Confirmed - Alex Miller In

Kemp

Hmmm I'm also still tainted by unhappy memories of his first spell, He strikes me as a guy who's been touting himself for a job for a while. Aye, he worked as a coach with world class players at Liverpool, but he won't be doing that here. If it's anything like his first spell, stand by for a series of 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, and if we're lucky, the odd 2-1 epic.

A great appointment, a continent of common sense and has vast experience, will give the players the kick up the backside that they need.

Hopefully he still has contacts from his time in Siberia, so he can send Ian Murray off there to stay,

Edited by Flareybob

As long as his signings are more Ian Ferguson than Peter Mackie I'm ok with this in the short term.

Just a wee note for our younger (than me) fans. Expect a Gus type team, not a Tom Hendrie one.

If by a 'Gus' team you mean a team who goes from the bottom half of the second tier - where we currently are - to the title and established in the top flight within 3 years then this is superb news.

Alex Miller was in charge of Saints when we beat Celtic 4-2, Dundee Utd 4-0 and Rangers 3-0 in a matter of weeks. Oh aye those were really dour games.

http://www.stmirren.info/id332.html

He was a young man in those days and will be first to admit he made mistakes handling certain players. But then what manager would not struggle to control Aber, Moonman, Cowboy, Macca and Zico.

After the last two seasons I'm more than willing to give him a chance as it can surely only get better with him in control.

Aye aye, I know that. That was when he first arrived. Once he got his feet under the table, it was generally pretty dour stuff.

So the board have brought in an old sevco fud, to "Help" the ex sevco dud....

Never in a million years is this a step in the right direction, Millar will have absolutely nothing in common with our younger players, and will ruin them. Murray wont stand up to him, its a recipe for disaster, and one that only this board could cook up!

Hands up anyone who even remotely mentioned Millar as a replacement/helper for the dearly departed Spalders???

Now theres a good reason why no one mentioned him as a possible.... Because he has had it, and made a right mess when he was here TWENTY YEARS ago! Thats our board always looking forward... I half expected them to dig up Jim Clunie! But then again he was never a ***!

And yet, Liverpool employed him as a coach. Easy to vilify someone who, like Murray, was a young manager learning his trade 30 years ago.. A lot has happened since then plus IIRC he brought Iain Ferguson to the club. Whether this works or not is unknown but at least it is what many have cried out for, an experienced man to help Murray.

I think we will probably still be paying Spalding and possibly even Tommy Craig (I hope not though). I can imagine Miller is doing this for free or for a nominal salary.

Wonder where he now lives? Guess it must be in Scotland as would be strange to want to move north from England to assist a struggling St Mirren at his stage in life having been out of football for sometime.

I don't remember much about his time in charge as didn't attend too many games in those days, as just a bairn then, but I am sure he will have learned a great deal in those last 25 years so hopefully its a good appointment and he brings his wealth of experience into the training ground of our beloved club.

Time will tell but surely it can't get any worse. Can it? :-(

Also first game against one of his former clubs. In line with what older posters are saying will it be 0-0 on Saturday? :-)

Hmmm I'm also still tainted by unhappy memories of his first spell, He strikes me as a guy who's been touting himself for a job for a while. Aye, he worked as a coach with world class players at Liverpool, but he won't be doing that here. If it's anything like his first spell, stand by for a series of 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, and if we're lucky, the odd 2-1 epic.

We need to make ourselves hard to beat so if he and Murray can get our players and tactics sorted then that must be the no1 priority.

Yep, I suspect that's the way its going.

It's kind of ironic though. I can remember when Miller left St Mirren to join Hibs. That weekend St Mirren were at home and Wallace Mercer was seen walking by the Love Street end. I remember a crowd of St Mirren fans behind me shouting at Mercer saying that he would be delighted that "that clown" had taken over at Hibs and Mercer giving them a smile and a nod in agreement. Plenty of St Mirren fans were delighted to see the back of Miller in 1986. I can remember the protests outside the main stand as fans tried desperately to convince the board to get rid of him. Indeed when he left to be replaced by Alex Smith I can remember the kind of freedom and joy the players started to play with. Ironic that the same fans are welcoming him back these days and hoping that his negative tactics will help stop the clubs decline.

He should be a good appointment so long as Murray and him can get the dynamic right. Surely Murrays job for the next few months will be to make the tea whilst Miller roots out all the problems.

You are indeed quite correct.

I recall raising a wee dram around that time to toast in Mr Smith. That said a few years have passed and people mature, change and generally improve. For goodness sake back in 1986 I voted Labour!!!!!!

A man with the experience our inept Mr Murray may need so a good appointment it would appear to be.

The poor and shabby treatment of Mr Spalding cannot be excused but a step in the right direction anyway!

Edited by TediousTom

Millers son greig is in charge of one of the sfa schools. So. If he did live down south I'm sure he'll have digs up here

Just think of the age of out players. A guy like Spalding taking training then

Alex miller turns up. To guys like Goodwin and thomo theyl see a massive difference And for the younger generation to have a coach who has won the champions league And worked with guys like steven gerrard. Your going to listen to him and try impress him. It's a massive difference

Edited by billymehmet1

Comment I made yesterday on P&B ...

If we went for Ross (not my choice) then we would be better making him the Boss otherwise the man currently in charge would still be in charge. Bring in an old head as assistant - like Alex Miller who volunteered last year to assist Teale for free - or else just get a new Manager.

Very happy FOR NOW IN THE CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES for Miller to come in.

I did not see the point of bringing in someone else as an Assistant if Murray was effectively still making the decisions. With Miller around I think his experience and influence will mean he is making many of the decisions or at least Murray will be doing what Miller suggests.

Last year Miller was prepared to work for free for a while then buttons on a month-to-month contract as he wanted to put something back into the game so he won't be costing a lot and we should be able to easily get rid of the whole management team if things do not improve. A shrewd move by the BOD and one that makes more sense than appointing Ross or McDowall with a fair chance they would soon get the bullet, at our cost, as well if things do not get better.

Edited by Sonny

Reading between the lines - I believe this to be something of a rocket up the arse of Murray. We gave this young manager the opportunity to have total control over our football club, something that not many clubs would do.

Whether right or wrong, it was a huge risk we took. That risk hasn't yet paid off. I reckon the BOD have now realised their mistake - forced the removal of Murray's "yes man" - remember that Spalding was previously at Stirling Uni and Dumbarton - hardly a man with experience.

I believe this move will restrict the power Murray has at the club, no longer able to dictate training sessions, tactics etc as he pleases. If results don't improve, I'd expect Murray to depart fairly soon.

Miller threw his hat in the ring pre-season T , but was overlooked. It's short termist I agree , but if he can whip the slackers into shape that'll do for starters !

I Think the problem is outside a few like Goodwin, there is nothing to whip into shape. I expect there will be a few more joining Gow on the treatment table till their contracts run down tying up the wage budget.

I can't see him working for free. He will be on a wage no doubt and so he should be what type of club doesn't pay it's staff.

Last year Miller offered to work for free for a month to see how things went for all parties, while assisting Teale, then on a month-to-month basis on the same wages as Tommy Craig. No long-term contract and he could go at any point. Possibly the same deal this time round. Good move by the BOD if it is.

Miller, well he'll not miss targets and hit the wall, put it that way.

Straight talking and has siginificant experience, this imnproves the clubs set up compared with yesterday, so irrespectiove of people's opinions on Miller, this is a professional move , it cannot be any worse than where we are already..................

surely unsure.png