Saints V Queens 6/2/16

bluto

Today I noticed a team hungry to do well. They fought for everything and I see Alex is organising us better. It's not great football but we are slowly regaining our confidence and let's be honest the four new boys are a huge improvement on what we had. Irvine,Clarkson and quinn all calm on the ball and I feel Cooper will do a job. So much better with quinn and mallan together and Clarkson has great awareness.

We were poor first 15 mins an could easily have been 2 down.

After that they never troubled us in 1st half.

Kelly an Baird were excellent together today,

Concerned about Irvine in 1st half, could hardly stay on his feet.

Agree with all that has been said re others though think Gallagher also deserves mention. Like Quinn he put in a

power of work chasing and harrying.

Don't know about this lumping the ball up the park, optimistically we're playing the ball into space for runners.Better

than playing tippy tappy stuff at back and it stops me worrying.

One small gripe, we again started backing off as game reached last 10mins.

So 2 wins in row, this one with none conceded

When Goodwin fit and if gets to play, who drops out? may make us more solid but would that make us slower and more defensive?

When Naismith fit and gets to play would it be a simple swap for Watson. Personally like Watson, could we accommodate both in team?

Today I noticed a team hungry to do well. They fought for everything and I see Alex is organising us better. It's not great football but we are slowly regaining our confidence and let's be honest the four new boys are a huge improvement on what we had. Irvine,Clarkson and quinn all calm on the ball and I feel Cooper will do a job. So much better with quinn and mallan together and Clarkson has great awareness.

I agree, did nothing wrong today.

When Goodwin fit and if gets to play, who drops out? may make us more solid but would that make us slower and more defensive?

When Naismith fit and gets to play would it be a simple swap for Watson. Personally like Watson, could we accommodate both in team?

Goodwin, Naismith and Carswell all to come back into the squad soon which will increase competition for places and won't be a bad thing as they all have Premiership experience.

Of the team yesterday the one person who still makes me nervous is Webster and I wasn't disappointed to see him go off. Kelly did well in his place but he and Baird together doesn't fill me with confidence in the long term. Watson could move inside when Naismith is fit and, I suppose, Goodwin could drop back in there too?

It would be good to see the strikers getting among the goals though.

A major issue remains the lack of supply to the strikers. Rae should be getting the likes of Gallagher, Cooper and Howieson to practice crossing.

A player doesn't need to reach the byline to deliver a cross. Often, crosses from deeper positions can be more effective, as the defence aren't always in position to deal with them. Lappin and Carey deployed this tactic to good effect.

Surely a player can learn to cross the ball if it isn't already one of his main attributes?

Great win for us yesterday, which made last nights pub crawl in Paisley more enjoyable!!

It wasn't pretty but Alex Rae is delivering what really matters, 3 points. If we manage to win next week in Dumfries we really can make a push for 4th place, which is quite incredible if you think of the position we were in just a number of weeks ago.

Great 3 points and a clean sheet thrown in. Might not have been pretty but another confidence boosting win.

Well done Saints.

First home clean sheet of the season and a well fought performance from the saints, good physical performance from the players. I read on another thread that one "saints fan" reckons that if qots had Stevie Mallan playing for them then they would have won and not us ! now that is a seriously mental statement if ever i read one.

I am truly heartened by that result yesterday.

And to repeat previous comments WTF is the phenomenon that is Crawford Allan all about - hand ball from their guy and ball goes off to the side a few seconds later he ducks and looks through the legs of our defenders and gives a foul to them when nobody seemed to have touched anyone else. Did i miss something ?

I loved Rocco's anquish and frustration when the mental decisions of Allan went against him - particularly a good tackle in front of W3 in the West Bank and the ref awarded a foul against Quinn. Since Goody got injured there has been no sign of passion in the squad. Nice to see it has returned smile.png

Edited by Sonny

A major issue remains the lack of supply to the strikers. Rae should be getting the likes of Gallagher, Cooper and Howieson to practice crossing.

A player doesn't need to reach the byline to deliver a cross. Often, crosses from deeper positions can be more effective, as the defence aren't always in position to deal with them. Lappin and Carey deployed this tactic to good effect.

Surely a player can learn to cross the ball if it isn't already one of his main attributes?

Absolutely Drew.

First home clean sheet of the season and a well fought performance from the saints, good physical performance from the players. I read on another thread that one "saints fan" reckons that if qots had Stevie Mallan playing for them then they would have won and not us ! now that is a seriously mental statement if ever i read one.

I am truly heartened by that result yesterday.

And to repeat previous comments WTF is the phenomenon that is Crawford Allan all about - hand ball from their guy and ball goes off to the side a few seconds later he ducks and looks through the legs of our defenders and gives a foul to them when nobody seemed to have touched anyone else. Did i miss something ?

To be fair that was Lex so pretty tame by his standardsjerry.gif