Alan Gow - The Forgotten Man

Who's more to blame, Murray for signing him or chief executive / board for sanctioning a chunk of the player budget on a proven waster.

I don't think the BOD should ever override the manager in the transfer market tbh. That's murky ground if the board/chief executive start making/vetoing signings.

The manager should and I'm sure is given a budget to spend on whatever players he chooses.

He then lives or dies by those signings. The signing of Gow is one of an increasing amount of nails in Murray's managerial coffin.

Guest TPAFKATS

I don't think the BOD should ever override the manager in the transfer market tbh. That's murky ground if the board/chief executive start making/vetoing signings.

The manager should and I'm sure is given a budget to spend on whatever players he chooses.

He then lives or dies by those signings. The signing of Gow is one of an increasing amount of nails in Murray's managerial coffin.

I'd broadly agree but there's always an exception to that rule. This season it's Gow

Shouldn't be forgotten that it was Gary Teale who brought Gow to the club.

It was an understandable signing at the time.

We had just lost our best player at the end of the window. The only players we could sign were those who were free agent.

If you're unattached in February you're unattached for a reason, it really is the bottom end of the market. However the option would have been Gow or no one. When we had money to spend its easy to see why Teale plumped for Gow.

For Murray to give him a new contract in the summer though... Simply unbelievable.

Shouldn't be forgotten that it was Gary Teale who brought Gow to the club.

Teale brought Gow in after losing Kenny McLean on the final afternoon of the transfer window when our only option was to sign players without a club and we were looking for creative midfielders who could also score a few goals. Gow's contract expired at the end of the season. I can understand why Teale took a punt on Gow under those circumstances.

What I can't fathom is why Murray made Gow the first signing of his reign at St Mirren when he was out injured after the McManus challenge in the Motherwell game and with his track record of not having played 30 games in a season with any 1 club since he left Falkirk and when he had the opportunity to have a squad clear out and bring in his own signings.. If he was signed to be an influential senior pro to help bring on promising youngsters he manages to tick all the wrong boxes on how to develop / realise your potential. At least when Thommo was resigned he is a better example of a player who made more of his career.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy