Saints Celtic 1980 Cup Replay

Been going on memory of this one for 35 years.
Doesn't clear up many of the odd calls as coverage is sketchy but good to see it again ...bloody Doyle

Good to see the Bone goal as 9 minutes in ...get this kids....the queues were so long outside the ground we didn't get in until after a few minutes after that.
No coverage of McGrain's assault on MacDougal which left him with a broken leg although commentary claims just badly bruised.
"A barrage of cans and what have you coming down" after McAdam's sending off...can you imagine the fines these days. I was in main stand with my Dad and a bottle came over our head there too.

Somner MacDougal Stark Weir Copland Munro Bone ...jeez for just one player of that quality these days.

It took me 2 minutes of watching and seeing the divide in the North Bank to realise that that was Love Street. My memories of the early and mid 90's tell how far we had fallen at that point...

Hopefully not for as long this time round...

That type of atmosphere at our new home would be excellent. That said, whilst we have been poor for a while now I wouldn't give back Billy Mehmet's penalty against Celtic in the Cup and the 1-nil win, the 4-0 pummelling of Celtic (that I got to watch on the BBC live commentary at work), our Ozzie floodlight generator's second in the Christmas Eve win over Rangers and a good few other memories of the new place for that matter.

I have to be honest for all I think we should give Murray some time, we do have the players in my opinion, whether they are not performing or not getting the leadership is for another to answer, but the confidence that is lacking at this moment in time is staggering.

We were far from world beaters against Morton in the first half but were comfortably ahead (barring their penalty claim), yet second half we looked an all together different team...game plan out the window, sitting increasingly deeper, absent midfield, forwards given thankless task but struggling to hold the ball up without support and with the ball humped 50 yards in their general direction...

Sadly the team need to perform and the crowds and atmosphere will return. A good run in this league and challenging at the top end always brings more out that struggling at the lower end of the one above. As the memories from the early and mid 90s show though struggling at the wrong end of this league is hard to get excited about...

I remember this game so clearly, first off Doyle got away with the two most blatantly off side goals your ever likely to see. Secondly that bastard McGrain deliberately broke Frank McDougall's leg and got away with it. Third point was Billy McNeil abused McDougall while he was carried off on the stretcher.

This typifies why most of us who support the smaller clubs, despise the old firm because there is no denying that they have and always will benefit with decisions against the wee teams.

I remember this game so clearly, first off Doyle got away with the two most blatantly off side goals your ever likely to see. Secondly that bastard McGrain deliberately broke Frank McDougall's leg and got away with it. Third point was Billy McNeil abused McDougall while he was carried off on the stretcher.

This typifies why most of us who support the smaller clubs, despise the old firm because there is no denying that they have and always will benefit with decisions against the wee teams.

"Yeah, but who do you really support?"

That used to rip my knitting...but like most it becomes a fact of life and it makes those rare victories so much more sweet.

Edited by Bart Simpson

"Yeah, but who do you really support?"

That used to rip my knitting...but like most it becomes a fact of life and it makes those rare victories so much more sweet.

I work in Glasgow and to this day workmates who support both old firm teams still ask me that very question. I wouldn't pish on either of them if they were on fire, is one of my more tame ways of responding.

I work in Glasgow and to this day workmates who support both old firm teams still ask me that very question. I wouldn't pish on either of them if they were on fire, is one of my more tame ways of responding.

The reply is always mood dependent, but i've taken to just laughing these days and not engaging in any more conversation until that nonsense is off the table. Just highlights the narrow-mindedness of some of their collective support and that failure to acknowledge there is life outside, when it is not said in jest but the others on the wind up...

I actually gave up trying to get in and started to head back down love st. Met a mate and he talk me in to try again. Wish I never bothered thumbdown.gif This game was only played because we lost a injury time goal in the 1st game and that something our current players are good at thumbdown.gif

I actually gave up trying to get in and started to head back down love st. Met a mate and he talk me in to try again. Wish I never bothered thumbdown.gif This game was only played because we lost a injury time goal in the 1st game and that something our current players are good at thumbdown.gif

We were outstanding in the first Match and Celtic were very lucky to snatch an equaliser late on through Turdo.

The Game should have been over at half time.

Fabulous St Mirren Team in that era.