Fans As Poor As The Team

Our team have been very poor this season which is ultimately down to poor team selection and management. However, our support have added to the problem by being quick to get on players backs and we are sadly lacking in getting a good atmosphere at home. We need to get behind the team and create a bit of an atmosphere

Edited by Mrmister

Our team have been very poor this season which is ultimately down to poor team selection and management. However, our support have added to the problem by being quick to get on players backs and we are sadly lacking in getting a good atmosphere at home. We need to get behind the team and create a bit of an atmosphere

Aye that's right, it's the customers fault. Not only are they expected to blindly handover large sums of money for an inferior product they are also supposed to sing, dance and look happy about it at all times too. What a load of shite!

I was at the Livingston game at Almondvale where a bunch of St Mirren fans sung all afternoon. I have to say it was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. The team gives away a penalty.....fans keep on singing. The teams playing shite.....fans keep on singing. Team scores and takes the lead.....fans keep on singing. Team can't keep possession and Livingston dominate the final stages of the match.....fans keep on singing. And amongst their song playlist "We're St Mirren, the mighty St Mirren, we only win away", and a whole load of songs trying to get people they knew in the support to wave at them. It was almost like none of them gave a shite about the match itself. That IMO is not supporting the team, it's more about trying to get attention from others at the match.

Let the play on the park take the lead. If the players are crunching into tackles, clearly giving everything they have and competing in matches then the customers will show their appreciation. Put in the same large periods of lacklustre incompetent pish as they have been doing for the last few seasons.....they deserve all the abuse they get from a customer base that feels entirely ripped off week in week out.

Now Mr Dickson I do think that you have just made the most sensible post that I have read from you on this very forum.

When you are not blaming the Scottish government or the SNP for anything and everything you really can provide a modicum of sense when you try.

Well done, keep it up, keep it up indeed.

Completely agree with Stuart on this one. It seems that Saints have lost the plot with trying to attract fans. Not only are the team playing terribly (and have been for years now) but the admission charge is outrageous for the low quality of "entertainment" on offer.

I make no apology for continuing on the pricing theme. Until they come to sense, i, and many others , will continue to absent ourselves.

Wonder what the admission price will be next season if we are demoted again, and will it continue to be "all ticket" Another joke thats not in the least funny.

This is not like you Stuart...talking sense i mean. The fans will create an atmosphere if the team actually give them something to shout about, such as goals, exciting, attacking football and showing 100% commitment and the will to win.

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

Shame on these boys for singing, having a laugh and enjoying themselves at the football. Down with that sort of thing, there's no place for it in the modern game!

I've often thought some of the 'Ultra' groups, particularly Motherwell's, seem to think the game is more like an audition for the X Factor than paying any attention to the game, but then I realise that I'm just turning into a cynical, grumpy old fart, who's been tainted by years of disappointment while watching St Mirren.

I was at Falkirk and was struck by how patient the support were, considering what we had to endure. I don't subscribe to the booing, but don't think others have been too quick to do it either of late. Maybe that is more to do with indifference and resignation than patience, though.

Is this SGG's new alias?

I only ask that because the post appears to blame everyone else but the real culprits!

FFS Stew... A bit less obvious next time!

I'm not so sure that I'd agree. From a music perspective, when I'm on stage and the audience are supportive, I play better and the band sounds more coherent and generally we give a better performance. I imagine playing football in front of a crowd would be similar. If you run out onto the pitch expecting to be booed and heckled by your own fans it will psychologically have an affect on you.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't see anything wrong with fans supporting their team when they are level and then when they are winning, in fact I would expect it.

The atmosphere does help/hinder the players, there's no doubt about it. But at the same time, to generate an atmosphere, the fans need the team to perform and give effort. It's a co-dependant relationship, it isn't one or the other.

I actually think when we win/score goals/play well, the atmosphere can get pretty damn good at the stadium. It just doesn't happen all that often, unfortunately.

I'm not so sure that I'd agree. From a music perspective, when I'm on stage and the audience are supportive, I play better and the band sounds more coherent and generally we give a better performance. I imagine playing football in front of a crowd would be similar. If you run out onto the pitch expecting to be booed and heckled by your own fans it will psychologically have an affect on you.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't see anything wrong with fans supporting their team when they are level and then when they are winning, in fact I would expect it.

I once went to the bungalow to see the Q Tips on a thursday night. Even though they were getting national airplay and attention, there were only 3 other punters there. the other 3 were from Stirling Uni students union and didn't even pay! after 5 minutes the doorman gave me my money back as long as I bought a pint (you wouldn't want to argue with this guy so i bought a round for the students as i was going straight to nightshift.

Anyhoo, the point is, the Q Tips played a stormer and ripped every tune, they even played 3 encores to the crowd of 4 and it was truly one of my top 5 gigs ever. You CAN bring out a performance despite the size or nature of the crowd and take them with you. I wouldn't only blame the players but they can do their bit to lift things

Edited by beyond our ken

I once went to the bungalow to see the Q Tips on a thursday night. Even though they were getting national airplay and attention, there were only 3 other punters there. the other 3 were from Stirling Uni students union and didn't even pay! after 5 minutes the doorman gave me my money back as long as I bought a pint (you wouldn't want to argue with this guy so i bought a round for the students as i was going straight to nightshift.

Anyhoo, the point is, the Q Tips played a stormer and ripped every tune, they even played 3 encores to the crowd of 4 and it was truly one of my top 5 gigs ever. You CAN bring out a performance despite the size or nature of the crowd and take them with you. I wouldn't only blame the players but they can do their bit to lift things

I once went to the bungalow to see the Q Tips on a thursday night. Even though they were getting national airplay and attention, there were only 3 other punters there. the other 3 were from Stirling Uni students union and didn't even pay! after 5 minutes the doorman gave me my money back as long as I bought a pint (you wouldn't want to argue with this guy so i bought a round for the students as i was going straight to nightshift. Quote

Do you think the Q Tips would be up for turning out against the Hibees?

Edited by Lord Pityme

Do you think the Q Tips will be up for turning out against the Hibees?

I see what you're saying... :unsure:

Jings...

I've been worrying that you just don't appear to be getting your message across(one with which I have a modicum of empathy, btw), but THAT's taking appalling communication to a whole new level. :lol:

Anyway.... it is what it is.

One of your worst efforts.

Jings...

I've been worrying that you just don't appear to be getting your message across(one with which I have a modicum of empathy, btw), but THAT's taking appalling communication to a whole new level. :lol:

Anyway.... it is what it is.

One of your worst efforts.

I wear your ill informed criticism as a badge of HONOR...

Your post jist looks bawz noo!

Edited by Lord Pityme

I wear your ill informed criticism as a badge of HONOR...

It's fine.

I am keeping a list of all your lazy typos, grammar cock-ups, misunderstandings, attempted mispelt wind-ups and you will be first up against the wall, when the pedant revolution comes along.

You'll be pelted with Grocers' 'ap'ostrophes.

eta for a f**kin typo!!!!

Edited by bluto

Aye that's right, it's the customers fault. Not only are they expected to blindly handover large sums of money for an inferior product they are also supposed to sing, dance and look happy about it at all times too. What a load of shite!

I was at the Livingston game at Almondvale where a bunch of St Mirren fans sung all afternoon. I have to say it was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. The team gives away a penalty.....fans keep on singing. The teams playing shite.....fans keep on singing. Team scores and takes the lead.....fans keep on singing. Team can't keep possession and Livingston dominate the final stages of the match.....fans keep on singing. And amongst their song playlist "We're St Mirren, the mighty St Mirren, we only win away", and a whole load of songs trying to get people they knew in the support to wave at them. It was almost like none of them gave a shite about the match itself. That IMO is not supporting the team, it's more about trying to get attention from others at the match.

Let the play on the park take the lead. If the players are crunching into tackles, clearly giving everything they have and competing in matches then the customers will show their appreciation. Put in the same large periods of lacklustre incompetent pish as they have been doing for the last few seasons.....they deserve all the abuse they get from a customer base that feels entirely ripped off week in week out.

Have to disagree with you on this one Stuart.

For me, a football "supporter" is not a "customer". The fans have a part to play, just as much as the players on the park, the managers, coaching staff, backroom staff, pie shop staff, ticket sellers, the board and everyone else involved with the club.

Part of the problem with Scottish football is that too many people go, expecting to be entertained as a "customer". IMO, that's not a valid reason to support St Mirren. If you want to be a customer, go to the pub or get a BT Sport subscription.

I support St Mirren because it’s my local team, I grew up supporting them. Many fans go to games home and away, week in week out – have a laugh with their mates but ultimately get behind the team as much as they can. Not everyone wants to go to football matches and sing, that’s fair enough – but considering yourself a customer is not the same as being a supporter.

As a “supporter”, we should encourage the team – not discourage them. Taking the game at Livingston as an example, the players applauded the fans at full time and looked like they enjoyed the support they received. Despite small numbers, we created a decent enough atmosphere throughout the game.

Compare that to one of our home games, where all you can hear is “F**KIN’ BOOO!” “F*CK SAKE CHEESY!”, “YER PISH ST MIRREN!”. It’s no wonder we get a reputation as the club that boo’s.

Football is a small world, players talk, just like fans do. We can’t expect to attract good quality players, when those players know that they’re going to be on the receiving end of abuse from their own fans. You might see it as your right as a “customer” to complain about the “product” on offer – but that’s a very capitalist view of a football match.

Now I’m not sure what you do for work – but let’s imagine you’re an office worker. Would you do a better job when people are being helpful and supportive, or when people are surrounding your desk, screaming abuse at you?

Our away record is far better than our home record. IMO, the reason for this is obvious. Our team don’t enjoy playing at home, they don’t feel supported. Away from home our support is always much more vocal – the singing tends to drown out the abuse.

Why don’t we try being positive and cheering the team on at home? You never know, that optimism could be the difference between a win and a loss…

That said, if the Saints went out in front of a crowd of three home supporters they probably wouldn't feel the pressure of a silent majority waiting for them to fcuk up so they could boo them. There are always exceptions to the rule lol.gif

Chicken & Egg at home.

The fans will respond and react to what they see happening on the pitch. I've witnessed noise in the West Stand that was deafening when we beat Celtic 4-0, knocked them out the Scottish Cup and beat Rangers on Xmas Eve. The stadium is often criticised for causing the poor atmosphere but the reality is that it's what's happening on the park that is the root cause.

The fans at home CAN be unreasonable though. There are individuals who we all hear every home game who go out their way to be negative and who simply can't wait to berate our own team. That has been true for all the years I've been supporting Saints, and I guess it's most likely true of every club in the land.

I've never really understood it, but i actually think some of our fans ENJOY being negative. I guess it's their outlet after a shite week at work or whatever.