So Farewell Then... Ian Murray

This is not speed dating, give the man a chance, a full season minimum. I have just read John Burridge autobiography his view of Alex Miller makes good reading. Top 5 this season to build for next year.

Nah

1 striker at home to a part time team did it for me.

What's Tom Hendrie doing with himself? If my Euromillions ever comes up I am buying the club and appointing oor Tam.

Nah

What's Tom Hendrie doing with himself? If my Euromillions ever comes up I am buying the club and appointing oor Tam.

If I win Euromillions Billy Reid will be getting a phone call, if he don't fancy the job then Gus MacPherson would be returning to Paisley.

Nah

Teaching maths and coaching in the dark level of lower league Junior football I believe. When we sacked him we were around where we are now incidentally.

What we need is a McPherson-Esque appointment. Someone to come in, organise the side and make us hard to beat, then build from there. Gus did that with a hopeless team in the bottom half of the second tier and within three seasons we were an established top flight club.

I don't know who that would be incidentally, Gus ain't coming back unfortunately. I do know it certainly isn't Ian Murray, yon kid couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Murray will come good. It's a marathon. Not a sprint.

Folk moan that the team is too young. Alan once said (wrongly) "you win nothing with kids"

The fella will come good if he is givrn the time

I agree we should give managers time and be prepared to accept the odd bad season. I am guessing you haven't watched any games in a while though, the team honestly can not string two passes together. In fact normally they can't play one, we just punt the ball up to the opposition and see what happens.

This isn't a case of there being promising signs but things not clicking, as often seemed to be the way with Lennon (and even Teale in parts). We are currently a laughing stock.

I agree we should give managers time and be prepared to accept the odd bad season. I am guessing you haven't watched any games in a while though, the team honestly can not string two passes together. In fact normally they can't play one, we just punt the ball up to the opposition and see what happens.

This isn't a case of there being promising signs but things not clicking, as often seemed to be the way with Lennon (and even Teale in parts). We are currently a laughing stock.

Yet Murray doesn't think we're far away from where we want to be. That almost implies they actually work on sitting back, launching it and losing possession in training. Maybe they train in an area littered with land mines, would certainly explain Agnew's lack of control and need to get rid of the ball even before he has it.

I thought being a supporter meant you supported the team through the bad times as well as the good ones? Staying away is your prerogative but smacks of what an old firm fan would do. If we only supported the club during good times then SMP would be empty every second week.

It is tough at the moment but the club need us to go along and support plus provide much needed revenue. If we all gave up then we very likely have no professional club in Paisley to support.

You are right about one thing... Its up to me!

No doubt you are a fully paid up ST holder Ned, and a bus member for all the away games?

Yet Murray doesn't think we're far away from where we want to be. That almost implies they actually work on sitting back, launching it and losing possession in training. Maybe they train in an area littered with land mines, would certainly explain Agnew's lack of control and need to get rid of the ball even before he has it.

Agnew had another nightmare game on Friday night, but somehow managed not to get hooked!

No wonder he is the only player who sticks up for Murray, no f**ker else would let him even clean the boots!

Murray will come good. It's a marathon. Not a sprint.

Folk moan that the team is too young. Alan once said (wrongly) "you win nothing with kids"

The fella will come good if he is givrn the time

I admire your optimism and I too am a patient man.

However I see no signs of growth or improvement. Many of his signings have been terrible. His tactics are terrible and worse than that he persists with them when it is obvious it isn't working. He inspires absolutely no confidnce in me with his after match statements. Yes be positive but do not take us for fools - do not say we played well when we clearly have not. He has limited experience as a manager with no history of success nor no history of developing young players.

If Murray said we have a great U20 team and he was going to go with that to give them experience and he has total faith in them then I would give him some time - a man with a plan. But he signs players like McMullan who are no better than Morgan for example and gives a Celtic player game time at the expense of one of our own players. That does not help St Mirren. Or signing Luke Conlan on loan when Jordan Stewart looks by far a better prospect.

I honestly think Gary Teale would have been a far better option than Murray. Young managers make mistakes. It is whether they learn from them that matters and whether they can keep talking a good game and inspire players and fans. Murray fails on all counts with me.

What seriously worried me at the end of the game was watching back the reactions of Mallan and Baird on Alba.

Mallan had almost a half smile, "aw shucks" look on his face as he half-heartedly applauded the fans. Going by Baird's interview you would have thought that he'd scored a hat-trick in a 4-0 win. Both should have been trooping off seriously pissed off. Murray is close to getting the chop no doubt, but I worry about the players even with a change of manager. There are not enough winners in that team motivated to turn things around. We could easily still go down with Murray gone.

I see there's a rumour about a contract clause that sees Murray without compensation if we're in the bottom 2 at Christmas. I'm guessing this comes from a line he said at the Q&A, along the lines of "I don't expect to keep my job if we're in the bottom 2 at Christmas." He certainly looks like a man seriously under pressure but whether there's something concrete there who knows.... The board may have in mind as well that the change of manager mid-season didn't change our fortunes last year.

had we seen anything from the team this season in terms of dig and a few flourishes of flair, then i would say that Murray had earned the chance to carry on for a few more games. The problem is that nothing looks like gelling, we are so far off the mark that we need to start building NOW for the 16-17 campaign (wherever that might be fought).

We have wasted a year and a half, it's not a slow death yet but it is getting there

I have to say, the football is worse than the Coughlin era. On paper i would say we have a stronger squad in a league full of more part-time clubs than back then, added to we have a budget which should be competing for promotion. Feel slightly sorry for him, but there is nothing worse than a manager making excuse after excuse in his post match interview, instead of blaming himself.

I would not be surprised to see Murray gone by tomorrow, the directors must sense the apathy amongst our support. The buck stops at the managers door, he was given a decent budget and he brought in his players.

It's clearly not working and he clearly has no clue as to how to go about fixing it. Formations tactics style of play and his bizarre post match comments all suggest he's got no idea what he's doing.

If I win Euromillions Billy Reid will be getting a phone call, if he don't fancy the job then Gus MacPherson would be returning to Paisley.

I forgot about Reid. He's a prick like Adams and his football was eyebleedingly boring but given our current situation I'd take shitfesting our way through games if it meant getting away from the danger zone. Plus he was great with the youngsters at Hamilton.

Think he's working in Scandanavia at the moment.

I felt going these next three league games would be his last chance to sort things out. The nature of last night's draw was criminal and a defeat on Tuesday may well be the end of him. We have as many wins and only a few more points than we did this time last season and look how well that ended up. A defeat on Tuesday and he should be gone - but probably won't be.

Pretty much the same from me. It seemed a good appointment at the time but I don't think anyone - including the wind up merchants - could possibly see it going quite as disastrously as this, especially with the squad that had been assembled.

In the board's first 15 years in charge they have made four managerial changes - Hendrie replaced Fitzpatrick, Coughlin replaced Hendrie, MacPherson replaced Coughlin and Lennon replaced Gus. Three out of four of those did well for us and the Coughlin one was mainly due to cash constraints.

The board are now on course to make the same number of managerial changes in the last 8 months or so - Craig, then Teale, then Murray and then someone else. Weird how it's suddenly gone so tits up.

Yup. The board like offering it to assistants. Even when Gus got the boot they offered it to Millen and he turned it down. Miller is at the club and is cheap - perfect!

Whoever gets it needs to be experienced - now is not the time to give it to a rookie, be it Thompson or whoever. With the scenario we're in I'd be tempted to give it to Calderwood until the end of the season seeing as he managed to keep Killie and County in their respective divisions.

You are in a bit of denial, plenty of people saw us exactly where we are now a good few months ago. Once the season started and the results started to disappoint, I was very quick to be on Murray's case as i had been less then impressed with his lack of urgency when faced with a massive chance to be a success. Compare it even to Alex Miller's reaction to the offer to come on board, he cancelled his holiday and locked away the golf clubs even though he had just taken out an expensive membership for the chance to do something of note. Murray went on holiday and took in a coaching course before settling down to work-we NEVER had the time for a manager to do that.

The man simply doesn't want it enough, or didn't until it became clear his jacket was on a shaky nail. He should have really been looking for an edge from day one and maybe he would have found one by now. He ambled into the job when he should been sprinting in the door.

The signings have been poor, as has been other decision making, Langfield played with strapping on his thigh and did not look physically comfortable on Friday-but where is the back-up? Thompson blotted his copy book last season when he took his tomfoolery too far and still got a contract even though he is not what we needed. Add Gow, Agnew and a few others to that list. We need a leaders on the pitch, but even leaders need to be led.

ETA Calderwood? FFS.

Edited by beyond our ken

I had the 'pleasure' of seeing Coughlin's ill fated tenure and even worse was our spell under Jimmy Bone in my opinion but this current spell is the worst I've seen.

I, like many others thought that Murray was a good shout for the job but it's been a disaster with no exceptions.

He needs to go ASAP.

You are in a bit of denial, plenty of people saw us exactly where we are now a good few months ago. Once the season started and the results started to disappoint, I was very quick to be on Murray's case as i had been less then impressed with his lack of urgency when faced with a massive chance to be a success. Compare it even to Alex Miller's reaction to the offer to come on board, he cancelled his holiday and locked away the golf clubs even though he had just taken out an expensive membership for the chance to do something of note. Murray went on holiday and took in a coaching course before settling down to work-we NEVER had the time for a manager to do that.

The man simply doesn't want it enough, or didn't until it became clear his jacket was on a shaky nail. He should have really been looking for an edge from day one and maybe he would have found one by now. He ambled into the job when he should been sprinting in the door.

The signings have been poor, as has been other decision making, Langfield played with strapping on his thigh and did not look physically comfortable on Friday-but where is the back-up? Thompson blotted his copy book last season when he took his tomfoolery too far and still got a contract even though he is not what we needed. Add Gow, Agnew and a few others to that list. We need a leaders on the pitch, but even leaders need to be led.

ETA Calderwood? FFS.

The comment I made that you highlighted was referring to when Murray was appointed rather than once things got going - if anyone who was against the appointment claims they could see things being quite this bad six months down the line they're either a liar or a witch.

I normally wouldn't even consider Calderwood being anywhere near the club but he has managed to keep two teams up when they've found themselves in similar positions to ourselves. Survival, rather than any fanciful notions of making the play-offs, is the priority now.

Edited by Stu

The comment I made that you highlighted was referring to when Murray was appointed rather than once things got going - if anyone who was against the appointment claims they could see things being quite this bad six months down the line they're either a liar or a witch.

I normally wouldn't even consider Calderwood being anywhere near the club but he has managed to keep two teams up when they've found themselves in similar positions to ourselves. Survival, rather than any fanciful notions of making the play-offs, is the priority now.

Strong language-how about just being opinionated, and having experienced this kind of nonsense before?

There was really no need to get personal, that was a very petty response

I told everyone on here before he was even appointed it was a disastrous choice! Go Check the posts.

You are right about one thing... Its up to me!

No doubt you are a fully paid up ST holder Ned, and a bus member for all the away games?

No, not been a ST holder for a number of years and seldom go to away games. I go as many games as I can but not always possible. Been a fan since 1967 and will be one no matter which league we are in. I don't stop going when the team are struggling though as St Mirren is in my blood.