James Patterson

Isle Of Bute Saint

Traveling through the airport every other month going to work means finding a couple of books to read. There always seems new novels by James Patterson at least one or two sometimes three. They are ok if a bit samey though at least you know what you are getting. What amazes me is his work rate how is it possible to write so many books in a short space of time. Makes me think he has writers going under his name. Anyone noticed his books.

At long last a book shop has opened up in Rothesay good thing is they have couches and a coffee machine so you can have a decent gander at potential books you want to buy. Will support this shop from now on.

While on the subject of books Christopher when is your next outing.

Traveling through the airport every other month going to work means finding a couple of books to read. There always seems new novels by James Patterson at least one or two sometimes three. They are ok if a bit samey though at least you know what you are getting. What amazes me is his work rate how is it possible to write so many books in a short space of time. Makes me think he has writers going under his name. Anyone noticed his books.

At long last a book shop has opened up in Rothesay good thing is they have couches and a coffee machine so you can have a decent gander at potential books you want to buy. Will support this shop from now on.

While on the subject of books Christopher when is your next outing.

I had a colleague say to me about 15 years ago "if you like Rebus then try patterson-far more cerebral!"

Well that was a load of pish, I maybe read 5 of his books and they are all the same, even the ones where he collaborates. makes me think he does little more than lend his name to other people's work as part of a franchise.

Most of his books seem to depend on a random event as a breakthrough in the case "we just heard-a backpacker in Nepal was found with the same kind of underwear on as the guy we are looking for". Some have barely a nod or a wink towards detection

I had a colleague say to me about 15 years ago "if you like Rebus then try patterson-far more cerebral!"

Well that was a load of pish, I maybe read 5 of his books and they are all the same, even the ones where he collaborates. makes me think he does little more than lend his name to other people's work as part of a franchise.

Most of his books seem to depend on a random event as a breakthrough in the case "we just heard-a backpacker in Nepal was found with the same kind of underwear on as the guy we are looking for". Some have barely a nod or a wink towards detection

I agree that Patterson's a franchise. It's all cloned shite.

Maybe I was unlucky in reading a book that was shite. Then persevered, finding another that was the same shite, but shared credits with another shite hack?

Patterson is NOT IN THE SAME BALL PARK as Ian Rankin.

I agree that Patterson's a franchise. It's all cloned shite.

Maybe I was unlucky in reading a book that was shite. Then persevered, finding another that was the same shite, but shared credits with another shite hack?

Patterson is NOT IN THE SAME BALL PARK as Ian Rankin.

Have to agree Rankin is on a whole different level.

I'm not a big fan of Patterson however after a long hard slog at work going to bed with something simple to read helps bring on a good snooze. One thing that is good about Patterson's books large letters and short chapters this makes it easy for weary eyes for us older twats. Someone might come up with kindle. For me that's like reading a long memo which I read enough of during the day , or maybe a Stuart Dickson post is a good description.

Need to spend a bit of time in a book shop to find the right books which is no easy task.

Anybody read a book that makes you laugh lately , not an autobiography even though Kevin Bridges book was a scream.

Have to admit I tend to read more non fiction than fiction but do like Patterson and Grisham if in the mood for a bit of easy reading.

For anybody in to history I just finished reading an excellent book called The Black Russian.

A true story about a son of two freed slaves in the U.S.A who ended up living in pre communist Russia becoming the equivalent of a millionaire today before having to flee.

Well worth a read.

Edited by PCCABE

Have to agree Rankin is on a whole different level.

I'm not a big fan of Patterson however after a long hard slog at work going to bed with something simple to read helps bring on a good snooze. One thing that is good about Patterson's books large letters and short chapters this makes it easy for weary eyes for us older twats. Someone might come up with kindle. For me that's like reading a long memo which I read enough of during the day , or maybe a Stuart Dickson post is a good description.

Need to spend a bit of time in a book shop to find the right books which is no easy task.

Anybody read a book that makes you laugh lately , not an autobiography even though Kevin Bridges book was a scream.

Some of Stuart McBride's Logan McRae series are hilarious. A bit silly and gory in places but rather entertaining. Crime books set in Aberdeen.

I agree with stu - those McBride novels are good... and quite scary/gory as he says...

However I just recalled a thriller that I read (last summer, I think) on holiday.

It's a real ripping yarn, thrills, twists, turns, facts and credible storytelling (unlike Patterson's factory) written by a guy who also wrote a shedload of big movies such as Mad Max.

And it's brought to you in wee chapters, often ending with the tease... "and that was a BIG mistake" or "I shouldn't have done that"... so you're almost obliged to read on.

It's a big book, but it gripped me to the end and I was well satisfied by its resolution, despite there being space left perhaps for another similar.... :)

It's called: I Am Pilgrim.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/aug/31/thrillers-review-roundup

I agree with stu - those McBride novels are good... and quite scary/gory as he says...

However I just recalled a thriller that I read (last summer, I think) on holiday.

It's a real ripping yarn, thrills, twists, turns, facts and credible storytelling (unlike Patterson's factory) written by a guy who also wrote a shedload of big movies such as Mad Max.

And it's brought to you in wee chapters, often ending with the tease... "and that was a BIG mistake" or "I shouldn't have done that"... so you're almost obliged to read on.

It's a big book, but it gripped me to the end and I was well satisfied by its resolution, despite there being space left perhaps for another similar.... :)

Read that as well and really enjoyed it, it looks a bit of a daunting start due to the size but I flew through it and recommended to a few others.

It can be picked up for about 4quid now

His new book comes out about April next year I think

Edited by foxbar_bud

It's a big book, but it gripped me to the end and I was well satisfied by its resolution, despite there being space left perhaps for another similar.... smile.png

For me , if it is fiction , I think you'd need to go a long way to beat Scottish writer , Philip Kerr. .

Read a really good dystopian sci-fi novel recently called Goodhouse the debut by an American author Peyton Marshall. I got it from the library, it's been taken out three times in a year (twice by me). Don't know if it's easy to get a hold of but if you come across it give it a chance.

PS - For a bit of Scottish murder&mayhem I'd recommend James Oswald's occult tinged Inspector McLean mysteries. First in the series is called Natural Causes followed by Book of Souls.

Edited by Bud the Baker