Bye Bye Spalding?

Is this not a case of Ian Murray looking after number 1. It appears to me that the rumours at NSP that Murray is a very arrogant man are true, he must have known he was due to dismissed and is looking after himself. When a new man is appointed he(Murray) must take a back seat and let the new man have control, that way he (Murray) will get the praise for the turn around in St.Mirrens fortunes, or if it does not work out he can lay the blame at the new assistants door. Whatever way you look at it, its a win win situation for Murray. Its Murray along with Spalding that should go.

Edited by stripey

In the name of God!! It isn't the fault of an assistant manager if the team, tactics, selections etc are pure rank rotten. First and foremost its the bloody manager. Seems Spalding is a bit of a scapegoat here. Oh well. Here's to yet another shitty appointment whoever it may be.

Yup. The amount of criticism Spalding is getting is incredible. Not saying he's blameless but he's not the one picking the team etc.

Also not convinced binning an assistant the manager has chosen and replacing him with someone he doesn't necessarily want is the best way forward - unless we're hoping he'll resign like Jimmy Bone did when Kenny McDowall was booted 20 years ago.

This was the obvious outcome from our current mess. The Board done this successfully with Danny Lennon so hopefully will be the right option again.

Jack Ross?

How much of the improvement was down to Craig and how much of it was down to having far better players at our disposal from the summer of 2011 - Thompson, Teale, Tesselaar etc.

What an absolute joke.

Murray is in charge and makes the decisions. Simply just trying to pass the blame and buy himself some more time.

I was in favour of Murray but I've clearly got it absolutely wrong. If Spalding gets punted because of Murray's shortcomings it's an absolute disgrace.

He'll be away by the end of the year anyway.

For whatever reason, Murray and Spalding hasn't worked. We will probably never know why, but it has been blatantly obvious that something has to change. The guy who will cost less to pay off was always going to be the first out the door. I doubt that we will witness a turnaround as soon as a new man comes in (assuming this story is accurate), but something has to change.

I would think that someone (on the BoD?) has advised Murray that it may be an idea to get an experienced man in. It's very reminiscent of Iain Jenkins leaving after Danny's first season, with TC coming in. It may be termed in the media as 'Murray set to axe No.2 Spalding', but I'd be surprised if it was Murray's idea.

It may be harsh on Spalding, but football is a hard game, and I wonder how much respect there can be in the dressing room for a guy that's never played the game professionally?

Whatever is happening, something had to change.

What an absolute joke.

Murray is in charge and makes the decisions. Simply just trying to pass the blame and buy himself some more time.

I was in favour of Murray but I've clearly got it absolutely wrong. If Spalding gets punted because of Murray's shortcomings it's an absolute disgrace.

He'll be away by the end of the year anyway.

Why is it a joke?

He was part of a team that wasn't working out. One option is to bag the entire team at significant cost, while the other is to try a different fit in the hope that something will click.

I'm not suggesting changing the number two will be a panacea. Indeed, I very much have my doubts, but this is one option to consider, and better that than inaction.

I've consistently said I would not want Thommo as gaffer right now and also that I don't think he should be in the starting XI most weeks.

Thommo at this stage as the assistant to Murray? That's something I wouldn't mind seeing.

Not a player assistant, hang up the boots and focus purely on this.

I'd be all for it.

I said he needed an experienced assistant before he appointed Spalding. It seemed pretty obvious to everyone, apart from Murray.

Hope this is true as we need something to change. Going to be done at the clubs expense though, which isn't ideal. It's the cheaper option to sacking them both.

The obvious candidate is Ross who is unemployed. However his history with the club and bonus gate might be a stumbling block, although I'd hope not. Beuzellin is at Hamilton, I can't imagine us forking out compo for an assistant and I can't imagine him wanting to make a step down.

Jimmy Nicol would be another decent shout in my opinion.

Edited by TopCat

I've consistently said I would not want Thommo as gaffer right now and also that I don't think he should be in the starting XI most weeks.

Thommo at this stage as the assistant to Murray? That's something I wouldn't mind seeing.

Not a player assistant, hang up the boots and focus purely on this.

I'd be all for it.

But for Thompson's inexperience, I could agree with that. We need a bit of passion, and someone to provide a spark. Thompson could be the man, but would what he lacks in experience be countered by his enthusiasm?

ETA - I'd also agree that he would ideally hang up his boots. I'm still not convinced that he could take a step back from being one of the lads in the squad, though.

Nah, on balance, keep him as a playing super-sub and bring in an older head who has been about for a while in a coaching context.

Edited by Drew

How about Hitler?

Another thread suggests he's still alive.

Mature/auld heid, been around Europe and - apparently - acquainted with South America so maybe could use his contacts, there too?

Strong inter-personal skills (perhaps too strong?), more attack-minded than defence I guess... my main concern is that moustache like Tony Fitzpatrick's... and we all know his managerial limitations. :unsure:

Whoever it is , they will be better than Spalding .

The majority thought that Murray was the answer as manager(myself included), and that he was better than Teale. So far that's not been the case.

NB In no way am I advocating the return of Teale.