Alan Gow - The Forgotten Man

When Gow has come on in the last few games he has been a stand out because he has the ability to control the ball and pass to a team-mate. That's the level of this league and if he's fit he can be a really good player in it. The problem is him staying fit, but if we don't keep him someone else will take him on. It's a gamble either way.

Was Gow really that good yesterday or was he just less shit than people expected?

Still far too many poor passes from him - perhaps he just looked better because the rest of the team wasn't exactly great either.

Wouldn't have him at the club next season.

Was Gow really that good yesterday or was he just less shit than people expected?

Still far too many poor passes from him - perhaps he just looked better because the rest of the team wasn't exactly great either.

Wouldn't have him at the club next season.

I thought he was good. In a fairly short period of time he played the ball back to Agnew in plenty of time and space to pick out the pass to Cooper in the build up to the second goal, he also had a fine shot struck well which was well saved and in general his play and use of the ball was far more efficient than any of the other St Mirren players on the park. However after his shot at goal he was rubbing away at the back of his thigh suggesting he might have tweaked his hamstring again.

How soon we forget! These discussions were going on about Gow at this time last year as well. Some felt he was worth a year to prove what he could do, and Ian Murray thought similarly. Has he earned it over the season!? Now we're getting the customary glimpses of the player he once was after almost a full season of being injured. If we're looking to push for promotion next season, with a new squad, the question I'd ask is - would Gow get a game for any of the teams pushing for promotion or the play offs this year?

How soon we forget! These discussions were going on about Gow at this time last year as well. Some felt he was worth a year to prove what he could do, and Ian Murray thought similarly. Has he earned it over the season!? Now we're getting the customary glimpses of the player he once was after almost a full season of being injured. If we're looking to push for promotion next season, with a new squad, the question I'd ask is - would Gow get a game for any of the teams pushing for promotion or the play offs this year?

The guy has got skill but he is also a first class passenger . Let him exercise his skill and then at the end of the season tell him that he would be better at a part-time club because he is most certainly a part time player , who would do better to audition as a ghost somewhere, because that is invariably what he is. .

I can't think of any club that can afford to have him on their wage bill .. . well , maybe the Tribute act. .

The guy has got skill but he is also a first class passenger . Let him exercise his skill and then at the end of the season tell him that he would be better at a part-time club because he is most certainly a part time player , who would do better to audition as a ghost somewhere, because that is invariably what he is. .

I can't think of any club that can afford to have him on their wage bill .. . well , maybe the Tribute act. .

Part-time player yet invariably a ghost?

You've lost me.

Always thought Gow is technically pretty good but it's everything else that does along with it. Injuries and lack of effort sometimes.

Personally I wouldn't give him a new contract next season as he has hardly played any football for us so far. Just been there picking up a wage for the last 6 months or so

Definitely could put that wage to good use for someone else

Edited by saintstroller

Surely it is best to try and get something out him in the remainder of his contract and then make the right judgment.

It is likely that he won't be here next season.

But if he stayed fit, played each week till the end of the season and scored a good number of goals and laid on a load ;

Then whatever was decided, surely we would all be a bit happier overall!

If he gets hurt or does not contribute enough - it will be a no brainer!

I'm not saying he should get a new deal, only that I think Alex Rae will give him one.

If he continues to play and plays well. Maybe a pre season to pick up his match fitness would be a completley different player. Him being injured all that time would have annoyed him more than anyone else

Well untill he went to the ATM to lift his wages.

I wouldnt rule out a better fitter Gow next year. It would be tragic if the "old gow" came back to bite us if he signed for the likes of Raith, Falkirk or even Morton.

Still plenty games to earn a new deal.

Edited by LoganSMFC