Music Gigs

BuddieinEK

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Each to their own.

Near thirty quid for a B list eighties celeb? It's got to be worth it.... NOT

Originally Annie Lennox's backing singer (some thought her the better singer), Number 1 Album and Singles with Fairground Attraction and decided she wanted to go down the Folk Route (where she's been successful enough). I've seen her live a few times and she puts on a decent show....not everyone's cup of tea but I don't think £30.00 is too steep for what you get.

Edited by WeeBud

5 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Utter nonsense

What is. That it's each to their own? Because Eddi Reader is certainly a B list, eighties singer. I can think of Perfect, Find my love and Patience of angels as anywhere near decent hits of any note for her and two of them were with Fairground Attraction.

ETA. I think I'm being generous in saying were decent hits.

Edited by stlucifer

Just now, stlucifer said:

What is. That it's each to their own? Because Eddi Reader is certainly a B list, eighties singer. I can think of Perfect, Find my love and Patience of angels as anywhere near decent hits of any note for her and two of them were with Fairground Attraction

I thought "Utter Nonsense" was a bit strong 😎, Fairground Attraction was her band (not sure you can use that to downplay her success, a couple of them still accompany her on occasion) and a couple of Ivor Novello awards....she's a more than decent crooner

Anyhow, as I mentioned, the Eddi Reader gig is as much to see Jill Jackson.

Already booked to see her solo gig in Perth late October, thought we'd treat ourselves to a wee night in Dundee, although closer to Broughty Ferry, swithering if we'll stay in the Ferry ir along the road in Dundee. 

Almost £30, cheap at the price for a couple of decent singers, although the evening will cost be quite a bit more. :lol:

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Already booked to see her solo gig in Perth late October, thought we'd treat ourselves to a wee night in Dundee, although closer to Broughty Ferry, swithering if we'll stay in the Ferry ir along the road in Dundee. 

Almost £30, cheap at the price for a couple of decent singers, although the evening will cost be quite a bit more. :lol:

Jill alone is worth the ticket price. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Big Country in Rocknrolla's on Friday evening.

Nice compact venue and the band were excellent.

Although there was a selection of draught beer/ciders, I went for the very reasonably priced (£3.50) pint cans of Red Stripe. Other rip off venues take note.<_<

Going to see Sham 69 in there in November.:headbang

On 8/11/2022 at 4:38 PM, WeeBud said:

Originally Annie Lennox's backing singer (some thought her the better singer), Number 1 Album and Singles with Fairground Attraction and decided she wanted to go down the Folk Route (where she's been successful enough). I've seen her live a few times and she puts on a decent show....not everyone's cup of tea but I don't think £30.00 is too steep for what you get.

You are right, she continues to be relevant and has evolved as a performer, finding different ways to explore her talent.  Rating somebody on their 80s hits is, well, a bit 80s.  There are so many other and better ways to appraise a performer.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:55 PM, beyond our ken said:

The Stranglers at the O2 last night, truly memorable gig and a fantastic performance.  Sad to think this is the last full tour and chances to see them again will be few and far between now.  Ruts DC were also on top form (but no Love in Vein ☹️

Anyone going tonight will be in for a treat.

A friend was walking along Blackpool prom last week and was stopped in his tracks by the sound coming from the Stranglers gig there last week.  Said he could.t believe how much more powerful the tunes were compared to the recordings he had heard.  He was all about going to see them on the next tour and was crestfallen to hear that this is their swan song.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 5:53 PM, faraway saint said:

Quite a tour for a B list 80's singer. :lol:

Next Friday for me in Dundee...................................looking forward to it, a wee night in Broughty Ferry added to make a night of it. 

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "EDDI READER AUTUMN TOUR 2022 SCOTLAND Sept 1st Greenock ÛOLDOUT Sept 2nd Oban Sept 3rd Kilmarnock ÛOT Sept 9th Dundee IMITED Sept 10th Huntly Sept 11th Inverness LIMITED Sept 22nd Galashiels Nov 25th Tarbert Nov 26th Crieff Dec 5th Aviemore ENGLAND & WALES Sept 23rd Sept 24th Sept 27th Sept 29th Sept 30th Oct 1st Oct 6th Oct 7th Oct 8th Oct 9th Oct 12th Oct 3th Oct 14th Oct 15th Castleton Tyne and Wear ÛDOUT London Oxford LIMITED Newbury LDOUT St Davids, Wales Runcorn Beverley Wigan OLDOUT Holmfirth Milton Keynes OU Bungay Ashford Hailsham LIMITED"

36 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Heading out soon, Broughty Ferry for tea and a few drinks then the concert before going back to the Ferry for a few drinks and an overnight stay.

Need this to cheer me up...................

image.thumb.png.739630da3742ec530db6398af9fd0d64.png

Has it not been cancelled? 

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Heading out soon, Broughty Ferry for tea and a few drinks then the concert before going back to the Ferry for a few drinks and an overnight stay.

Need this to cheer me up...................

image.thumb.png.739630da3742ec530db6398af9fd0d64.png

Well, excellent gig.

First up was Jill Jackson. A real character with patter to match. 

Class act and sailed through a short warm up session.

Had a chat with her, reminded her we were, briefly, related. 

After explaining she relaxed and we'll see her in Perth late October for her solo gig.

The the main attraction 😉, Eddi Reader. 

What a voice and a personality that's steeped in her Scottish upbringing. 

A wide range of songs, backed up by 4 quality musicians. 

Not every song was my cup of tea but her voice carried her and she was faultless. 

Rattled out "Perfect" at the end to round off a great evening.

What's not to like for under £30 a ticket. 

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Well, excellent gig.

First up was Jill Jackson. A real character with patter to match. 

Class act and sailed through a short warm up session.

Had a chat with her, reminded her we were, briefly, related. 

After explaining she relaxed and we'll see her in Perth late October for her solo gig.

The the main attraction 😉, Eddi Reader. 

What a voice and a personality that's steeped in her Scottish upbringing. 

A wide range of songs, backed up by 4 quality musicians. 

Not every song was my cup of tea but her voice carried her and she was faultless. 

Rattled out "Perfect" at the end to round off a great evening.

What's not to like for under £30 a ticket. 

Excellent , glad you enjoyed it .  Much prefer these smaller gigs to big stadium affairs 👍 

Such a pity the Paisley Spree gigs have been pulled , have been a big supporter of the Spree since it’s inception but with a very busy Sept , it wasn’t to be this year ……. (But I’d probably have grabbed a last minute Altered images ticket . 🤫)