St Mirren Park Floodlights

shull

Presently watching the rerun of the Under 21 Match on Alba from our Stadium.

I must say, our Floodlights are very poor compared to most others.

Not very bright.

The reason why they don't appear "very bright", is because the flood lights are focussed on the pitch itself (enabled by computerised precision no less, IIRC) and there is very little "wasted" light to light up the surroundings i.e.non pitch areas.

Most other club's lights are extremely wasteful, with respect to lighting up non-pitch areas.

GLS described this very fact at some point when the new stadium was being constructed.

I just want to see pitch anyway. (sometimes)

The lights are dimmer than others

Cappielow has a mish mash of lights, including our old ones.

They are superior to our ' state of the art ' efforts.

No they aren't.

Unless of course, you want your floodlights to light up areas other than the pitch.

They are dimmer.

I have noticed this in every Match that I have attended, under the lights.

I dinnae really care what's illuminated elsewhere, although a searchlight for planes would be desirable.

Our Floodlights are second rate.

They are dimmer.

I have noticed this in every Match that I have attended, under the lights.

I dinnae really care what's illuminated elsewhere, although a searchlight for planes would be desirable.

Our Floodlights are second rate.

A bit like you.

Sorry shull I couldn't help myself.

No they aren't.

Unless of course, you want your floodlights to light up areas other than the pitch.

They most probably are if they were set up the way you describe -although I have to say what you've quoted sounds like a wanky pile of pish.

In essence to be energy efficient you need to ensure an even spread of the light thrown by the bulbs onto the park. The low tech way to do that would be to divide the park up as a grid and use a laser pen to ensure the bulbs are directed into that area. You then dim the lights until the darkest part of the pitch gets the lowest lux reading you can get away with. If they aren't on dimmers then you use the lowest wattage bulb to get the same effect. Its sensible but the obvious conclusion to that is that floodlights set up in a less energy efficient manner are going to be brighter.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

They most probably are if they were set up the way you describe -although I have to say what you've quoted sounds like a wanky pile of pish.

In essence to be energy efficient you need to ensure an even spread of the light thrown by the bulbs onto the park. The low tech way to do that would be to divide the park up as a grid and use a laser pen to ensure the bulbs are directed into that area. You then dim the lights until the darkest part of the pitch gets the lowest lux reading you can get away with. If they aren't on dimmers then you use the lowest wattage bulb to get the same effect. Its sensible but the obvious conclusion to that is that floodlights set up in a less energy efficient manner are going to be brighter.

So much effort for so much shite.

Managed to dig this quote of mine up from here.

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/25458-floodlit-photos-wednesday-28th-at-ghr/page-3?hl=floodlights#entry627074

However, coincidentally, as I was reading the latest B&W magazine in the cludgie, there was an article by GLS stating that the new floodlights, being state of the art and despite being much brighter than the ones at the old ground, would emit no upward glare at all, as all the light was focussed onto the pitch.

I always keep my latest Black & White Mag. in the Cludgie. thumbup2.gif

Is that relevant? It appears to detail the switchover panel that powers the lights.

What would be more relevant would be to know if the floodlight system is operated through BMS controls panels like the Phillips or Trend ones where analogue outputs can dim the lighting levels to generate energy efficiency savings, or if it's a simple digital output system then the type of bulbs and their wattage.

I have to say though comparing images of various floodlit matches from Love Street on You Tube or in Google Image Search, to the images on BBC Alba from the Scotland Under 21 match, it would suggest that Shull is indeed right. The shadows on the pitch are not as sharp these days which would suggest lux levels are far lower. There does appear to be a very even spread of the lighting level across the pitch however and it is clear from images showing Donald Park on the bench almost in complete shadow that there is very little light pollution all of which is a good thing when it comes to keeping costs down.

Edited by Stuart Dickson