Stadium Name Change?

MarkL

The name change is fair enough, but it strikes me as a hell of a lot of money for a council to waste. Surely a proper community club would be willing to help it's local council and it's local people with any attempt to obtain inward investment that boosts the local community for free. This smacks of greed by the football club - a football club that has already benefited from council tax payers money through the establishment of the Academy at Ralston.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

The name change is fair enough, but it strikes me as a hell of a lot of money for a council to waste. Surely a proper community club would be willing to help it's local council and it's local people with any attempt to obtain inward investment that boosts the local community for free. This smacks of greed by the football club - a football club that has already benefited from council tax payers money through the establishment of the Academy at Ralston.

The naming rights of the stadium have a commercial value.

If they had given them away for free you would have been on here criticising the club for not realising the value of the rights.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

As for good use of council tax money, I imagine the sponsorship is all wrapped up in the budget for the 2021 bid. That includes £57m being spent on the museum of which only £30m is coming from grants so I don't think we should lose much sleep over a £66K spend on something that plays a huge part in the life of tens of thousands of the residents of Renfrewshire.

Good on the council, who have really stepped up to the mark this year in making the town feel alive again. In the last few months we've had the Beer Festival, the Monte Carlo rally, the British Youth Cycling Championships, the Spree Festival, the Halloween Weekend, the Fireworks Weekend and the Xmas lights switch on and City of Culture bid launch should hopefully take place next weekend.

We at last have some energy and enthusiasm driving thigns forward and bringing punters back into the town centre.

If they had given them away for free you would have been on here criticising the club for not realising the value of the rights.

As for good use of council tax money, I imagine the sponsorship is all wrapped up in the budget for the 2021 bid. That includes £57m being spent on the museum of which only £30m is coming from grants so I don't think we should lose much sleep over a £66K spend on something that plays a huge part in the life of tens of thousands of the residents of Renfrewshire.

Good on the council, who have really stepped up to the mark this year in making the town feel alive again. In the last few months we've had the Beer Festival, the Monte Carlo rally, the British Youth Cycling Championships, the Spree Festival, the Halloween Weekend, the Fireworks Weekend and the Xmas lights switch on and City of Culture bid launch should hopefully take place next weekend.

We at last have some energy and enthusiasm driving thigns forward and bringing punters back into the town centre.

Div for Mayor!!!!!!

It ain't working for retail , believe me. Shopkeepers , particularly those who are well established , are saying that they have never known it as bad as it is now. This City of Culture thingy is one load of bollocks !

It ain't working for retail , believe me. Shopkeepers , particularly those who are well established , are saying that they have never known it as bad as it is now. This City of Culture thingy is one load of bollocks !

I have a lot of sympathy with the shopkeepers in the town. Braehead and Silverburn killed the town centre and I don't think the rates for high street locations reflects the difficulty businesses have operating in that environment.

I'm not really sure what the answer is but there are still bright lights like Sapporito who have proven you can still be a success in Paisley if you provide a great product or service.

Don't worry! You are not a local ratepayer unless you have moved your domicile in the past few days.

Div for Mayor!!!!!!

You live in a dream world Div, Council has no money to repair houses, Repair damp in OAPS houses, Roads covered In pot holes, But has money for all this rubbish, Got money for fireworks, £15,000 for some snotty nosed wee Herbert from x factor to mime a few songs, Time to get the priorities right,

PS, Sorry quoted the wrong post,

Edited by santaponsasaint

To be fair, it isn't working anywhere for retail in towns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-34826174

You live in a dream world Div, Council has no money to repair houses, Repair damp in OAPS houses, Roads covered In pot holes, But has money for all this rubbish, Got money for fireworks, £15,000 for some snotty nosed wee Herbert from x factor to mime a few songs, Time to get the priorities right,

Surely you must be a lonely sad man/woman to belittle the great work done to promote the town, fill it with people spending money and helping local businesses? The fireworks/lights bring in tens of thousands of pounds and people.

Someone once said every penny is a prisoner..! Eh Santa..?

Well exactly.

Look it's true. I don't live in Paisley and I don't pay my Council Taxes there and perhaps it is none of my business but the club and it's fans love to revel in this bollocks that St Mirren is somehow a Community Club. Yet here we see, yet again, that when the Community is trying to put something in place to revitalise the town, instead of playing it's part Brian Caldwell and presumably Campbell Kennedy have rubbed their hands together and took the opportunity to rip off the public purse to the tune of £60,000 for naming rights that they haven't been able to shift in seven years - no matter how desperately they've tried to get it done.

Div claims that in the grand scale of things it's only £60,000 out of £57m. Div's argument seems to me to be not that it's good value for the local tax payer, rather that they won't miss it if it goes missing so where's the harm in it. That to me isn't moral, it's not community spirited and it seems incredibly short sighted given the damage that stories like this so clearly does to the clubs reputation amongst people living in the town.

St Mirren could have been the good guys, shining in a positive light offering to change the stadium name to help the build for free. Brian Caldwell, or Stewart Gilmour could have faced up to the press to take the plaudits for being so Community Spirited. Even better they could have gone to press saying the Council were willing to pay £60,000 for the naming rights but the club took the decision not to take the money and to instead insist that the local council use the money to fund some other worthwhile project in the town. Instead though you've got St Mirren getting their grubby wee hand back into the public purse grasping money like it's somehow entitled to it.

No wonder so many buses head out of the town on a match day. What exactly does the club do to connect to people in the local community?

Good on the council, who have really stepped up to the mark this year in making the town feel alive again. In the last few months we've had the Beer

Festival, the Monte Carlo rally, the British Youth Cycling Championships, the Spree Festival, the Halloween Weekend, the Fireworks Weekend and the Xmas lights switch on and City of Culture bid launch should hopefully take place next weekend.

It's got to be LOVESTREET .....that name is as famous as the club name

They go hand in hand.....terrible mistake by the ?BOD not to carry our proud name forward....GET IT SORTED