Saints V Queens 6/2/16

bluto

Queens fans on Pie and Bovril seem to think they should have won yesterday.

They certainly did not deserve to lose - we were fortunate to get 3 points.

In fact although the team is more organised than in Murray times I would question if we have won any game convincingly under Alex.

My son and I entertained ourselves yesterday (in the absence of what was on offer on the park) by trying to count the number of times St Mirren strung 3 consecutive passes together.

We did not run out of the fingers in one hand to achieve this!

In fact although the team is more organised than in Murray times I would question if we have won any game convincingly under Alex.

My son and I entertained ourselves yesterday (in the absence of what was on offer on the park) by trying to count the number of times St Mirren strung 3 consecutive passes together.

Personally, I will take 3 points over 3 passes any time.

I think St.Mirren deserved there win yesterday and yes it was not a great game yes we only scored one goal BUT I still enjoyed the result!

Ian Murray's teams were far mire organised were they?? how many clean sheets did St.Mirren have during his time as manager?

All I can say Ian Murray had us 1 point away from the relegation zone having not won at home only had 2 games in which we did not concede a goal!

Alex Rae has us 4 points off a playoff place we have won at home taken 9 league points out of 12 on offer!

Alex Rae has us more organised more direct and it's still early days I hope the football gets better but again for the second week in a row we have won!

And under Rae Kelly Baird and Mallan are producing performances!

Unlike Murray Alex Rae looks as if he's got a plan B!

So yes we are better organised under Rae! can people no just enjoy results the football will get better as Confidence grows!

History will show that we won that game. That is all that matters. Ever.

Two weeks ago we were dicing with relegation.

Now the playoffs are absolutely a realistic possibility again.

Nothing else matters whatsoever.

You are forgetting that the plays have had two thirds of a season of defeat which has killed confidence.

Wins will see that confidence return.

Until then I couldnt give a damn how we play as long as we win.

Edited by oaksoft

I think St.Mirren deserved there win yesterday and yes it was not a great game yes we only scored one goal BUT I still enjoyed the result!

Ian Murray's teams were far mire organised were they?? how many clean sheets did St.Mirren have during his time as manager?

All I can say Ian Murray had us 1 point away from the relegation zone having not won at home only had 2 games in which we did not concede a goal!

Alex Rae has us 4 points off a playoff place we have won at home taken 9 league points out of 12 on offer!

Alex Rae has us more organised more direct and it's still early days I hope the football gets better but again for the second week in a row we have won!

And under Rae Kelly Baird and Mallan are producing performances!

Unlike Murray Alex Rae looks as if he's got a plan B!

So yes we are better organised under Rae! can people no just enjoy results the football will get better as Confidence grows!

To be fair it looks as if Murray did not have a plan A.

But seriously that was a well deserved three points. We've certainly played better. We played good football under Craig and Teale and at least initially under Murray. But playing pretty patterns is a means to an end. It clearly stopped working for us. You didn't hear Dumbarton or Raith complaining that they were winning ugly.

Edited by insaintee

If we win at Dumfries next Saturday playing in a similar fashion to yesterday, then I'll be delighted. We all wanted the team to be competative and able to compete in the championship, AR has got the very reaction we all wanted.

There's very little between the teams below the top 3, and if we continue to be dogged and full of fighting spirit then 4 th place is definitely achievable. In Stevie Mallan we have the kind of quality that other teams around us don't have. He's a match winner and you almost expect him to score with every free kick we get in and around the box.

Rocco Quinn, Clarkson and Irvine also give us that bit more experience we desperately required. So all in all things are looking brighter as AR has us organised and having a much better shape.

Working progress in its early stage, onwards and upwards.

I would be as delighted as anyone on here if St Mirren's progress in terms of results continues.

However, we should not bury our heads in the sand based on recent performances as against results.

For example, yesterday's stats indicate that we had 48% possession as against QoS's 52%; we had a total of 6 shots as against 8 for QoS; we had 2 on target (including Mallan's brilliant free kick) as against 4 for QoS meaning we had 1 other shot on target against 2nd tier opposition on our own turf. We did edge the stats for corners and fouls.

And yes I know that stats don't tell you the full story but we are a good bit away from being the poor man's Leicester City.

LC, from 34% possession, had 14 shots on target as against 22 from MC; but they had 7 on target as against 4 by MC!

There is a difference between winning ugly and winning as a result of good fortune.

However like many on here I genuinely hope that the Saints' results will hopefully build confidence and ultimately produce better performances than we are witnessing at present.

I think we are looking a bit more competitive in midfield and harder to beat. The first remit Rae had is to get us out of trouble and I'm happy enough if we win some more games 1-0 over the next few weeks even if we don't play entertaining football while winning. It would be nice at some point this season to leave St Mirren Park feeling happy that I've been entertained by the home team rather than averaging a shot on target per half whether Murray or Rae is the manager.

I'm not convinced Naismith coming back from injury will add much to us defensively. I thought his first season was good and last year he was really poor defensively but a threat going forward. A fit Jim Goodwin should add to our midfield options.

Aside from Mallan's free kicks we didn't create many clear chances from open play in 90 minutes - other than that we had lots of solid if unspectacular displays yesterday and that at least is a start.

I would be as delighted as anyone on here if St Mirren's progress in terms of results continues.

However, we should not bury our heads in the sand based on recent performances as against results.

For example, yesterday's stats indicate that we had 48% possession as against QoS's 52%; we had a total of 6 shots as against 8 for QoS; we had 2 on target (including Mallan's brilliant free kick) as against 4 for QoS meaning we had 1 other shot on target against 2nd tier opposition on our own turf. We did edge the stats for corners and fouls.

And yes I know that stats don't tell you the full story but we are a good bit away from being the poor man's Leicester City.

LC, from 34% possession, had 14 shots on target as against 22 from MC; but they had 7 on target as against 4 by MC!

There is a difference between winning ugly and winning as a result of good fortune.

However like many on here I genuinely hope that the Saints' results will hopefully build confidence and ultimately produce better performances than we are witnessing at present.

I enjoyed my pie on Saturday and didn't choke on it. That's progress.

Can I just say ,there was a stat about the Leicester v Man City near the end of the first half Man City passes 207 Leicester 49 final score 1-3

In the position we have found ourselves in winning is everything no matter how it is done. After a period of picking up points you will start to see a team playing with more confidence which in turn will play better football.

First things are first lets get a safe distance from the playoff relegation zone and then see what happens.

I was able to watch the game for the first time on Saints tv, good coverage. First thing I noticed however, was the sparsity of the crowd and the stand behind the goal closed off to spectators. It was genuinely like watching a reserve game from the old days. Theres no doubt that a combination of terrible home form and overpriced tickets has had a big effect on attendances. OK thats two home wins on the bounce, albeit unconvincing ones, but its a start. Time to start on the ticket prices, long overdue.

As for the match, it was a good goal we scored but my heart was in my mouth every time Queens attacked and for once I though our goalie had a good match, but we desperately need a centre half as that lad Baird isnt good enough. Hope big Goodwin gets back soon !

Of course one swallow doesnt make a summer but perhaps its not outwith the realms of possibility to press for that 4th spot. At least relegation seems a lot further off now.

Can I just say ,there was a stat about the Leicester v Man City near the end of the first half Man City passes 207 Leicester 49 final score 1-3

It would appear that you are not disagreeing with me in that Leicester had a total of 14 shots at goal as against 22 from Manchester City, but they had 7 on target as against 4 by MC! By contrast we had ONE shot on target from open play at home in the whole game and we were not playing Man City.

My gripe is not about the amount of possession we have during a game but what we do with the ball when we have it.

Edited by northstbuddie

I was able to watch the game for the first time on Saints tv, good coverage. First thing I noticed however, was the sparsity of the crowd and the stand behind the goal closed off to spectators. It was genuinely like watching a reserve game from the old days. Theres no doubt that a combination of terrible home form and overpriced tickets has had a big effect on attendances. OK thats two home wins on the bounce, albeit unconvincing ones, but its a start. Time to start on the ticket prices, long overdue.

As for the match, it was a good goal we scored but my heart was in my mouth every time Queens attacked and for once I though our goalie had a good match, but we desperately need a centre half as that lad Baird isnt good enough. Hope big Goodwin gets back soon !

Of course one swallow doesnt make a summer but perhaps its not outwith the realms of possibility to press for that 4th spot. At least relegation seems a lot further off now.

Try going to games.

It would appear that you are not disagreeing with me in that Leicester had a total of 14 shots at goal as against 22 from Manchester City, but they had 7 on target as against 4 by MC! By contrast we had ONE shot on target from open play at home in the whole game and we were not playing Man City.

My gripe is not about the amount of possession we have during a game but what we do with the ball when we have it.

The only thing we need to do is put the ball in the net more than the opposition.

Gonnae stop writing essays of negativity.

Enjoy the f**king moment.

COYS

The only thing we need to do is put the ball in the net more than the opposition.

Gonnae stop writing essays of negativity.

Enjoy the f**king moment.

COYS

As you would say yourself Shull - "naw"

You are the one that blows hot and cold.

If we continue to have one shot on target from open play we are unlikely "to put the ball in the net" often enough to win games.

At least there were fewer "jessie" boots on display on Saturday - so thanks for that!

Already made it quite clear I am not paying £20 to watch second division football. Liiks like plenty others are catching on now as the attendance was paltry.

So, you will only come back when the club are back in the SPL? If we all adopted that stance then there would be no club to support. Part of being a supporter is to support the club through the bad as well as the good times (and we have fewer good than bad). If we were top of the league would you still adopt your 'I am not watching second division football' stance? Each to their own I guess.

So, you will only come back when the club are back in the SPL? If we all adopted that stance then there would be no club to support. Part of being a supporter is to support the club through the bad as well as the good times (and we have fewer good than bad). If we were top of the league would you still adopt your 'I am not watching second division football' stance? Each to their own I guess.

Sorry, you have picked that up wrongly. I have been making the point that football is far too expensive and that £20 to watch a match in this country - whether its second division or even premiership - is outrageous.

The only way clubs will get the message is by fans voting with their feet, that what I have been doing all season.

Would you not agree that - even forgetting how dreadful Saints have been this season - they had a nerve charging the same as last term despite being relegated ?

I could quite easily afford to pay the entry fee but will not be taken for a mug. All we hear on phone -ins etc are fans and pundits saying "Yes it far too expensive to get into football these days etc etc", but no-one does anything about it. Well this is the Frogs stance and I wont budge ( or even hop) from it.

Just as a matter of interest, do you personally think £20 is value for second tier football ?

Sorry, you have picked that up wrongly. I have been making the point that football is far too expensive and that £20 to watch a match in this country - whether its second division or even premiership - is outrageous.

The only way clubs will get the message is by fans voting with their feet, that what I have been doing all season.

Would you not agree that - even forgetting how dreadful Saints have been this season - they had a nerve charging the same as last term despite being relegated ?

I could quite easily afford to pay the entry fee but will not be taken for a mug. All we hear on phone -ins etc are fans and pundits saying "Yes it far too expensive to get into football these days etc etc", but no-one does anything about it. Well this is the Frogs stance and I wont budge ( or even hop) from it.

Just as a matter of interest, do you personally think £20 is value for second tier football ?

From a personal point of view when going to watch Saints at away games ( season ticket holder ) the entry fee does not come into it. That might change when unemployed or if I become a student. For me its about going to support my team. A few of the boys at my work went along to see a Dutch league game paying 45 Euros for the privilege.

Motherwell if I remember correctly reduced their gate price for a whole season. Did their gates go up to cover the loss. Nope

Tell you what though I have a sneaky feeling if we were top of the league unbeaten you would be at every game.