Craig Reid

Ronnie

The centre half wasn't absent, Baird was there.

Reids man was the guy who headed in at the back post in about 6 yards of space.

TC, not for a second suggesting that Reid wasn't at any fault for the first goal but what do you mean by "Baird was there"? Baird was wrong side of his man and neither closing down the cross or in a position to compete for the header with the guy he should have been goal side of.

This.

Which is, somewhat bizarrely, also what TC seems to be saying.

Talk of which opponent was which defender's man is all good and well, but the team lacked any shape on Saturday, so I think problems lay much deeper than a certain defender losing 'his man'. We were an absolute shambles, with numerous players failing in even carrying out their basic functions. I'll say it again, Reid was no worse than the majority of his team mates on the day.

The majority of his team mates didn't get sent off or give away free headers on their side.

The sending off summed his day up. He has to win a header against a smaller player. He jumps, completely misses it, gets rolled and turned then makes a daft foul.

No one had a good game on Saturday, Goodwin apart. Reid was right up there with the worst performers.

TC, not for a second suggesting that Reid wasn't at any fault for the first goal but what do you mean by "Baird was there"? Baird was wrong side of his man and neither closing down the cross or in a position to compete for the header with the guy he should have been goal side of.

post-13994-14464662334048_thumb.jpg

Two on two as the ball comes in. Not an ideal scenario defensively certainly, but one we should be able to deal with.

It's going to have to be a very good ball for the number 8 that Baird's in front of for him to score. If he does, Baird's at fault.

The danger is the number 10 at the back post. That's where Reid should have been.

Reid runs towards 8, the cross goes over his head and 10 heads in with no one near him.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBlack & White Army1446466232.964397.jpg

Two on two as the ball comes in. Not an ideal scenario defensively certainly, but one we should be able to deal with.

It's going to have to be a very good ball for the number 8 that Baird's in front of for him to score. If he does, Baird's at fault.

The danger is the number 10 at the back post. That's where Reid should have been.

Reid runs towards 8, the cross goes over his head and 10 heads in with no one near him.

The full back always doubles up in that scenario, you see it absolutely everywhere. Reid did go a bit more all in than most would though, he just completely ignored the second man.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBlack & White Army1446466232.964397.jpg

From Baird's positioning before the "screenshot" and in realtime Reid is effectively left with two players to deal with as Baird is being drawn away from the man he should be marking, he has to gamble between a ball across the deck towards the number 8 or a cross to the back post. He may well have made the wrong choice but there were other factors that left him having to make the choice.

I didn't think Reid had a great debut by any stretch of the imagination but I can't really think of anyone who did play well on Saturday to be honest.

The red card was a poor decision but made in the heat of the moment, he would have been similarly berated on here if he had let the boy go and he had ran on to score a fourth so you can't really win.

The Baird red card was a disgrace but I really don't think the big man is ready yet to play week in, week out. I think he's still very raw. Kelly for me is a better option at centre half to play alongside Webster which will really help him. I also don't think Kelly is great at left back anyway where I'd much rather see Jordan Stewart getting a run of games.

Right back is going to be a problem of course but it's an opportunity for someone else to come in and stake a claim for a jersey. Cuddihy was pretty poor away at Livingston but we have to give him a chance and maybe after a run of games he can establish himself, just the same way that Naismith did before him.

Div , you say Baird is raw & not ready to play every week yet want to see cuddihy given a run of games to establish himself ?? He'll get torn to shreds (by opposition wingers & the home support !!) & his confidence will be shattered.

I don't know if he will or he won't, I've only really ever seen him play once.

Point is we don't really have any choice. Naismith, Watson and Reid will all be unavailable for at least this weekend.

I don't watch the u-20s so hand on heart I couldn't say what any of the other options are.

Baird has definitely improved playing alongside Webster, I just find him a wee bit gung-ho in the tackle for my liking.

Really?

Watch it again. The first one a cross comes in - which could have been defended better I agree. Baird has a man and Reid has a man.

Reid runs towards Bairds man for some reason, ending up around the left side post (he's meant to be playing right back) leaving his man to get a free header at the back post. Yet Kelly is more at fault?

The second one it's another cross which could be defended better... Not sure how you're blaming Webster? Baird misses the first header and Reid then let's his man get in front of him again for another free header. Webster wasn't involved at all, although I do think he had a poor game.

If a fit Naismith is playing, I don't think we concede either of those goals.

AT the second goal Webster was taken off the park for a head knock. Part of the reason for the mix up in the marking was due to him being missing and confusion about who was picking up who.

ETA to blame Reid as a scapegoat is out of order. The lad was making his debut and wasn't any worse than many others out on the park.

Edited by Kendo

I don't know if he will or he won't, I've only really ever seen him play once.

Point is we don't really have any choice. Naismith, Watson and Reid will all be unavailable for at least this weekend.

I don't watch the u-20s so hand on heart I couldn't say what any of the other options are.

Baird has definitely improved playing alongside Webster, I just find him a wee bit gung-ho in the tackle for my liking.

I quite like his gung ho tackling style. It is his positional sense that concerns me more. Jack is a raw big lad, but I would persevere with him as he is a work in progress, and won't progress without game time.

• 3 weeks later...