Separated At Birth?

FTOF

.whistling.gif

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/renfrewshire-councillors-nazi-outburst-facebook-6813229

Renfrewshire councillor's Nazi outburst on Facebook

A councillor labelled a member of the public an “idiot”, a “wannabe Nazi” a “racist” and told him to wear a “white hood” during a heated Facebook spat. Labour man Terry Kelly became embroiled in a series of social media exchanges with Paisley dad and SNP supporter Stuart Rennie over Scottish Government policy.

A councillor labelled a member of the public an “idiot”, a “wannabe Nazi” a “racist” and told him to wear a “white hood” during a heated Facebook spat.

Labour man Terry Kelly became embroiled in a series of social media exchanges with Paisley dad and SNP supporter Stuart Rennie over Scottish Government policy.

During the debates, the Renfrewshire Council planning convener accused the nationalist of being a “racist” and “fascist” by supporting a party which “collaborated with the Nazis during WW2”.

He also called Mr Rennie a “creep” and “pathetic”, before dragging his family into the argument, adding: “are your children morons, as well?”

And when rebuked over his behaviour and reminded he served the community, Councillor Kelly retorted: “I’m doing that right now, it’s called pest control.”

Mr Rennie, 35, a taxi driver, from Glenburn, told how the councillor goaded him by urging him to make an official complaint about his actions.

He told the Paisley Daily Express: “I can’t believe he holds public office and behaves the way he does.

“He even laughed it off when I said I would report him.

“It is unbelievable that the Labour Party see him as the best possible candidate. In fact, I’m astonished.

“I won’t pretend I didn’t retort, I called him stupid and a liar.

“But never have I stooped to the level that he has sunk to.”

The pair began debating issues around the national police force and the UK’s nuclear deterrent on Labour councillor and environment board convener Eddie Devine’s Facebook page.

But the tone and content became soured, as the arguments grew more heated from April until last week, with Councillor Terry repeatedly abusing Mr Rennie.

The Paisley North West member has accused the SNP of colluding with Hitler and has slammed supporters as “Nazis” and “fascists”.

In Facebook post last week, he called the dad-of-two a “bozo” and told him to remember to take his “white hood” with him – an allusion to American race-hate group the Ku Klux Klan.

In earlier messages, he told him: “Calling you an idiot is not a personal insult, it’s a statement of fact.

“It is a matter of fact because I believe it to be so.”

In one rant, Councillor Kelly, who was first elected to serve the region in 1999, taunts: “It’s such a shame for you isn’t it, the big bad councillor bullying you.

“You are pathetic.

“If you can’t stand up for yourself, what use are you?”

The SNP has slammed the behaviour and accused prominent Labour MSPs and party figures of turning a blind eye to the abuse.

A party spokesman said: “Kezia Dugdale and the Labour Party have sought to piously lecture others about unacceptable online behaviour – yet for months, a prominent Labour councillor has been hurling appalling abuse at a member of the public – and even bringing his young children into it.

“Councillor Terry is friends on Facebook with several Labour MSPs and their deputy leader Alex Rowley.

“It is simply inconceivable that they did not know about his behaviour online.

“The SNP has been clear that we will always take action when unacceptable behaviour is brought to our attention.

“It’s now time for Kezia Dugdale to do the same – failure to do so would simply be an abdication of her responsibilities.”

Councillor Kelly is no stranger to controversy.

● Back in 2006, he dubbed members of the Mormon religion “morons” and “buffoons” and said he hoped God would “visit a plague of boils and locusts” on them.

He had launched the tirade against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on his website.

At that time, Douglas Yates of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Paisley, expressed his shock and disgust at Mr Kelly’s attack on his religion.

● Then in 2008 he suggested – on his internet blog – that Britain would be better off if the Royal Family met the same fate as Tsar Nicholas II of Russia and his family, who were murdered by Bolshevik revolutionaries in 1918.

● And in March this year, he hit the headlines again when he was accused of “smearing” council staff online.

During a row, he told one member of the public he wouldn’t let some social workers “look after my dug”.

The Scottish Labour Party says it is probing Councillor Kelly’s latest online rants.

A spokesman said: “All forms of abuse are unacceptable and the Labour Party is investigating this matter.”

Renfrewshire Council leader Mark Macmillan stressed that a probe is already ongoing, and said that Mr Kelly’s comments are “unacceptable”.

He added: “I know that Councillor Kelly has himself been the subject of many provocative and abusive comments from political opponents on social media.

“However, the bottom line is that this type of comment is unacceptable and does nothing to advance political engagement. The issue is rightly being investigated nationally by the Scottish Labour Party and that process is already under way.”

A the Paisley Daily Express went to press, Councillor Kelly said: “Many of the online comments to me have been extremely abusive. Over the course of a long and robust debate, I accept a few of my remarks were inappropriate.

“If, during the course of the debate, anyone has found my remarks offensive then I apologise.”

Don't do Facebook but I have seen Cllr Kelly's blog on occasion. It took me a few reads to establish it wasn't satire.

I just had a look at it. It's quite a site/sight: http://councillorterrykelly.blogspot.co.uk/

I haven't even bothered to look at it so he could be making some salient points for all I know - just look at the state of it!

In fairness Paisley doesn't appear to be a haven of political talent now Douglas Alexander has gone. Mhairi Black FFS - and to think the people of Paisley elected her.....rolleyes.gif

A serious question - has Mhairi Black set up a constituency office yet? I haven't seen any sign of one when I've been in Paisley (although the Dumfries MP's one is hardly obvious either) and her website still says she's a candidate for the seat.

A serious question - has Mhairi Black set up a constituency office yet? I haven't seen any sign of one when I've been in Paisley (although the Dumfries MP's one is hardly obvious either) and her website still says she's a candidate for the seat.

To be fair this is her first proper job, she won't have the first idea what she's doing.

To be fair this is her first proper job, she won't have the first idea what she's doing.

I'm sure I read she'd employed one of the report burning SNP folk as an office manager, which is a great gig if she doesn't have an office to manage.

Guest TPAFKATS

Fair enough. Surprised it took so long - same in Dumfries. Not exactly a shortage of empty properties in both towns sadly.

I read an interview with her a couple of weeks ago, I'm sure it was done in the wellmeadow premises.