If You Were Offered The Job Tomorrow....

Drew

Firstly, I would start by giving players their Sundays back.

Sunday is for family. End of.

Secondly, I'd go with BuddieinEK's suggestions of one-on-one meetings with every player from the top to the bottom.

I'd do the same with every coach and every other member of the staff.

At these one-to-one meetings I'd ask for input from absolutely everyone.

The aim here would simply be to forget about teaching these people how to play football. That should be a given and it's what the coaches are there for.

My job would be to create the environment necessary for success to thrive.

A place where people wanted to come each day.

Thirdly, I'd encourage blame-free constructive analysis of every match to see where players are not supporting each other as best as they could.

Never mind the guy who passed to an opponent on the 6 yard line, what were his colleagues doing to help him in that moment of pressure?

Fourthly, I'd advise them on boots. Coloured boots make a statement and that statement is "Billy Big Baws".

You can get away with that at Real Madrid. In the Scotland, every opponent wants to get stuck into them to teach them a lesson.

Don't give your opponent that ammunition.

Fifthly, I'd impress upon them the idea of loud and constantly supportive and positive encouragement from everyone on the pitch for all of their team mates. Don't leave your team mate exposed at any ground. Get back and fight for him. We win or lose as a team. Nothing else matters.

Most of that is probably obvious and is probably already being done but I'd add one more thing I would NEVER do.

NEVER try to dominate your players. In this day and age it just pisses people off and makes them reluctant to work for you.

Management is about leadership.

Leadership is about the team being the most important thing - not the manager or the leader. Leave ego at the door. The ultimate sanction is being dropped and having to quit football. If that doesn't get a player fired up then shouting at him won't do it.

This and also get back into the dugout we used to be in and repaint the walls of the away dressing room any other colour than black.

It is slightly amusing that posters of a certain age are hung up about the colour of football boots. Next you'll be telling the youth team to 'get a haircut' and 'stop slouching'. They are only boots and i couldnt give a flying f**k if they played yankee doodle dandy, just as long as certain players actually got them dirty every now and then!

I think you'll find a reasonable explanation of the problem with these boots in at least 2 posts above.

It gives your opponents more incentive to get stuck into you.

Deliberately giving your opponents any advantage such as this when margins of error are so tight is simply as brainless as it is unnecessary.

Nobody would be banned from wearing them but I'd like to think that they'd voluntarily give them up when they realise the problem.

Small margins win games at this level.

Amen.

Spoken like someone with management experience rather than an internal promotee!!! Some top tips in there sir.

ps... I said every "employee", not just player... I would want EVERY person at the club (and I include volunteers as employees) to have an input and feel a part of the road to success!

Actually it's a bit of experience and also years of watching and learning from the mistakes of others over the years as they attempt to "manage" members of staff. Bad bosses cause problems because they have a natural tendency to try and dominate and completely control other staff - many of whom are also alpha type personalities. It's a recipe for absolute carnage and can only end when those involved are removed from their jobs.

Drew, this dictatorship on boots with one or three stripes. What if we sign a 30 goal a season striker and he only has a pair of 4 stripe black boots, does he get a game ? ;-) will you as manager fork out on a pair of Adidas, Nike or Pumas?

As for banning fans from Lanarkshire, can we restrict this ban to North Lanarkshire? If not I want a refund my season ticket. Poz, sorry that keeps you away but I don't imagine you'll be too upset about this ban ;-)

Ps. If I become manager the first thing I'll do is ask for a pay rise.

Edited by Big Jake

Give the players a jolt , a reality , check a sense of perspective.

Take them on a pre xmas visit to Robin House then get them to contribute a sum of money for Robin house for every win between now and the end of the season.

If that doesn't want to make players run through walls, I'd give up.

Drew, this dictatorship on boots with one or three stripes. What if we sign a 30 goal a season striker and he only has a pair of 4 stripe black boots, does he get a game ? ;-) will you as manager fork out on a pair of Adidas, Nike or Pumas?

As for banning fans from Lanarkshire, can we restrict this ban to North Lanarkshire? If not I want a refund my season ticket. Poz, sorry that keeps you away but I don't imagine you'll be too upset about this ban ;-)

Ps. If I become manager the first thing I'll do is ask for a pay rise.

If the boots are genuine Adidas 4 Stripe from Woolies circa 1978, that would be wholly appropriate. In fact, if sufficient numbers of pairs could be sourced, I would make wearing of them compulsory. That would bring a few of the Billy Big Baws players down to earth!

Edited by Drew

First up I would appoint Mark E Smith as my Coach ( Get EM f**king telt Mark)

Bring back the birch for anybody not playing for the jersey.

Ban for life anybody caught diving ( pet hate is cheating )

Get fancy dan coloured boots to f**k.

Play a high energy pressing game....get the back four 30 foot further up the park..... and get the ball played on the deck....

i close ralston players are pampered tooooo much these days

get them running up the braes like the good old days ,,

and training on crap pitches ,so ball control was req too improve there skill level

god knows what the coaches and players do all week,

can we learn to score when we get a corner ,,,

I'm predictably enough referring to the manager's job, here.

Aside from declining the offer, what are the first five things you would do if you were in the hot seat? Just a bit of fun, mind....

Here's my thoughts, for what they are worth

- play a straightforward 4-4-2 when we are at home. No more fannying around and tinkering about. Back to basics;

- no coloured boots. They irritate me intensely, and I would lay down a marker by instructing the players to wear black footwear only (a white stripe or three is acceptable);

- rigorous fitness tests on a daily basis. Set a high bar, and if a player fell below it, he wouldn't make it into the match day squad. Fail it twice, and face a fine. Our players aren't fit enough, even the young lads who should be able to run all day are blowing out their arses after an hour;

- instruct the players to shoot on sight. Got a sniff? Hit the f**king thing!;

- finally, I would accept the inevitable call to manage Real Madrid.

Bring back Murray!!!!!!!!

I wasnt aware that the players were in on Sundays . On a similar vein, i know of an English championship side who are bringing their players in at 3.00 on Christmas day for two hours training !

Nothing like fostering a family atmosphere at your club !!

it was one of the first things he did when he arrived. he said that if players didnt like it they should play elsewhere.

imo this was needlessly aggressive.

it was one of the first things he did when he arrived. he said that if players didnt like it they should play elsewhere.

imo this was needlessly aggressive.

Indeed... experience will teach him that change of that magnitude is better achieved when you first spell out the benefits and then get folks to buy into and support it as a team philosophy.

I felt at the time it was his way of announcing his arrival to a dressing room where the main protagonists were allegedly players with more experience than him. Totally understandable move but totally the wrong one.

A better example is Alex Neal at Norwich who within a very short time had senior players singing his praises because they could cleary see the benefits of what he was doing.

I wasnt aware that the players were in on Sundays . On a similar vein, i know of an English championship side who are bringing their players in at 3.00 on Christmas day for two hours training !

Nothing like fostering a family atmosphere at your club !!

Given there's a full fixture list on Boxing Day on both sides of the border there's probably quite a few clubs doing likewise. I'd imagine some of those down south with significant journeys to their away fixture may travel on Christmas Day and stay overnight. No doubt plenty of clubs will be training on New Year's Day too.

Also, remember we were involved in the last game in this country to be played on Christmas Day in 1976. Imagine the fuss if something similar was suggested nowadays!

Given there's a full fixture list on Boxing Day on both sides of the border there's probably quite a few clubs doing likewise. I'd imagine some of those down south with significant journeys to their away fixture may travel on Christmas Day and stay overnight. No doubt plenty of clubs will be training on New Year's Day too.

Also, remember we were involved in the last game in this country to be played on Christmas Day in 1976. Imagine the fuss if something similar was suggested nowadays!

I'd be right up for that, programme could even have a centre spread of Santa sitting in a rocking chair with the caption "you do know I'm not real, but football is".

Our home form is so bad I would change the match day preparation.

Instead of the players sauntering in to the stadium at various times by their own transport, I would get them to meet at Ralston to start the match briefing and get changed there. The squad would then travel by coach to the stadium to create some sort of arrival event in front of the main stand at say 2.15. Bit of external PA kit to do some interviews, sign autographs for the kids, give out a few freebies, etc. Seen it done at Man City (I know we are not them) where the whole thing generates a buzz and creates something out of nothing.

Hopefully would result in team arriving ready for the game in hand as well as giving a focal point for fans, especially kids, to turn up earlier. Same could be done in reverse at 5pm on way back if successful.

Cost a few hundred quid per match but hopefully improve results and create some decent local/community PR. Away form is generally better so there may be something in it.

Just a thought, we need to do something. Worth a try?

1. Sign up Mallan like.youngsters on long term contracts

2. Two days a week off. (Wed & Sunday)

3. Get the players to visit schools and boys clubs to promote the team and pass on some life advice to kids. (Just like Pc shinybuttons) hopefully free tickets and those big names will bring more fans down.

4. Play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 dep on who we play (except Rangers or Hibs)

5. Get the black off the away walls. Replace with pics of horrific injuries. (Djibril Cisse, Petr Cech, Larsson and other assorted leg breaks.

Edited by LoganSMFC

1. Sign up Mallan like.youngsters on long term contracts

2. Two days a week off. (Wed & Sunday)

3. Get the players to visit schools and boys clubs to promote the team and pass on some life advice to kids. (Just like Pc shinybuttons) hopefully free tickets and those big names will bring more fans down.

4. Play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 dep on who we play (except Rangers or Hibs)

5. Get the black off the away walls. Replace with pics of horrific injuries. (Djibril Cisse, Petr Cech, Larsson and other assorted leg breaks.

Point one is the best point i have read on here. The likes of McLean and McGinn should have been signed up long term deals, they would probably still have left but at least we would have been able to get a better price.

Coloured boots - Messi wears Neon orange ones and sometimes a pair with five different colours - i knew he was going wrong somewhere

Change home dugout back to where we were

One on one consultations with each squad member

Regular team bonding leisure activities to boost team morale

Train/play a bounce match at least once during the week at St Mirren Park, not Ralston.

Banning a lone striker formation and changing to a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2

Ball on the deck, shoot on sight and hard in the tackle. 3 key elements we do not seem to have.

Edited by kevo_smfc