changed. .

On 6/13/2018 at 10:47 AM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I paid £5 for the Jam , £6.50 for UB40 supported by Simply Red and £25 for U2 and Oasis these two had some line up of support acts , more recently £47.50 for Paul Weller . Its been a steady rise in prices but the last few years it has just went nuts, even merchandise has went through the roof. 

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Not a concert as such but going through to Edinburgh next month and will drop in to the National Museum of Scotland to see Rip It Up, Story of Scottish Pop.

https://www.nms.ac.uk/national-museum-of-scotland/whats-on/rip-it-up/

riu_landscapeangled_lowres.jpg?crop=0,0.11516326206604574,0,0.32916357959356468&cropmode=percentage&width=1920&height=800&rnd=131713752420000000

Queen of Scottish Pop.

Get me her autograph if you meet her.

I paid £5 for the Jam , £6.50 for UB40 supported by Simply Red and £25 for U2 and Oasis these two had some line up of support acts , more recently £47.50 for Paul Weller . Its been a steady rise in prices but the last few years it has just went nuts, even merchandise has went through the roof. 

Ten years ago, I paid over £100 a ticket to see Tom Waits at the Edinburgh Playhouse. It was music, theatre and spectacle. It was worth every penny ???? Can’t see Waits ever touring Europe again. It was one to tell the grandkids about. On the other hand, tickets for the New York Dolls at the Garage a couple of years later were £17.50 plus fees. Brilliant gig!

2 hours ago, 26-59-87-13 said:

Ten years ago, I paid over £100 a ticket to see Tom Waits at the Edinburgh Playhouse. It was music, theatre and spectacle. It was worth every penny Can’t see Waits ever touring Europe again. It was one to tell the grandkids about. On the other hand, tickets for the New York Dolls at the Garage a couple of years later were £17.50 plus fees. Brilliant gig!

I was also at that Tom Waits gig. Fantastic gig and everyone had to supply proof of identity to try and stop the touts. 

A complete shot in the dark.

going to see a geezer and his band tonight in Embrae.. never heard any of his stuff, or obviously seen him perform. Normally i would go through a studious process (much like the clean zone, hygenic process of putting a new album on your seperates hi- fi back in the day) of acquiring some of the bands music, sitting in a darkened room, and letting it do its stuff... or or not as the case may be (Mark E Smith).

but not tonight... never heard one tune but jumped in head first and will witness what Kiefer Sutherland (nope, son of, not brother of) is aw aboot., I'll let you know on the other side.

On 6/29/2018 at 10:08 AM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Got mine's today.  Good value for that price with no booking fee.

I watched TRNSMT on the BBC and was blown away by Gerry Cinnamon. I have usually at least heard of acts who appear at festivals, but I simply had no idea who this guy was. The entire crowd seemed to know the words to his song ‘Belter’, and I thought he was great. Read about him on the internet, downloaded his album, single, and EP by his previous band The Cinnamons, and have been playing it non-stop. Bloody brilliant, some hilarious and sharp lyrics, and great tunes. Can’t believe I’d never even heard of the guy.