Confirmed - Alex Miller In

Kemp

You have the memory of a pensioner !

Oi ! Watch it laddie, there's a few of us on here who qualify you know.

To be fair, Lex was getting a bit past his best by the time he left and played about the same number of games for Dundee as Mackie played for us and we finished above Dundee both seasons and Mackie did have a better scoring record. We were stiffed with the Sinclair part of the deal though. He hardly played at all after his few games for us and there were some whispers that the medical was a bit iffy at the time.

Remember, it was basically Alex Millar's team that won the cup in '87? He signed Derek Hamilton, Neil Cooper, Kenny McDowall, big Basil and brought back Frank McGarvey for starters.

Oi ! Watch it laddie, there's a few of us on here who qualify you know.

To be fair, Lex was getting a bit past his best by the time he left and played about the same number of games for Dundee as Mackie played for us and we finished above Dundee both seasons and Mackie did have a better scoring record. We were stiffed with the Sinclair part of the deal though. He hardly played at all after his few games for us and there were some whispers that the medical was a bit iffy at the time.

Remember, it was basically Alex Millar's team that won the cup in '87? He signed Derek Hamilton, Neil Cooper, Kenny McDowall, big Basil and brought back Frank McGarvey for starters.

Sinclair was signed before Miller came to the club

Do I welcome him back?? Frankly no, I mean this guy set up a swap deal with Dundee with Lex Richardson and John McCormack going to Dens and Peter effin Mackie and Eric (one game) Sinclair coming to Love Street. Wonder who got the better of that transfer????

Someone mentioned certain players being sold McDougal, McAvennie and Fulton to name but a few however, Ian Scanlon was never sold on, he picked up a career ending injury in 1985 and was never heard of again.

Looks like the board have yet again employed a pensioner to sort out the current shambles, god help us!!!

Was it not Ricky McFarlane who arranged that swap deal? Miller inherited Sinclair and quickly showed him the door.

Was it not Ricky McFarlane who arranged that swap deal? Miller inherited Sinclair and quickly showed him the door.

I'm scratching my head on this one as Rikki started the 83/84 season but resigned Septemberish and Miller took over in early October. The deal with Dundee was in 83 but it was before "the window" came in and he did do a bit of wheeling and dealing soon after he was appointed. Is there a St Mirren "Statto" out there?

Would I not be correct in saying that Miller signed a certain "Ian ferguson" from Clyde for a paltry sum and I think we can all agree that turned out to be a pretty important signing in our history ...... also made the club a nice sum of money in a huge transfer fee...I think Miller is a sensible appointment and one which should steady the ship for the remainder of the season and hopefully Murray can learn of his wealth of knowledge

Edited by gazmc83

I'm scratching my head on this one as Rikki started the 83/84 season but resigned Septemberish and Miller took over in early October. The deal with Dundee was in 83 but it was before "the window" came in and he did do a bit of wheeling and dealing soon after he was appointed. Is there a St Mirren "Statto" out there?

Sinclair was already there and Lexy gone before Miller arrived. Sinclair was shown the door almost immediately. The only players Miller brought in before the end of the year were Drew Jarvie on a free , Derek Hamilton for £4k and Neil Cooper for £10k , he also tried to sign Phil Bonnyman from Grimsby , but that fell through. John McCormack played the remainder of the 83/84 season with us ! Miller's first victory came against Rangers (3-0) only a few weeks after a 5-0 defeat at Ibrox , there was only one change in the team Drew Jarvie replacing John McEachern !

In fairness, to counter the conspiracy theories - Miller mentioned he was 33 when he became the youngest manager in the league at St Mirren.

Ian Murray is 34, a similar age to Miller when he was manager. I'm sure Miller made many mistakes back then - in the same way that Murray is making them now - might help to have someone in there who has "been there, done that".

Of course it might not, and we've always got the option of getting rid of Ian, moving Miller to manager and bringing in KMcD as number 2.

In fairness, to counter the conspiracy theories - Miller mentioned he was 33 when he became the youngest manager in the league at St Mirren.

Ian Murray is 34, a similar age to Miller when he was manager. I'm sure Miller made many mistakes back then - in the same way that Murray is making them now - might help to have someone in there who has "been there, done that".

Of course it might not, and we've always got the option of getting rid of Ian, moving Miller to manager and bringing in KMcD as number 2.

.....................and you start by countering conspiracy theories................wink.png

It was six years ago when he left Liverpool! Is Thommo as effective as he was six years ago?

They point stands... You still can't polish a turd!

It wouldnt matter if Murray was flanked by Shankley & Fergie.... He Hasn't got it, otherwise he wouldnt have picked a fellow dud as assistant.

Miller got papped from his last job at a Russian first division club three years ago, and in his last three appointments he only last an average of five months at each before getting papped..... HELLO earth calling St Mirren board!!! This guy has bombed more often than the Taliban in the last six years.

Similar to Craig then. Decent coach, not had it cut out as a manager.

Miller is in to force Murray out on the cheap. It will blow up in the boards face though if Murray digs his heels and and says 'f**k em'

Agreed. Any success from this point is Miller's and continued failure will be 'credited' to Murray. My hunch, is Murray will resign (leaving on the cheap) maybe at the end of the season but its difficult to believe he's going to be around for any sort of sustained period.

I think there is too much being read in to Alex Miller's appointment.

As I said previously, I reckon he's probably working for the club for free, apart from expenses, at least that was the offer he made before.

Things clearly aren't working, but the board don't have a bottomless pit of money to throw at replacing the whole management team yet again so they have gone for a middle ground option that fingers crossed might pay dividends without costing us any money.

And if things don't improve under Murray with Miller beside him then yeah, I guess they could go for Miller as manager but I really don't think that fits to be honest.

If Miller was to stay it would be more likely in a Director of Football role with a younger head coach, much the same way that Hearts have done with Levein & Neilson.

I mean Murray had to say it was his choice when asked.

He could hardly come out and say the BOD told me Alex Miller was my new assistant last night.

Although I suspect that's what happened.

It's exactly what happened. It's also the best case scenario for a manager who has had the shocking start that Murray has had. Our struggles so far this season have led us to this point.

It is apparent from the goings on of the last few days that Murray's choice was to be sacked along with his assistant, and wait for a payout, or to agree to Miller coming in to help out and keep his job a while longer, with a possibility of an old disciplinarian kick some arses and getting us organised.

As I said previously, I reckon he's probably working for the club for free, apart from expenses, at least that was the offer he made before.

Things clearly aren't working, but the board don't have a bottomless pit of money to throw at replacing the whole management team yet again so they have gone for a middle ground option that fingers crossed might pay dividends without costing us any money.

And if things don't improve under Murray with Miller beside him then yeah, I guess they could go for Miller as manager but I really don't think that fits to be honest.

If Miller was to stay it would be more likely in a Director of Football role with a younger head coach, much the same way that Hearts have done with Levein & Neilson.

Is it any wonder there is 'too much' being read into Miller's appointment? We appointed Danny and his assistant Jenkins was swiftly bagged. An 'auld head' came in and before too long that 'auld head' was sitting behind Danny's desk with Jim Goodwin and Gary Teale gurning beside him in fresh crisp club shirts and ties. Meanwhile, Sir Thommo of Handsomeness was supposedly less than enamoured to be overlooked. Not so fast though.... Our triumvirate dream team of the auld head and the crispy white shirts didnae' work, and was soon broken up, as Goodwin had to dig his Carbrini trackky' back out the cupboard, stop ironing his crispy white shirt and give his club tie to a punter in corporate one day. Sir Thommo of Handsomeness' mood is unknown at this point. Wait though, the pantomime is far from over... Oh yes it is!... Oh no it isn't. The remaining crispy white shirt and club tie guy sees off the 'auld head', and once removing the auld head's Werther Originals and frayed copy of Razzle from the manager's desk, becomes manager himself. No auld head assistant for him... The youth bloke gets a crispy shirt and tie! A new dream team.... Sir Thommo of Handsomeness retires to the Bull Inn for a packet of pork scratchings and a half of milk stout. Can it last? Can it fcuk. Still pish... They're offski eventually. Free club ties in corporate again as Campbell saves a fortune in handing out corporate ties. Drum roll... a fresh-faced hero emerges. A handsome young chap who looks dapper in the crispy shirt / club tie combo. He brings in his own assisstant who is photographed in rascal clobber that even a pissed-up corporate guest won't accept when the inevitable happens and the assistant we haven't heard of gets bagged... Sure enough, the assistant we haven't heard of is swiftly bagged... Disaster for Murray - who will throw bottles of Highland Spring to his players now? The rascal clobber bloke was so good at it. Murray ponders.... He decides (all on his own), to send for an experienced Highland Spring thrower. It's another 'auld head'. The circle is complete.....

Sir Thommo of Handsomeness orders another milk stout and a packet of scampi fries.

Edited by pozbaird

I agree with what you say Div however I think you would have to define 'too much being read into'.

Murray has lost his mate only about 15/16 weeks after making him Assistant manager and expressing his supreme confidence in him. I would guess firing him now was not Murray's decision. Miller was appointed and again I would guess not Murray's decision. I would suggest Miller's appointment is a six foot high vote of no confidence in Murray. I think MIller is a very significant appointment in that respect.

And as I have stated elsewhere it is a very shrewd appointment by the BOD. I do not believe it is a long-term situation with Miller. He either steadies the ship or takes over on a temporary basis until the mess sorts itself out when Murray is finally punted and gives us time to find someone else. Either way I would take it as a very significant move.

It's exactly what happened. It's also the best case scenario for a manager who has had the shocking start that Murray has had. Our struggles so far this season have led us to this point.

It is apparent from the goings on of the last few days that Murray's choice was to be sacked along with his assistant, and wait for a payout, or to agree to Miller coming in to help out and keep his job a while longer, with a possibility of an old disciplinarian kick some arses and getting us organised.

Conspiracy is one thing Saints fans are good at or pulling salaries out of thin air. Or if there is to be a negative spin if will always far out way a positive spin by quite a margin which says a lot about our support.

Saying that this is what a forum is for

Lets say you are a manager at work and after being impressed by a employee at an interview and know some of his previous work. You decided to make him a unit manager. However things are not being run the way you would have hoped.

What can be done.

Sack him

Or get one of your experienced team to help bring the new employee talents to the fore by giving him guidance.

I would go for the latter and that's what the club is doing to support Murray. How it will pan out in the future I don't know.

Do I welcome him back?? Frankly no, I mean this guy set up a swap deal with Dundee with Lex Richardson and John McCormack going to Dens and Peter effin Mackie and Eric (one game) Sinclair coming to Love Street!!

To be fair as I recall, it was Keith Chegwin that brokered that deal, albeit last minute on a Saturday morning before an important game,

If memory serves me correct we also got a Mouse Trap game in exchange, with the moose missing?

Miller must get a wage surely. It's absolutely ridiculous to ask I guy to come into.your club turn it around and over him 50 quid for petrol. Honestly that's just ridiculous. Div I don't think miller is here just for nothing but what I would point out yet again is that after several cheap appointments we have had to eventually pay out money. The whole thing is so clear. The board can't afford to punt murray so he is here for now but if by chance we do improve its not murray who will get the credit and not should he as frankly he had been lost in the dugout since arriving

Miller himself said in a radio interview last year that he offered to help out Gary Teale for free for a month to see how things pan out then he would be happy to take a nominal monthly wage at the rate of coach/assistant manger. No contract and St Mirren could let him go at any time. That was from the man himself.

Miller is 66 and been in football a long time and probably not short of a bob or two. He was head coach with Liverpool when they won the Champions League so I am pretty sure he was on good money and bonuses then. Its not all about money. He said his motivation was to put something back into the game. St Mirren have now taken him up on his kind offer.

Is it any wonder there is 'too much' being read into Miller's appointment? We appointed Danny and his assistant Jenkins was swiftly bagged. An 'auld head' came in and before too long that 'auld head' was sitting behind Danny's desk with Jim Goodwin and Gary Teale gurning beside him in fresh crisp club shirts and ties.

Before too long = three full seasons and a cup win later.

I think it's too much for any manager who's never managed at full time level before to come in to a club and succeed without full time coaching experience behind them.

Was too much for Danny and was too much for Murray. Something had to change and we now have one of the most experienced managers/coaches in Scotland working with Murray instead of a guy who'd never even played the game before.

Whatever happens, I don't think it's going to get any worse.