Music Gigs

BuddieinEK

Elderslie band King of Birds supported Paisley singer Jill Jackson in Howwood last week.

One of the best gigs I've been to (and I went to 120 last year alone).

Check out King of Birds if you get the chance... They owned the crowd from the first song!

Their debut album Eve of Destruction is getting rave reviews from the likes of Billy Sloan and Ricky Ross!

It's also my album of the year so far!

Old farts like me might remember King of Birds members Charlie and Stirling Gorman as key members in the 90s band Murmer!

I reckon they are the best thing to come out of Elderslie since William Wallace!

That was f**king gallus ! If St Mirren put in half the effort as the Specials did tonight,  we are staying up.  Enjoy your self,  its later than you think,  enjoy yourself,  while your still in the pink . The years go by .............

Enjoy yourself,  enjoy yourself,  its later than you think.  

8 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

The Smyths at the garage this Saturday , seen them a couple of times and always a great show.

There are a couple bands at Troon for the May Day, Friday Street event ,  South Beach hotel from about 3pm  Saturday and then starting in the Troon Concert Hall from about 7.30 -12:30. .

After the trip to Poundland you could easily make it for the evening gig. .

1 hour ago, saintnextlifetime said:

There are a couple bands at Troon for the May Day, Friday Street event ,  South Beach hotel from about 3pm  Saturday and then starting in the Troon Concert Hall from about 7.30 -12:30. .

After the trip to Poundland you could easily make it for the evening gig. .

What or who are Friday Street  , I’ve seen it mentioned on various things , are they DJ’s ?

12 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

The Smyths at the garage this Saturday , seen them a couple of times and always a great show.

They are pretty good, I think Smiths Utd were maybe a bit better, however, they venue was better so may have been that.

Other than Moz gigs, this is the closest I'll ever come to seeing the Smiths so always good to see both these cover bands. 

Edited by spankin_panda

Friday St are a bunch of guys that arrange events that are 6ts/Mod orientated with guest DJ's and live bands ,  no doubt, there will a scooter competition too.  .
:wink:
Aye, the clue's in the name...

:)

Supported by The Neville Staple Band........average age of the audience was 53.Queue for toilet was bigger than queue for the bar. :whistle But it was awfy good.

In a smashing wee pub called The Graph... .......drinking Amstel. 🍺

20190509_211143.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Definitely once (and they were good, at least IMO), possibly twice. Think the first time I saw them I didn't know who they were, or maybe it was another band with a couple of the same members. Or it might not have been them at all. emoji1.png The first time, when it might not have been them, was in the Swan last year and the second time, when it was definitely them, was in Leith, a couple of months later. Neither time was intentional, just happened upon them playing in pubs.

You will need to stop unintentionally frequenting pubs bud🍺

Some bands are simply brilliant, live.

Sometimes it's shite.

My heid nearly blew apart when first confronted by The Kinks, loud and raw in Glasgow.

I've mellowed out to CSN+ Y. Also to CSN, to C+N ...and recently to a one man show with N.

I have enjoyed the Stones, Hollies, Joni Mitchell, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Joe Jackson, Elbow and myriad others, such as Edinburgh City Police Pipe Band.

But on Tuesday I saw and heard the best band I've ever encountered.

Mark Knopfler and his band.

Two solid hours of amazing sound.  He has a 10 man band backing him.

They can play 48 or so instruments...  and did so.

It was always inventive and fresh - not a 120 minute one-note drone.

He sang and played a few of his biggies, but sometimes it seemed like a jazz fusion when the individual musicians went off on one...

(Now THAT would usually get on my tits, but these guys were superlative.)

All technically on a higher plane than I've ever encountered...  and Knopfler himself is just a wizard guitarist.

He writes great songs and his voice is maybe even more gravelly than when he started out...  :rolleyes:

We were sitting directly in front... the sound was perfectly balanced....but about 2 kms from the stage, so before the show I had misgivings that it might as well be Stan Laurel up on stage, for all we could see.

There were screens showing lots of different, up-close angles of the band and its participants.

It wasn't Stan Laurel. 

We saw huge images of 'Mark Knopfler' singing, but I had a sneaking suspicion that it was actually the late Gerald Kaufman.

I see he was at the SSE Hydro on Sunday 26 May.  Emdy else go see them?

Edited by antrin
typos

• 2 weeks later...

So

I've always harboured a sneaky wee admiration for Leo Sayer, his first two albums were totally different from his mid-70s output and by the time i was able to go to gigs he had hit the big time and gone very mainstream, so the impetus was lost.  But cycling past the Pavillion recently I saw a poster for his "just a boy" tour and decided to bag a couple of tickets out of hope and curiousity, but I needn't have worried.  Best £65 i've spent all year!

Energy, humour, a cracking band and one of the great voices from a truly gifted songwriter (who admittedly lost his way a bit).  He leaned on those first two albums but still played the bigger hits and the whole thing was a blast.  Nothing but ear-to-ear smiles at the end from an old but happy crowd.

If you get the chance to see him, just go.

Edited by beyond our ken

53 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

So

I've always harboured a sneaky wee admiration for Leo Sayer, his first two albums were totally different from his mid-70s output and by the time i was able to go to gigs he had hit the big time and gone very mainstream, so the impetus was lost.  But cycling past the Pavillion recently I saw a poster for his "just a boy" tour and decided to bag a couple of tickets out of hope and curiousity, but I needn't have worried.  Best £65 i've spent all year!

Energy, humour, a cracking band and one of the great voices from a truly gifted songwriter (who admittedly lost his way a bit).  He leaned on those first two albums but still played the bigger hits and the whole thing was a blast.  Nothing but ear-to-ear smiles at the end from an old but happy crowd.

If you get the chance to see him, just go.

Some cracking songs on Just a Boy album.

I'm away to add it to my memory stick for the car. 

PS Meant to say, seen him twice back in the Apollo, voice was amazing, patter was pish, stick to singing. 

Edited by faraway saint