Confirmed - Alex Miller In

Kemp

And yet, Liverpool employed him as a coach. Easy to vilify someone who, like Murray, was a young manager learning his trade 30 years ago.. A lot has happened since then plus IIRC he brought Iain Ferguson to the club. Whether this works or not is unknown but at least it is what many have cried out for, an experienced man to help Murray.

It was six years ago when he left Liverpool! Is Thommo as effective as he was six years ago?

They point stands... You still can't polish a turd!

It wouldnt matter if Murray was flanked by Shankley & Fergie.... He Hasn't got it, otherwise he wouldnt have picked a fellow dud as assistant.

Miller got papped from his last job at a Russian first division club three years ago, and in his last three appointments he only last an average of five months at each before getting papped..... HELLO earth calling St Mirren board!!! This guy has bombed more often than the Taliban in the last six years.

Yep, I suspect that's the way its going.

It's kind of ironic though. I can remember when Miller left St Mirren to join Hibs. That weekend St Mirren were at home and Wallace Mercer was seen walking by the Love Street end. I remember a crowd of St Mirren fans behind me shouting at Mercer saying that he would be delighted that "that clown" had taken over at Hibs and Mercer giving them a smile and a nod in agreement. Plenty of St Mirren fans were delighted to see the back of Miller in 1986. I can remember the protests outside the main stand as fans tried desperately to convince the board to get rid of him. Indeed when he left to be replaced by Alex Smith I can remember the kind of freedom and joy the players started to play with. Ironic that the same fans are welcoming him back these days and hoping that his negative tactics will help stop the clubs decline.

He should be a good appointment so long as Murray and him can get the dynamic right. Surely Murrays job for the next few months will be to make the tea whilst Miller roots out all the problems.

Yep, I suspect that's the way its going.

It's kind of ironic though. I can remember when Miller left St Mirren to join Hibs. That weekend St Mirren were at home and Wallace Mercer was seen walking by the Love Street end. I remember a crowd of St Mirren fans behind me shouting at Mercer saying that he would be delighted that "that clown" had taken over at Hibs and Mercer giving them a smile and a nod in agreement. Plenty of St Mirren fans were delighted to see the back of Miller in 1986. I can remember the protests outside the main stand as fans tried desperately to convince the board to get rid of him. Indeed when he left to be replaced by Alex Smith I can remember the kind of freedom and joy the players started to play with. Ironic that the same fans are welcoming him back these days and hoping that his negative tactics will help stop the clubs decline.

He should be a good appointment so long as Murray and him can get the dynamic right. Surely Murrays job for the next few months will be to make the tea whilst Miller roots out all the problems.

St Mirren offers the exact same wage Hibs were offering to keep him at Saints. Later Alex returned to Love Street for the clubs Christmas party.

As you know Alex was a young manager then we got to three semi finals under his guidance he went to Hibs , Aberdeen then first team coach at Liverpool so has a wealth of experience for his return.

Its still a good appointment if it is on a month-to-month basis which I suspect it is. Gives Murray a final month or two to shape up else he is out as well as Miller and we start all over over without having to pay off more contracts for Assistants.

Given I spoke of bagging Spalding in favour of an experienced, older head, I'm not about to criticise this arrangement. What is somewhat odd is how has been billed, with Miller coming in to 'help Murray out' (or words to that effect).

Ultimately, no-one will give a monkey's chunky about the terms of the arrangement if it works out well, but it does potentially leave Murray in an unusual position - not least in the eyes of the guys he is supposed to be in charge of.

Edited by Drew

Those bemoaning the style of play under Miller in the 80's clearly haven't watched us in a while.....aye he's fair going to ruin the open, expansive, free scoring style Murray has us playing 1eye.gif .

Everyone was wanting an "old heid" to guide Murray and that's exactly what we have got now. It appears to me Miller could have been brought in at next to no cost without bagging Spalding so clearly there was an issue with Spalding. Whether that issue was with the players or management we will never know but whatever way you look at it the board has delivered what most people were asking for. Had Miller managed say Motherwell during the 80's rather than Saints then moved on to the career he had I suspect we would all have been sitting here lauding the move. We have taken action in an attempt to save the season so let's get behind it.

I mind me and a few other lads marching down to Love Street from School in our lunch hour because we were so pissed off that Saints had lost 5-1 away to Forfar in the League Cup the night before.

We were daft wee lads, who rang the bell at the stadium and politely asked the somewhat bemused individual who answered the door if we could speak to the manager.

Sure enough Alex Miller came down, and invited us all into one of the dressing rooms where he was happy to take and answer any questions we had.

He didn't have to do that, and looking back it was quite amazing that he took the time to do it. Never forgotten that.

I mind me and a few other lads marching down to Love Street from School in our lunch hour because we were so pissed off that Saints had lost 5-1 away to Forfar in the League Cup the night before.

We were daft wee lads, who rang the bell at the stadium and politely asked the somewhat bemused individual who answered the door if we could speak to the manager.

Sure enough Alex Miller came down, and invited us all into one of the dressing rooms where he was happy to take and answer any questions we had.

He didn't have to do that, and looking back it was quite amazing that he took the time to do it. Never forgotten that.

Aye, those were the days.

Jumpers for goalposts and oranges at HT, etc.....

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how this pans out. If we had left things as they were we would have at best just escaped relegation. Miller will get the respect of the whole dressing room, that alone is a step in the right direction....Rumours of some of the players having little respect for the management might be close to the truth, Miller at least will put a stop to that. I think he will offer a whole lot more than that in terms of tactics and motivational skills so IMO it can only improve our current situation.

I went to a school in Glasgow and was surrounded by Rangers supporters with the odd Aberdeen and Dundee Utd supporter kicking about. When we were playing in Europe we even had these supposed Rangers fans going to watch us beat Slavia Prague and raving about it afterwards... I'd take getting to the play offs this season...changed days!!

Hmmm I'm also still tainted by unhappy memories of his first spell, He strikes me as a guy who's been touting himself for a job for a while. Aye, he worked as a coach with world class players at Liverpool, but he won't be doing that here. If it's anything like his first spell, stand by for a series of 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, and if we're lucky, the odd 2-1 epic.

I'd rather be drawing 0-0, 1-1 and wining 1-0, 2-1 than losing 3-0, 3-2 etc whistling.gif

Lets hope Miller has learned a lesson from last time and that he doesn't turn up at Ralston for his first day in training wearing a Rangers top.

Remember quite a lot being made of that at the time but he was marking his territory right away. I"ll do what I want , and you'll do what I want too !

Remember quite a lot being made of that at the time but he was marking his territory right away. I"ll do what I want , and you'll do what I want too !

He was a young guy at the time, in hindsight he might have thought twice about doing that. I hope he helps Murray become the manger that many of us believed he could be when he first arrived at St Mirren.

Given I spoke of bagging Spalding in favour of an experienced, older head, I'm not about to criticise this arrangement. What is somewhat odd is how has been billed, with Miller coming in to 'help Murray out' (or words to that effect).

Ultimately, no-one will give a monkey's chunky about the terms of the arrangement if it works out well, but it does potentially leave Murray in an unusual position - not least in the eyes of the guys he is supposed to be in charge of.

I reckon the terminology is to protect the club. They simply couldn't afford to bag Murray. Chances are they would be struggling for a pay off for Spalding too... ... however... if the "position" of assistant manager was made redundant then it would allow them to bring in Miller to aid the manager under a new structure without fear of legal recourse.

St Mirren offers the exact same wage Hibs were offering to keep him at Saints. Later Alex returned to Love Street for the clubs Christmas party.

As you know Alex was a young manager then we got to three semi finals under his guidance he went to Hibs , Aberdeen then first team coach at Liverpool so has a wealth of experience for his return.

3? That's not my memory. I'm sure McFarlane took us to three - Aberdeen, Rangers and Rangers. Miller only had the one against Celtic at Hampden Park.

Just checked - yep I'm right.

League Cup Semi Final v Rangers 7th October 1981 and 28th October 1981

Scottish Cup Semi Final v Aberdeen 3rd April 1982 - replay on the 7th April

Scottish Cup Semi Final v Rangers 16th April 1983 - replay on the 19th April

Then the

Scottish Cup Semi Final v Celtic 14th April 1984

Alex Miller took charge of St Mirren in October 1983.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Pity they did not take up Miller's offer last year as I would have preferred Teale to Murray in the same circumstances. Teale identified all the dross and quickly got rid of most of them then and unfortunately lost his top scorer and best player when the window was closing. His signings were not great but his hands were tied at the time. His biggest problem was Goodwin and Thommo but Miller would have sorted that out.

One thing for certain is that every player will know his role in the side and the job he is expected to do each and every game. Millers attention to detail is absolute and his teams would often spend a couple of hours after training going over the opposition player by player, strength by strength and weakness by weakness......day after day after day until it sank in

And immediately pissed off Frank McAvennie who talks about him to this day as being one of the least professional managers he's ever come across. I don't know if McAvennie adapted his usual Sportsmans Dinner talks for my benefit to include a lot more St Mirren material that night, or if that's part of his spiel every time he does one of these things, but his hatred for the man was absolutely obvious.

Pity they did not take up Miller's offer last year as I would have preferred Teale to Murray in the same circumstances. Teale identified all the dross and quickly got rid of most of them then and unfortunately lost his top scorer and best player when the window was closing. His signings were not great but his hands were tied at the time. His biggest problem was Goodwin and Thommo but Miller would have sorted that out.

Perhaps Teale didn't want to work with Miller for all the same reasons many are suggesting on here right now. The appointment of Miller totally undermines Ian Murray IMO. Not that I have a big problem with that. Miller is experienced and he is probably what St Mirren need right now. I just can't understand why the board didn't go the whole hog and take Murray out of the equation too.

3? That's not my memory. I'm sure McFarlane took us to three - Aberdeen, Rangers and Rangers. Miller only had the one against Celtic at Hampden Park.

Just checked - yep I'm right.

League Cup Semi Final v Rangers 7th October 1981 and 28th October 1981

Scottish Cup Semi Final v Aberdeen 3rd April 1982 - replay on the 7th April

Scottish Cup Semi Final v Rangers 16th April 1983 - replay on the 19th April

Then the

Scottish Cup Semi Final v Celtic 14th April 1984

Alex Miller took charge of St Mirren in October 1983.

The tenth word of your post... pretty sure it's 'us'. Hold on. Yes, most definitely 'us'.

Mask slipped. Careless.