Goody

I have no sentiment at all clouding my judgement. On watching the game yesterday most of the team are afraid to go in for a good old fashioned tackle. Jim might get a yellow card but for god sake football players need to start getting awards for play acting. This I say to world wide players. In fact I am a big Jamie Vardy and Leicester City fan and have been for 25 years (husband is from Leicester) but he ultimately cost his team maybe 3 points today for going not staying on his feet and acting for a penalty. Players should be applauded for fair play. Goody is mid field and tackles I think that is great and what we are lacking. Morton yesterday got a lot of play in front of goal no tackles went in.

Edited by fan4ever

I am a season ticket holder and maybe just maybe i would sign up to pay the £12 if I thought the club listened to the fans. I think we should hold on to Goody for another year and I think fans around where I sit agree as you listen to the chanting for Goody every time he warms up. This is not because he was our cup winning captain but because he genuinly likes the our club and is and i hope continues to be a great player for us. Midfield needs him of that I am 100% sure. He gives us that edge. He will get another contract somewhere else. I bet it will be dundee United and for that I am sad.

I too am a season ticket holder and a massive fan of the Goodwin we now see with the nut screwed on and at peak fitness.

That he has kept his head down, worked hard and not rocked the boat is testimony to him.

I would not only keep him but have him as the first name on the sheet... No smarties... Not playing in goals.

However... Having already signed up to fan ownership, I commit to supporting the manager to manage as he sees fit... much as it might pain me at times.

Employ a manager... Support him to manage. FFS don't undermine him. It achieves nothing.

I have no sentiment at all clouding my judgement. On watching the game yesterday most of the team are afraid to go in for a good old fashioned tackle. Jim might get a yellow card but for god sake football players need to start getting awards for play acting. This I say to world wide players. In fact I am a big Jamie Vardy and Leicester City fan and have been for 25 years (husband is from Leicester) but he ultimately cost his team maybe 3 points today for going not staying on his feet and acting for a penalty. Players should be applauded for fair play. Goody is mid field and tackles I think that is great and what we are lacking. Morton yesterday got a lot of play in front of goal no tackles went in.

The other matter to be taken into consideration, is that the manager believes that he can get a better player who is more cost effective for the club and offers more on field.

Whether or not that is the case, only remains to be seen when Rae starts preparing for next season.

Edited by FTOF

Goodwin is the type of player we need in this division I said it at the beginning of the season when many posters were wanting him to leave. He would be an asset next season also the digger like Murray was. Letting him go will be a huge mistake.

I think there came a point when fans could see that guys like Hugh Murray and the other Stevie Thomson were reaching the end of their shelf life at our level, no matter how well appreciated their efforts as St Mirren players were. I'm not sensing the same consensus among fans that now is the time to move Goodwin on. I'd say there is a decent argument for saying that if he is not asking for crazy money, we could use his experience, and his form has been good this season... I also don't see anyone calling for a 2 or 3 year extension.

I heard after the Morton game on Saturday that Goody is signing a pre-contract with Dunfermline. Great signing for them if true, definitely think he had a roll to play for us next season.

Good signing for them. He is what they lacked in the game against us.

I dunno, got to be honest, the last few times he's come on I thought he looked well off the pace, bit like Thommo to be honest. Great servant to the club, and an absolute legend, but right now I think I'd rather have Quinn in the team in all honesty.

I'm a Goodwin fan but to be honest we've been doing pretty well without him.

Overall I'd prefer he stayed but that's looking unlikely.

He's not Lionel Messi and I'm sure we'll do ok without him next season, even if he's playing against us.

St Mirren will go on without him and hopefully we continue the latter form of this season into next.

I'm a Goodwin fan but to be honest we've been doing pretty well without him.

Overall I'd prefer he stayed but that's looking unlikely.

He's not Lionel Messi and I'm sure we'll do ok without him next season, even if he's playing against us.

St Mirren will go on without him and hopefully we continue the latter form of this season into next.

Yes you're correct, however he was our cup final captain and legend and I believe we owe him a bit of loyalty for his service and commitment to the club and I would think he is due another year with us.

Yes you're correct, however he was our cup final captain and legend and I believe we owe him a bit of loyalty for his service and commitment to the club and I would think he is due another year with us as a coach.

Yup, seems about right. thumbup2.gif

He is committed and has a certain playing nous. However his legs are betraying him now, the occasional role as a sweeper, if really necessary

Id be gutted if he was lining up against us next season , strange one as on paper you would think Alex Rae would want someone such as Goodwin as the spine of his team , I think we could get another 1 or 2 seasons out of him easy

Too big a character at the club the only reason he's leaving

Rae and Farrell will build their own team

Carswell and Quinn aren't patch on him and i hope they get in better

Yes you're correct, however he was our cup final captain and legend and I believe we owe him a bit of loyalty for his service and commitment to the club and I would think he is due another year with us.

Yes of course he was a Hampden hero, but so was McGowan, Samson, Vanny and MM, where is your loyalty to them. Last season early on Goody was Baddy, and that elbow against the Utd kid should have got him a years ban.

Thanks Goody- See ya next season. Slower and older

I think Goodwin might be reaching the point of entering a season too far, the same way Shuggie did after he left us. Steven Thomson (underrated for us IMO) knew when to go too, retiring before that season.

Quinn has been excellent since his arrival. Really has improved a weak midfield. It's still not 100% but vastly improved.

I thought the formation towards the end of the Morton game looked good, 4-5-1 without ball going to 4-3-3 going forward. In this formation you could make a case for Goodwin sitting behind Quinn and Mallan marshalling defence and midfield, or perhaps alongside Quinn with Mallan more advanced, however if we are going to go 4-4-2 next season then I'm sorry I don't see Jim as being the man to hold down a place in that line-up as he'd sit too deep for me and we'd end up with a midfield diamond by default and teams would just play round us.