Mallan Away In January?

Why not.

We sold our only decent player in January this year. I said at the time that the decision would relegate us. A similar scenario this season wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Perhaps there is a "gentlemens' agreement in place".

As with all players in Scotland, he's for sale for the right price.

If someone pays that in January he will be away.

Comparing McGinn and McLean not really relevant. McGinn left at the end of his contract and McLean left shortly after the end of his first senior deal.

Edited by TopCat

If Mallan moves on in January it would be a bad move for the club and himself, purely because the boys not ready for any move, forby his free kicks which are excellent and have saved us a few times this season, his overall contribution is below par, which says a lot when he is deemed by some St.Mirren fans to be our best player, that and at the moment any money got in a move from us is likely to see us getting between £50,000 - £75,000.

If Mallan moves on in January it would be a bad move for the club and himself, purely because the boys not ready for any move, forby his free kicks which are excellent and have saved us a few times this season, his overall contribution is below par, which says a lot when he is deemed by some St.Mirren fans to be our best player, that and at the moment any money got in a move from us is likely to see us getting between £50,000 - £75,000.

His overall contribution is below par? What exactly are you expecting from a midfielder in his first full season in senior football?

It's not December yet and he already has 5 goals. How many goals would be above par for a teenage midfielder at this stage of a season?

The readiness of some of our fans to stick the boot in to our younger players will never cease to amaze me.

Edited by TopCat

I know it's a short career and all that but it would be refreshing to see a player actually want to stay with St Mirren. It seems that as soon as a development player makes the first team he is all about getting a move. I'm sure the cash delights the BoD but it just continues the downward spiral of the quality of football now on offer in Paisley. It also creates a disconnect between the fan base and the team.

Goals are not everything although they are important, anyway some of the goals he has scored have been against teams in lower leagues combine that with poor distribution, his inability to control the ball at times and how easy he is put off the ball by an opposing player. Yes I know its his first season that is why I said at the moment it would be a bad move for him and the club at the moment, who knows if he what would happen if he moves in January but in my opinion he's not ready yet.

Mallan is wasted in this team, he's constantly chasing lost causes or watching the ball firing over his head in another long ball to a striker.

Mallan is a fantastic prospect, and has added goals to his game earlier than Kenny did. (Not saying he's better than Kenny).

In the right team Mallan would be a star

Hope it is not just Mallan away in January - there are not too many current players worth keeping. (The manager should go too)

Yeah Mallan is a great prospect, but he still has plenty room for improvement; coming back to support the defence especially. He is no where near as good as either McGinn or MacLean when they went.

No Doubt though the BOD will accept any 6 figure sum of money for any player. Not sure if that is possible with very many of them though.

Hope it is not just Mallan away in January - there are not too many current players worth keeping. (The manager should go too)

Yeah Mallan is a great prospect, but he still has plenty room for improvement; coming back to support the defence especially. He is no where near as good as either McGinn or MacLean when they went.

No Doubt though the BOD will accept any 6 figure sum of money for any player. Not sure if that is possible with very many of them though.

McGinn was rank last season and Kenny played more poor than good games for us. Both were affected by poor players around them as Mallen is suffering. Any talented young player will be affected by poor results and team performances. Look at McGinn and McLean now in better football teams. If we need to sell Mallan to balance the books then our board will have to do that. We are a selling club.

I know it's a short career and all that but it would be refreshing to see a player actually want to stay with St Mirren. It seems that as soon as a development player makes the first team he is all about getting a move. I'm sure the cash delights the BoD but it just continues the downward spiral of the quality of football now on offer in Paisley. It also creates a disconnect between the fan base and the team.

Ask yourself this, would you want to stay at St Mirren right now if you were a talented youngster?

Mallan is being stifled by the plethora of sub par players around him, much like McGinn and to a lesser extent, Kenny were last season.

Guys like Kenny and John flourished in their earlier seasons as we were relatively strong as did Steven McGinn. Unfortunately playing in a midfield with Scott Agnew and Stuart Carswell is ultimately hindering Stevie more than its helping. Yet he's still been our best player this season by an absolute mile.

Edited by djchapsticks

Mallan is not yet ready to move in January, he's far too inexperienced. If this utter dross continues and Murray remains at the helm of the mayhem then a move at the end of the season may be on the cards.

The system that Murray attempts to deploy totally wastes this young talent, he's isolated in midfield as no-one is there to support.....Our remaining midfielders like to pair up with our central defenders in the "Blockade" formation and isolate Mallan and our strikers, no wonder there's not enough chances created!

If you were Mallan would you not want to move? He's a fantastic prospect but he's not going to develop on a sinking ship. Look at the difference in McGinn this season since moving to a better team, he's back to where he was at his peak with us a couple of years ago and captaining the nation U21 side.

McGinn was rank last season and Kenny played more poor than good games for us. Both were affected by poor players around them as Mallen is suffering. Any talented young player will be affected by poor results and team performances. Look at McGinn and McLean now in better football teams. If we need to sell Mallan to balance the books then our board will have to do that. We are a selling club.

I think it showed after he left, how important Kenny was for us.

If you're suggesting otherwise, then I would strongly disagree.

This^^^^ irrespective of its depressing content

McLean was excellent playing under Teale as he moved him further forward

We looked we might escape but when he was sold that was that

If there are any bids tabled and the price meets the BoD valuation he will be sold to ensure we stay in the black.

Yeah - just like last year and look how great it is to be in the black and in the shi*t struggling a year later with the same likely outcomes.

Great ambition, ok so the team are cr*ap and the team and manager are worse but at least we can break even financially!!

Oh the joys of some fan's desires. I think most of us want a decent team and a manager who can manage and then the crowds, the revenue from good cup runs etc will take care of the financial situation. We might even get to sell a player or 2 not because we have to survive, but because it makes sense and in order to buy the next best prospect which we can develop, allow to improve our team and then sell on for a tidy profit.

I'd imagine that the sale was forced due to a release clause in Mclean's most recent contract.

That was Aberdeen's first transfer fee in seven years which demonstrates how larger clubs than ourselves have struggled financially in Scotland.

If we could sell a Mclean or a McGinn every season the BoD would do so just to balance the books.

It wasn't the sale i was pointing at

It was that Ned said McLean played more poor games than good in which he was right

Until someone used him in a different position and he started to excell

Derek Mcinnes was in the petrol station at Glasgow Airport today!

The guy serving him obviously new him because they were quite Friendly and chatty with him...

Also Derek asked if he still watched St.Mirren! He said every week unfortunately! The boy serving asked how Kenny McClean was settling in and told McKinnes he couldn't believe he got him that cheap... Derek replied he couldn't believe it either but it's been a great signing they said goodbye and left!

I would have asked him... A/ if Shankland is anygood? And B if he's taking him back in January?

As for Mallan if the bids right then he will be off! If not he will remain at St.Mirren till his contract nears an end or is finished and leaves for very little or nothing!

Edited by leolovesstmfc