Music Gigs

BuddieinEK

I’m off to London Town next weekend ( events permitting ) with my better half, bought her tickets to ABBA voyage for her birthday which I must admit I’m looking forward to as much as she is !!  And off to see The Lion King the night before.

Hopefully they get a date at the London Crem for the funeral which doesn’t impact too much ! 🤞either Thursday 15 or Tuesday 20th would be ok ,  if it’s the weekend , I hope it’s back to the British Legion London branch afterwards for the purvey , save me a Bob or two on meals  😉  

9 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I’m off to London Town next weekend ( events permitting ) with my better half, bought her tickets to ABBA voyage for her birthday which I must admit I’m looking forward to as much as she is !!  And off to see The Lion King the night before.

I have big envy….  Will get round to going to that.

back in the day we spent a whole Saturday from Morning to after midnight at the National Fillum Theatre watching EVERY bit of film and tv of ABBA (and its solo individuals’) singing careers!

Way OTT! But great communal fun with similarly “sad” people.

Of course… we’d been cool from the 60s and so had then loathed Abba, their pop songs and their glitzy, crass costumes (though I may well have secretly lusted after Anni-Fryd…).

Then we got ABBA albums for The Boss’s mother - who liked the band a lot.  We listened to the albums… and, in due course… inherited them.  And we’re converted.  Hence, the NFT night.   :rolleyes:

And twice now, we’ve been heading home in busy, late fri/sat night tubes, which got invaded at Stratford by singing (pished?) gangs of happy, dancing queens…. Who obviously have had a brilliant time!  

enjoy!!!  :)

Edited by antrin

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Off to see Jack Dee tonight at the local theatre with the son in law. 

Jack Dee

Mr Dee was excellent.

Sharp, intelligent and didn't resort to cheap laughs (politics or shock/swearing much) to keep the sell out audience laughing for almost 2 hours.

Would definitely go see him again.   :happyclapper

On 9/10/2022 at 9:26 AM, antrin said:

I have big envy….  Will get round to going to that.

back in the day we spent a whole Saturday from Morning to after midnight at the National Fillum Theatre watching EVERY bit of film and tv of ABBA (and its solo individuals’) singing careers!

Way OTT! But great communal fun with similarly “sad” people.

Of course… we’d been cool from the 60s and so had then loathed Abba, their pop songs and their glitzy, crass costumes (though I may well have secretly lusted after Anni-Fryd…).

Then we got ABBA albums for The Boss’s mother - who liked the band a lot.  We listened to the albums… and, in due course… inherited them.  And we’re converted.  Hence, the NFT night.   :rolleyes:

And twice now, we’ve been heading home in busy, late fri/sat night tubes, which got invaded at Stratford by singing (pished?) gangs of happy, dancing queens…. Who obviously have had a brilliant time!  

enjoy!!!  :)

It was brilliant 🤩 You really do believe your watching actual people on stage rather than holograms.  Difficult to really get across how lifelike it is , if you get the chance - go see it 😎👍 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, antrin said:

Proclaimers tonight in Southend on Sea.

Got the tickets months ago in Summer when it seemed a good idea.

thunderstorms all last night, continuing downpours, dreich…. And the idea has lost its gloss….  :(

Pretty good evening, after all.

Great opening/support act: John Bramwell.  I'd never heard of him, but his guitar playing was wondrous to hear and his songs eloquent, diverse and all interesting.  Great voice, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bramwell

30 odd minutes, then Proclaimers played till gone 10.00. All the oldies and a few I never knew. Enthusiastic crowd of about 1500.

Got a bit samey for me… two strong LOUD voices in harmony… supported by 4 skilled musicians…

23 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Next Saturday night in Perth, looking forward to it.

A wee day/night planned, book into hotel late afternoon, meet up with son/daughter in law for dinner, head off to the concert then hit the city for drinks and laughs.

image.thumb.png.a96e0085d532ca8ba6c45c02be8860c4.png

I saw her at the Tiree Music Festival in the summer.....she was brilliant.

On 10/24/2022 at 9:39 AM, WeeBud said:

She's a laugh right enough 😅

Great wee gig in Perth last night, small (sold out with about 150 I reckoned) and intimate which suites me.

Jill was spot on vocally, great sound considering it was only her and a guitar (a couple of banjo numbers) and when you add in her ability to story tell and ad lib with very amusing anecdotes you've got a great wee night.

Just over 90 minutes (two 45 minute sessions) was great value.

Definitely will go see her again. :thumbs2

46 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Great wee gig in Perth last night, small (sold out with about 150 I reckoned) and intimate which suites me.

Jill was spot on vocally, great sound considering it was only her and a guitar (a couple of banjo numbers) and when you add in her ability to story tell and ad lib with very amusing anecdotes you've got a great wee night.

Just over 90 minutes (two 45 minute sessions) was great value.

Definitely will go see her again. :thumbs2

I’d definitely see her again too…glad you enjoyed your night 👍

On 11/3/2022 at 7:37 PM, faraway saint said:

Tomorrow night should have lots of laughs.

Attending the "meet & greet" before the event, I better get my best patter rehearsed. :wink:

image.thumb.png.5d77decb7a5f58a4298ea2caa5b5f425.png

Decent evening, would be better if you're a Stiil Game superfan. 

The meet and greet was a con, you get onto the stage for a quick 30 seconds, time to say "Hello, and a professional picture taken" and off again. 

Quite what happened to the pictures is anybodies guess, although a nice lady did take a few with my phone. 

7/10 for me. 

Edited by faraway saint

The Georgian Hotel in Coatbridge last night...

Headliner was foot stomping, award winning, Blues Hall of Fame inductee Catfish Keith! 

Master of the Delta blues, bottleneck slide and fingerpicking, I felt as if I had been picked up in the TARDIS and dropped off at the start of the 1900's! Vintage blues at its best. 

Confession time... It's not a genre I genuinely listen to or fully appreciate. At opposite ends of the blues scale, John Lee Hooker and Robert Cray being the exceptions. Catfish Keith has been added to that number.

My face was sore from smiling by half way through the gig! Is that allowed at a blues gig?

Three incredible guitars with three very different sounds thanks to a master of his craft! 

This review sums Catfish Keith up beautifully...

“For Catfish Keith, a resonator guitar is an organic extension of his body, an instrument he plays intuitively and with absolute authority. Manhandling Delta vamps, artfully finger picking rag-influenced Piedmont patterns and languidly chording ballads, Catfish is one of the premier pre-war style guitarists recording today.” – Living Blues

Starting proceedings was Jack Henderson. Think Cohen, Springsteen and Dylan without the cheeriness! 😂😜

Seriously good guitarist and songwriter too.

Between them over 3 hours of class music.

IMG_20221104_205350.jpg

IMG_20221104_221633.jpg

IMG_20221104_225428.jpg

https://www.whatsonrenfrewshire.co.uk/event/110873-davey-pattison-blues-band/

Tickets bought for the Davey Pattison Blues Band on 25/11 at the Bungalow.  DP is an amazing vocalist with an incredible track record and I hope he will be doing a few of the songs he did with Gamma alongside his blues set

Good value at a tenner a ticket compared to some ofthe other prices charged.

On 11/11/2022 at 11:24 AM, beyond our ken said:

https://www.whatsonrenfrewshire.co.uk/event/110873-davey-pattison-blues-band/

Tickets bought for the Davey Pattison Blues Band on 25/11 at the Bungalow.  DP is an amazing vocalist with an incredible track record and I hope he will be doing a few of the songs he did with Gamma alongside his blues set

Good value at a tenner a ticket compared to some ofthe other prices charged.

Apparently all sold out or very nearly- a great welcome home for DP