Falkirk V St Mirren Championship. 31/10/15

shull

In the centre circle.

"Obvious goalscoring chance"?

The FIFA rule on this is thus...

post-306-0-99679300-1446427582_thumb.png

Was the striker likely to have kept control of the ball? Yes. Was he moving in the direction of the goal? Yes. Were there any other defenders that could have prevented the striker moving through on goal? No. Could he have had a shot on goal? Absolutely, indeed many players have scored from the half way line.

Having seen the incident on Sportscene I personally think the referee had no other choice. A yellow card when there was no sign of a covering defender would have left him open to far more criticism. Indeed if Reid was to state his intention in committing the foul I'm sure it would have been to deny the Falkirk player from having a goalscoring opportunity. If St Mirren try to appeal on this one they'll be wasting their money. The Baird sending off looked much more harsh to me. It certainly didn't look like a deliberate handball from the camera angle shown.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

To be fair, distance does indeed have an impact. More distance to run, more chance of an intervention.

Very very rarely do you see a straight red given for a foul 50 yards from goal.

I remember Tommy Turner getting sent off at Dunfermline for a very similar foul in 1999. Funnily enough St Mirren fans didn't bleat too much about it back then, perhaps because the team actually could play a bit and still managed to get a positive result on the day.

sorry maybe picked it up from sportscene or motd but it is definitely referred to in media,also used by supporters at games ,in fact on bus home we had a discussion about how it was shit but prob correct

Why do football fans never read the laws of the game? It's not a tough read. It even has wee pictures. Can I recommend it to you?

Given that Reid's foul was in the centre circle and Falkirk's half of the pitch and their forward still had to run half the length of the pitch with the ball at his feet I do think it is up for debate whether this was an obvious goal scoring opportunity. There would be a decent chance of a defender without a ball at his feet making up the lost ground before their player got near our box.

The FIFA rule on this is thus...

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Was the striker likely to have kept control of the ball? Yes. Was he moving in the direction of the goal? Yes. Were there any other defenders that could have prevented the striker moving through on goal? No. Could he have had a shot on goal? Absolutely, indeed many players have scored from the half way line.

Having seen the incident on Sportscene I personally think the referee had no other choice. A yellow card when there was no sign of a covering defender would have left him open to far more criticism. Indeed if Reid was to state his intention in committing the foul I'm sure it would have been to deny the Falkirk player from having a goalscoring opportunity. If St Mirren try to appeal on this one they'll be wasting their money. The Baird sending off looked much more harsh to me. It certainly didn't look like a deliberate handball from the camera angle shown.

Thanks for sharing that Stuart.

So distance IS a factor!

Also. "Was he moving in the direct of goal? ... ... I thought no... my recollection was that both were stationery in the centre circle.

Thanks for sharing that Stuart.

So distance IS a factor!

Also. "Was he moving in the direct of goal? ... ... I thought no... my recollection was that both were stationery in the centre circle.

Yep distance is a factor as is the position of other defenders. The TV pictures looked conclusive though. The Falkirk player was in behind Reid there was no defender in a position to cover. I'd say the referee got it right.

As I said if you were to ask Reid why he committed the foul, and it was very deliberate, he'd say it was to stop the Falkirk lad from going through on goal.

Given that info from FIFA surely bairds red card is evenote bizarre. It was not an obvious goal scoring opportunity

If you look up the Laws of the Game there is a separate rule for handball in this instance. The wording is similar but it states the handball must be deliberate. The TV pictures didn't suggest it was deliberate. Perhaps from another angle the ref saw a different hand movement that made him feel differently, however I would say in Baird instance the ref was wrong. One thing that perhaps told a different story was Webster reaction. I'd have expected more of a complaint if he thought it had been an injustice

Point is Reid shouldn't have made the challenge given the context of the game and our season. It would have been better to lose 4-0 than to have another defender unavailable for a big game next week.

He did make the tackle, he forced the referee to make a decision, and I see why he sent him off.

Therefore it's either a young midfielder at right back next week, or we completely change the shape of the team. Against the form team in the league. When we need a result. Great!

You tell me? After all the St Mirren board have regularly recruited managers who couldn't cut it in Scotland's second tier. rolleyes.gif

Kenny is a winner with a proven record of success in his domestic game with really unfashionable teams. Even at Dunfermline he took them into Europe and they were runners up in two domestic competitions.

Like I said though, some of us just know our football - others like you know f**k all.

This seems an appropriate quote -

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”

Charles Bukowski

sorry maybe picked it up from sportscene or motd but it is definitely referred to in media,also used by supporters at games ,in fact on bus home we had a discussion about how it was shit but prob correct

Sadly probably true. We have pundits and journos who simply don't know the rules of their own game and spout crap like this. In the main ex-Celtic and ex-ex-Rangers players who they hope will be popular with their audience.