So Farewell Then... Ian Murray

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It deeply worried me when he was given the job and started talking aggressively about what he expected from players.

It sounded very much "my way or the hjighway".

IMO that is a classic managerial mistake you expect from a rookie - the belief that you can simply "Alex Ferguson" your way to success.

If I had been one of his players I'd have had a very serious problem being on the receiving end of that.

Of course I may have interpreted him wrong but TBH if he's walked in like a bull in a china shop, as I suspect he has done, then IMO this won't be resolved and he should probably be removed.

TBH I was just glad that we appointed outside of the club and had a new guy in, who appeared to be working relatively well with less resources. I hoped that things couldn't get worse.

I was wrong.

I honestly thought we would be challenging for 3rd/4th place given the players we brought in. However, I'm not wholly surprised at the position we are in as, having witnessed us in the 90's, I voiced my concerns as what could happen to the club, when people were talking along the lines of "relegation will be short term and we'll be back up in a couple of years us" or "never mind we'll get to play different clubs".

I gave Murray the benefit of the doubt for a couple of months, then voiced my concerns in a relatively sane, non-obsessed and non-attention seeking manner.rolleyes.gif

However, after the Alloa game, I thought it was time for him to go.

Again we've painted ourselves into a corner as our board has failed to make the correct appointment.

I have no idea where the club goes from here.

Its a sad state of affairs.

I also thought he was a decent appointment, so can't blame the BoD for that, but facts are facts. We are a club with relatively stable fan base, a new stadium and dedicated training ground, and no significant debt yet sit well below the likes of ICT, Ross County, Kilmarnock and Hamilton in the pecking order. That is a woeful state of affairs, and can't be laid at the door of Ian Murray.

Edited by Drew

You can just see it after the WhattheFac Cup semi defeat at the deid club.... Miller appointed as a "safe pair of hands" till the end of the season with whoever is gullible enough among the senior players as coaches... (Thommo's turn this time)... Followed by a steady slip out of the Championship.

Sound familiar anyone..?

The board is f**ked, and have presided over a calamatious collapse since 17 March 2013.... All to apparently save money!

Yes they have spent less, but by f**k they have lost a helluva a lot more!

The managerial appointment smacks of lack of research and nous. Nothing new in that. It's a small football world in Scotland so there's plenty evidence and contacts near to hand. God only knows what goes on.

I stay down south but can only say having watched that last night and the Alloa game the quality of players is not good enough and there are glaringly obvious gaps positionally. Desperately need to remove the manager. Whether it's Miller or anyone else we then need to get a couple of players in if finances permit in the window and stabilise. Else it's a struggle to avoid the play-offs.

I Stated a few weeks ago I wouldnt attend any more home games, and help pay Murray's wages. He hasnt done anything to deserve them, so I don't feel inclined to help pay them.

I will be back at SMP(feck the other name) when, or if! We replace him with a sensible option. (I.e. Not Miller & Thommo).

That said I can see the board giving him the season, come what may! I Actually believe they would see us relegated again, rather than pony up his compromise agreement dough.

Alex Miller as manager tell him to rip us apart and fix the problem. Write off this season and survive then next year have us ready to be competitive at the top end of the league. Listen if Murray had a plan or a style of play I'd be reluctant to sack him and would let him develop us but look at the matches this season we are being outplayed and out fought by teams who train twice a week. Our lads train every day in a training ground , they get lunch they probably want for nothing, kit laid out etc. Now Dumbarton boys work all day then train between 7-9 twice a week yet they're better drilled, organised and what's saddest of all they have a fight about them we don't have. We have no style of play, we fire long balls and then hang on for a point when we had led matches. Look at it Falkirk , hibs and Morton and livi too all games we led but ended up not winning. I can't continue to watch this it's hopeless it's absolutely boring and we have slid so far since winning the cup. If Stewart Gilmour read this then please Stewart do something? I am sorry I used to say "sack Danny" I'm sorry I said sack Tommy or teale too . This is by far the worst team I've seen since coughlin yet his team was assembled on the cheap and essentially was kids. This team isn't and they have a manger who simply hasn't delivered. dont hang on like we did when Gary was in the job just act. Give it to Alex and get a senior pro to assist or ask David longwell to help as Alex set about rescuing us. The horrible thing is that we now play no football, we don't pass we don't have a style it's just absolutely hopeless!!!

Edited by norrie82

Alex Miller as manager tell him to rip us apart and fix the problem. Write off this season and survive then next year have us ready to be competitive at the top end of the league. Listen if Murray had a plan or a style of play I'd be reluctant to sack him and would let him develop us but look at the matches this season we are being outplayed and out fought by teams who train twice a week. Our lads train every day in a training ground , they get lunch they probably want for nothing, kit laid out etc. Now Dumbarton boys work all day then train between 7-9 twice a week yet they're better drilled, organised and what's saddest of all they have a fight about them we don't have. We have no style of play, we fire long balls and then hang on for a point when we had led matches. Look at it Falkirk , hibs and Morton and livi too all games we led but ended up not winning. I can't continue to watch this it's hopeless it's absolutely boring and we have slid so far since winning the cup. If Stewart Gilmour read this then please Stewart do something? I am sorry I used to say "sack Danny" I'm sorry I said sack Tommy or teale too . This is by far the worst team I've seen since coughlin yet his team was assembled on the cheap and essentially was kids. This team isn't and they have a manger who simply hasn't delivered. dont hang on like we did when Gary was in the job just act. Give it to Alex and get a senior pro to assist or ask David longwell to help as Alex set about rescuing us. The horrible thing is that we now play no football, we don't pass we don't have a style it's just absolutely hopeless!!!

Remember all the posters on here whinging about the 'tippy-tappy' stuff Danny had the team playing???

Where are these football puritans now? Murray is serving up exactly what they were calling for.... Long Ball to f**k All..! Eh Shull?

QOTS game in a fortnight will be his last chance.

If we don't win that he will be out.

I felt going these next three league games would be his last chance to sort things out. The nature of last night's draw was criminal and a defeat on Tuesday may well be the end of him. We have as many wins and only a few more points than we did this time last season and look how well that ended up. A defeat on Tuesday and he should be gone - but probably won't be.

TBH I was just glad that we appointed outside of the club and had a new guy in, who appeared to be working relatively well with less resources. I hoped that things couldn't get worse.

I was wrong.

I honestly thought we would be challenging for 3rd/4th place given the players we brought in. However, I'm not wholly surprised at the position we are in as, having witnessed us in the 90's, I voiced my concerns as what could happen to the club, when people were talking along the lines of "relegation will be short term and we'll be back up in a couple of years us" or "never mind we'll get to play different clubs".

I gave Murray the benefit of the doubt for a couple of months, then voiced my concerns in a relatively sane, non-obsessed and non-attention seeking manner.rolleyes.gif

However, after the Alloa game, I thought it was time for him to go.

Again we've painted ourselves into a corner as our board has failed to make the correct appointment.

I have no idea where the club goes from here.

Pretty much the same from me. It seemed a good appointment at the time but I don't think anyone - including the wind up merchants - could possibly see it going quite as disastrously as this, especially with the squad that had been assembled.

In the board's first 15 years in charge they have made four managerial changes - Hendrie replaced Fitzpatrick, Coughlin replaced Hendrie, MacPherson replaced Coughlin and Lennon replaced Gus. Three out of four of those did well for us and the Coughlin one was mainly due to cash constraints.

The board are now on course to make the same number of managerial changes in the last 8 months or so - Craig, then Teale, then Murray and then someone else. Weird how it's suddenly gone so tits up.

Alex Miller will be the short term cheap choice!

Yup. The board like offering it to assistants. Even when Gus got the boot they offered it to Millen and he turned it down. Miller is at the club and is cheap - perfect!

Whoever gets it needs to be experienced - now is not the time to give it to a rookie, be it Thompson or whoever. With the scenario we're in I'd be tempted to give it to Calderwood until the end of the season seeing as he managed to keep Killie and County in their respective divisions.

Remember all the posters on here whinging about the 'tippy-tappy' stuff Danny had the team playing???

Where are these football puritans now? Murray is serving up exactly what they were calling for.... Long Ball to f**k All..! Eh Shull?

Eh Shull whit lol

Tippy Tappy Shite Fitba was dire.

A Team making 20 slow passes going nowhere, when 3 or 4 quicker passes would have done a better job.

Never wanted the long ball pish all the time.

A mixture of both preferably

But if you want to gloat over fellow fans, be my guest.

I considered Ian Murray to be a good appointment.

I think we've failed to hold onto winning positions in 5 home league fixtures this season.

I also think we've lost goals in the 90min point on 4 league fixtures this season.

The goals we've scored have often had good fortune, and not resulted from well worked football, last night, second against Falkirk, Alloa and Dumbarton.

At one point yesterday I watched Kelly get to the byline and then I realised how rare its been to see Saints get into that sort of position.

While the decline does predate Ian Murray he is out his depth with the job. Regrettably, I was (along with dozens of others) wrong about Murray's ability; to avoid relegation play off Murray needs to be replaced.

I considered Ian Murray to be a good appointment.

I think we've failed to hold onto winning positions in 5 home league fixtures this season.

I also think we've lost goals in the 90min point on 4 league fixtures this season.

I think the league table would look this if games had finished at 80 mins.

Pl GD Pts

Hibernian 15 18 37

Rangers 14 25 33
Falkirk 15 15 28
Morton 16 2 23
Raith Rovers 14 -1 23
Queen of Sth 16 -7 21
St Mirren 14 -4 16
Livingston 15 -6 12
Dumbarton 14 -17 7
Alloa 15 -25 4
A good bit healthier for us :-(
Edited by ScotstounSaint

I Stated a few weeks ago I wouldnt attend any more home games, and help pay Murray's wages. He hasnt done anything to deserve them, so I don't feel inclined to help pay them.

I will be back at SMP(feck the other name) when, or if! We replace him with a sensible option. (I.e. Not Miller & Thommo).

That said I can see the board giving him the season, come what may! I Actually believe they would see us relegated again, rather than pony up his compromise agreement dough.

I thought being a supporter meant you supported the team through the bad times as well as the good ones? Staying away is your prerogative but smacks of what an old firm fan would do. If we only supported the club during good times then SMP would be empty every second week.

It is tough at the moment but the club need us to go along and support plus provide much needed revenue. If we all gave up then we very likely have no professional club in Paisley to support.

Murray chose to give the team time off over the international break when they should have been in doing double shifts on positioning, shape, interlinking play, set pieces etc. Alex Miller is supposed to be an expert in this type of disciplined team building and training. The squad has a chance to work with a Champions League Winner and they go off on a break!

Any idea how much of a break they had during the international week? I expected Alex Miller to use the 2 weeks for some intensive coaching, double sessions if necessary as suggested, but based on last night's performance I couldn't see any evidence of anything having changed.

It really makes you wonder what they do during the week when our pattern of play involves Langfield hoofing the ball long, the forwards being unable to hold it up assuming they get anywhere near it leaving the opposition to dominate possession and attack at us at will. Is it too much to expect some passes and a bit of movement looking for space and to receive a pass? It seems so.

Murray will come good. It's a marathon. Not a sprint.

Folk moan that the team is too young. Alan once said (wrongly) "you win nothing with kids"

The fella will come good if he is givrn the time

I really really really hope you`re taking the piss / drunk / on sedatives or all of them . If not , you should be !!

This is not speed dating, give the man a chance, a full season minimum. I have just read John Burridge autobiography his view of Alex Miller makes good reading. Top 5 this season to build for next year.

Gie Langfield a read of yir Book.

Welcome to the Forum, Ian