Music Gigs

BuddieinEK

6 minutes ago, southside saint said:

The 4 Of Us playing at Clutha Vaults for free on 13 Oct. Given I paid 15 quid to see them at a busy Oran Mor this year, that's a coup for The Clutha.

Who are the other 3 dudes apart from yourself ?

On 9/22/2018 at 10:02 AM, pozbaird said:

Sometime around 1979/80, I was in ‘Listen’ across from the Paisley museum, and the young bloke working in the shop suddenly put on a record that made me stop in my tracks and, like Wolf Alice, just go ‘wow who are they’.... it was U2, and the guy in Listen was a young Irish bloke working there for a bit. He told me these young kids were a new Dublin band and he knew one of them. This was one of their very first Irish release singles and he brought it over with him. Like Wolf Alice, I tried to find out who this ‘U2’ were. I bought all their early singles before the debut album ‘Boy’ even came out. First saw them on a university tour at Strathclyde, with the ticket costing £1.75. I knew they were going to be massive. After the university, saw them at Tiffany’s Ballroom, then a bigger venue, then.... well, next stop stadiums and world domination.

With me it was seeing them on TOGWT. I was still at school and the following day walked from Merksworth to Listen and bought "Boy".

I had received an unconditional acceptance to do Chemistry at Strathclyde when they played there but, because I wasn't technically a student they wouldn't sell me any tickets.  I did get to see them at Tiffany's though (small world Poz) when they were supported by The Alarm.

That gig was the first time they played "Sunday Bloody Sunday" at a gig.

Here is that gig at Tiffany's...

Next gig for me is Killing Joke at the Barrowlands next month.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:02 AM, pozbaird said:

...now they are Mercury Music Prize winners and all over the mainstream media today. Next stop The Hydro, as predicted by yours truly back in 2016 (amongst many others to be fair). I heard their first single in passing when someone in the  ‘Soccer AM’ studio used it to soundtrack a goals clip. I instantly looked up from my cuppa’ thinking ‘who are they, that’s brilliant...’ I texted my mate who likes the same sort of music as me, he’d never heard of them. As I posted on here back at the time - we immediately checked them out, bought their first EPs, saw them in a three-quarters full King Tuts, and we knew, instantly, that these four kids were going to be massive.

It’s the second time in my life this has happened. Sometime around 1979/80, I was in ‘Listen’ across from the Paisley museum, and the young bloke working in the shop suddenly put on a record that made me stop in my tracks and, like Wolf Alice, just go ‘wow who are they’.... it was U2, and the guy in Listen was a young Irish bloke working there for a bit. He told me these young kids were a new Dublin band and he knew one of them. This was one of their very first Irish release singles and he brought it over with him. Like Wolf Alice, I tried to find out who this ‘U2’ were. I bought all their early singles before the debut album ‘Boy’ even came out. First saw them on a university tour at Strathclyde, with the ticket costing £1.75. I knew they were going to be massive. After the university, saw them at Tiffany’s Ballroom, then a bigger venue, then.... well, next stop stadiums and world domination.

I always found it weird, watching U2 at Hampden or somewhere, and thinking back to a half empty Strathclyde University, and that young Irish kid in Listen records... a long time ago, a different world.

Anyway, well done Wolf Alice.

Saw Wolf Alice play on Sunday Brunch (Channel 4) of all places in 2015.

Bought their first album as a result.

Second album bought on day of release.

So many different types of tunes in their repertoire.

Anyway,going to see The Skids/Big Country concert in Barrowlands on December 21st.

Last time I saw Big Country in Barrowlands was June 1986.:ph34r:

Also, got Chvrches at The Hydro in February.

Edited by FTOF

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Saw Wolf Alice play on Sunday Brunch (Channel 4) of all places in 2015.

Bought their first album as a result.

Second album bought on day of release.

So many different types of tunes in their repertoire.

I saw George Ezra on Sunday Brunch before he became "popular", bought downloaded his album and the rest is history.

Seen a lot of artists on this show, they always perform live and, even though plenty are not my cup of tea, always impressed if they give a good performance,

The music snobs will be having a meltdown. :wink:

14 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I saw George Ezra on Sunday Brunch before he became "popular", bought downloaded his album and the rest is history.

Seen a lot of artists on this show, they always perform live and, even though plenty are not my cup of tea, always impressed if they give a good performance,

The music snobs will be having a meltdown. :wink:

Indeed.

No hiding behind fakery on that show. Backing music usually stripped back to the bare minimum.

Also picked up a couple of albums as a result of the video clips they play during commercial breaks.

Edited by FTOF

On the strength of @pozbaird's post, I downloaded both Wolf Alice albums  and have just listened to them back to back.

While there are some great songs (such as Bros, Silk and Don't Delete the Kisses) I found a lot of it to be pretty derivative.

I know that is a criticism aimed at a lot of new music but in this case the band have clearly been big fans of 4AD records because you can hear bits of Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Chapterhouse and Birthday Party while Space and Time is suspiciously similar to Chocolate by Snow Patrol.

I enjoyed it despite that, it's much better than, say, The Dubliners, Brendan Shine or the Wolfetones.

19 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

With me it was seeing them on TOGWT. I was still at school and the following day walked from Merksworth to Listen and bought "Boy".

I had received an unconditional acceptance to do Chemistry at Strathclyde when they played there but, because I wasn't technically a student they wouldn't sell me any tickets.  I did get to see them at Tiffany's though (small world Poz) when they were supported by The Alarm.

That gig was the first time they played "Sunday Bloody Sunday" at a gig.

Here is that gig at Tiffany's...

Next gig for me is Killing Joke at the Barrowlands next month.

I forgot how good an album October was

59 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

I don't know if I hit the wrong button, but when i clicked on a link to the Eagles (or what's left of them) at the SSE the cheapest tickets were around £370 pounds

I had a look at buying tickets for Christmas for my in-laws in the pre-sale- prices started at £239, then approx £370, £470 and £650 for front row.

Needless to say they are getting a selection box and a Broons annual instead.

On 10/3/2018 at 8:20 PM, southside saint said:

The 4 Of Us playing at Clutha Vaults for free on 13 Oct. Given I paid 15 quid to see them at a busy Oran Mor this year, that's a coup for The Clutha.

What time are they playing at mate?

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:
On 10/12/2018 at 3:28 PM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:
Stevie Rogers and his band Rothesay tomorrow in Rothesay sold out. Son of Paul Rogers Bad Company very talented and has a voice to match his father. 

Was it free?

All gigs are £10.00 Rogers has been the highest fee so far to put on. Nick Harper next up November.  Transclyde Music is a none. profit organisation run by music enthusiasts to bring gigs to the island. 

On 10/20/2018 at 12:20 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:
On 10/20/2018 at 10:11 AM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:
All gigs are £10.00 Rogers has been the highest fee so far to put on. Nick Harper next up November.  Transclyde Music is a none. profit organisation run by music enthusiasts to bring gigs to the island. 

Whoosh!

Sometimes it's just bad company is that free ?  Just wanted to put Transclyde out there .