Scottish Greens, Fans First, Sg And Fitzy

Drew

Just received notification of an event being convened by the Renfrewshire branch of the Scottish Green Party on 25th November to disuss fan ownership and community involvement.

Meeting runs from 7pm to 9pm at the Wynd Centre, School Wynd. Tickets are free, and available from Eventbrite.

Could be interesting.

Edited by Drew

Hello folks,

As my stepda said i'm part of the Renfrewshire Greens. The event is to talk about the Fans First proposal with Alison Johnstone MSP and to also talk to Stewart Gilmour and Stewart Fitzpatrick about their thoughts, opinions etc as well.

A fourth speaker is now confirmed as Paul Goodwin, director of the Scottish Football Supporters Association. (

It'd be brilliant to have as many people there as possible so Alison can take onboard your comments as the people who would hopefully benefit/want the changes as well as hearing what the people involved with the club might actually think about it too.

The event is totally free, please use the eventbrite link below if you are coming along.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fans-first-hosted-by-renfrewshire-greens-tickets-19250000269

Cheers

If you are curious about the proposal, the link below will give you some background to Alison and her Fans First policy,

https://www.scottishgreens.org.uk/campaigns/fan-ownership/

Edited by RPMorrison729

I've got to admit I get really suspicious when political parties get involved. The fact that in this case it's the Green Party, who have no power and no chance of power in Renfrewshire never mind the Scottish Parliament or Westminster leads to me to wonder what the point is. I'm not sure I'd back fan ownership either these days. Football clubs should be owned by their local communities not necessarily their fans.

As an example, I support Sunderland and I get down to watch them maybe 4 or 5 times a season. However in terms of running the club, I'd be nothing more than a distant observer passionate about what happens on the park but blissfully ignorant to the effect of decisions being made to the people in the local community.

The renaming of New St Mirren Park is a classic example. Paisley's bid to become City of Culture should have had the full backing of the football club but instead the people running the club saw fit to make a rather grubby grab for £60,000 of council tax payers money. Fans of the club remote who don't pay council tax in the town and who don't use public services probably would be happy with the cash grab, but it's going to have a much different effect on those who are reliant on the council to provide them with safe clean and secure dressing rooms for juvenile clubs to change in, or for those reliant on the local council to repair damage done to goals, nets or even to the 3g parks in the area. I suspect a Community Owned football club wouldn't have gone for the cash grab, choosing instead to play a longer game which would benefit the town and ultimately the football club and I suspect that they would have made a much better fist of running the club than fans.

I've got to admit I get really suspicious when political parties get involved. The fact that in this case it's the Green Party, who have no power and no chance of power in Renfrewshire never mind the Scottish Parliament or Westminster leads to me to wonder what the point is. I'm not sure I'd back fan ownership either these days. Football clubs should be owned by their local communities not necessarily their fans.

As an example, I support Sunderland and I get down to watch them maybe 4 or 5 times a season. However in terms of running the club, I'd be nothing more than a distant observer passionate about what happens on the park but blissfully ignorant to the effect of decisions being made to the people in the local community.

The renaming of New St Mirren Park is a classic example. Paisley's bid to become City of Culture should have had the full backing of the football club but instead the people running the club saw fit to make a rather grubby grab for £60,000 of council tax payers money. Fans of the club remote who don't pay council tax in the town and who don't use public services probably would be happy with the cash grab, but it's going to have a much different effect on those who are reliant on the council to provide them with safe clean and secure dressing rooms for juvenile clubs to change in, or for those reliant on the local council to repair damage done to goals, nets or even to the 3g parks in the area. I suspect a Community Owned football club wouldn't have gone for the cash grab, choosing instead to play a longer game which would benefit the town and ultimately the football club and I suspect that they would have made a much better fist of running the club than fans.

Bollocks!

Show me any football club of any size that wouldn't take money to enhance the lot of its community!

You've lost your argue,ent big time there, you are actually coming across as anti-community. And its a community you do not live in, leave it to those who do!

The Green Party are in favour of fan and community ownership models - it is entirely consistent with their overall ethos.

They are seeking to promote this through the Scottish Parliament. If you think that is interference and a cheap attempt to gain votes, don't support them. It really isn't hard.

Bollocks!

Show me any football club of any size that wouldn't take money to enhance the lot of its community!

You've lost your argue,ent big time there, you are actually coming across as anti-community. And its a community you do not live in, leave it to those who do!

St Mirren took £60,000 of council tax money for an item they couldn't sell for love nor money over the last 7 years. That's the equivalent of just 240 season tickets. As far as I can make out it has angered many in the Paisley community who see it as a gross waste of council money. St Mirren could have grabbed some valuable positive PR by refusing the money, or at least donating it back to community projects, and still have come out on top if Paisley wins its bid to become City Of Culture.

The club took the short term decision yet again and I really don't think a community run football club would have made the same mistake.

Hello folks,

As my stepda said i'm part of the Renfrewshire Greens. The event is to talk about the Fans First proposal with Alison Johnstone MSP and to also talk to Stewart Gilmour and Stewart Fitzpatrick about their thoughts, opinions etc as well.

A fourth speaker is now confirmed as Paul Goodwin, director of the Scottish Football Supporters Association. (

It'd be brilliant to have as many people there as possible so Alison can take onboard your comments as the people who would hopefully benefit/want the changes as well as hearing what the people involved with the club might actually think about it too.

The event is totally free, please use the eventbrite link below if you are coming along.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fans-first-hosted-by-renfrewshire-greens-tickets-19250000269

Cheers

If you are curious about the proposal, the link below will give you some background to Alison and her Fans First policy,

As for whether the Greens are playing a cheap game to win votes......this chump can't even get the name of one of the clubs biggest legends right. :rolleyes:

St Mirren took £60,000 of council tax money for an item they couldn't sell for love nor money over the last 7 years. That's the equivalent of just 240 season tickets. As far as I can make out it has angered many in the Paisley community who see it as a gross waste of council money. St Mirren could have grabbed some valuable positive PR by refusing the money, or at least donating it back to community projects, and still have come out on top if Paisley wins its bid to become City Of Culture.

The club took the short term decision yet again and I really don't think a community run football club would have made the same mistake.

The Paisley community, oh do f**king give over. Even the Paisley Facebook page spends most of it's time promoting Braehead or the Airport.

As for whether the Greens are playing a cheap game to win votes......this chump can't even get the name of one of the clubs biggest legends right. rolleyes.gif

The chump in question has been going to see St Mirren with me since he was 10 (the last 12 years).

He has had a season ticket for 2 of the last 3 years.

I am unsure as to why you are always on this forum and go and watch St Mirren when you continually state you are not a St Mirren supporter. You go to see Sunderland 4 or 5 times a season, why don't you go and live on their forum and annoy people on there seeing as you're such a big supporter!!

Hello folks,

Cheers

I'm more surprised that this was his first post to be honest...!

Hope all goes well tonight clap.gif