Paul Lambert

Just checked...£250k + Gardner.

Yeah not a great deal, I recall Gardner as being a bit of a joke player? He'd prob be a star in the current team mind you. I wonder if McLean or mcginn will become full caps? No champions league or World Cup though. I always admired lambert (until he went to celtic) as he maximised his talent to achieve so much with good technical ability and improved discipline from going abroad. He was also willing to try a new experience/challenge and ultimately got his reward

Yeah not a great deal, I recall Gardner as being a bit of a joke player? He'd prob be a star in the current team mind you. I wonder if McLean or mcginn will become full caps? No champions league or World Cup though. I always admired lambert (until he went to celtic) as he maximised his talent to achieve so much with good technical ability and improved discipline from going abroad. He was also willing to try a new experience/challenge and ultimately got his reward

I believe both mcginn and mclean will become full caps within next five years.

Lambert was also expounding in his belief that Scottish football has suffered due to Rangers 'demotion' to the bottom tier.

There's no danger of him winning Mastermind in years to come.

He seemed to miss the point about Rangers being stripped of titles, and settled for the old 'it's 11 v 11 and they were the better team' patter. He's been down south for ages, but these guys do themselves no favours when they start talking about issues that they haven't a clue about. It's more proof that fans and players view the game in a completely different way.

Aw I thought you'd seen him in asda

:-(

Might do

I'm sure he's staying in Kilbarchan as i've seen him about there recently

He did make a good valid point about young players would improve by playing in a reserve league instead of an U/20 league

He was 15 playing against experienced players and it bought him on quicker than playing against players his own age

It would bridge the gap and stop promising players looking like a fish out of water when they are put in

I,m sure it was reported as £175k plus Gardiner , but later we heard the fee was nearer £100k , apparently there was a sell on clause ( not sure of the percentage , but it could have been as much as %50 ) ,

The money received for Lambert probably stopped us going bust that month

Edited by MenstrieSaint

I believe both mcginn and mclean will become full caps within next five years.

I would be surprised if either of them got full caps.

McLean is the same age as guys like Jack and Armstrong, yet is behind them in terms of experience at the top level. Neither of them can get caps as it's very hard to get called up if you're playing in Scotland. Rightly so, the standard of football here is dire, as we see every year when our best teams get ripped up by continental opponents.

McGinn certainly has more chance as he's younger. But again, it was only a few months ago when no one in England thought he was worth a punt. No wonder, he was utterly hopeless last season. I'm not surprised he's looking good in the Scottish Championship, but it is the Scottish Championship let's remember.

There's Scottish players the same age and younger than McGinn who are doing well at a higher level.

Lambert was a decent enough player, his career basically turned when Motherwell drew Dortmund in the old Uefa cup, Ottmar Hitzfeld saw something in him and signed him, started playing his as a defensive midfielder and the rest they say is history.

Without drawing Dortmund, his career would have fizzled out in Scotland, and all he would have remembered for was winning the cup with us as a 17 year old.

The only manager that has played McLean in his best position is Gary Teale imho. As soon as Teale took over he moved McLean to main striker or just off the main striker where Kenny hit a purple patch and got him his transfer. McInnes is now playing him deeper and getting less out of him like every other manager has. On the radio at the weekend they were commenting about McLeans 'loss of form' but the solution is simple. Play him further forward like Teale did. :)