Atmosphere At Home For Season 2016/17

Kemp

Myself and a few other guys drafted up some proposals a while back regarding this, but it never really took off. The “singing section” trial worked to an extent, but we didn't have the numbers required to take it forward.

The overall consensus was that you can’t manufacture an atmosphere – it must happen organically. Many supporters don’t want to be labelled as part of a singing section. (It does sound a bit shite tbf)

That being said, the suggestion of an unallocated section (not labelled as a singing section) is not the worst idea in the world.

Our latest idea was similar - something along the lines of "Away Support Home". Encouraging more vociferous/vocal fans to stand together at home games, like we do away from home. Would be happy to take the proposals we had to the fans council/club – if others are genuinely keen on the idea.

It's not rocket science and the OP hit the nail on the head... reserved seating kills singing at home games.

Despite the shite on offer our fans did their best to lift the team at Falkirk recently. It is the same at most away games.

Our crowd is seated home and away... so seats alone cannot be the issue... it HAS to be with the seating arrangements.

But why was the atmosphere better at Love Street... we didn't have this problem at our old home ground.

No... but when the seats were first put in, people chose season ticket seats for the area they used to stand in... so the majority of chanters were still in one area.

Unreserved seating...

Will help the atmosphere and allow us to expand the fanbase.

It's only common sense!

It's not rocket science and the OP hit the nail on the head... reserved seating kills singing at home games.

Despite the shite on offer our fans did their best to lift the team at Falkirk recently. It is the same at most away games.

Our crowd is seated home and away... so seats alone cannot be the issue... it HAS to be with the seating arrangements.

But why was the atmosphere better at Love Street... we didn't have this problem at our old home ground.

No... but when the seats were first put in, people chose season ticket seats for the area they used to stand in... so the majority of chanters were still in one area.

Unreserved seating...

Will help the atmosphere and allow us to expand the fanbase.

It's only common sense!

Yet it fell on it's arse when an area was allocated for the "chanters" to congregate in and chant away.

Edited by WeeBud

I don't like the new stadium. Other than the main stand it's cold, bleak, tight on space, and dull. That's part of the problem. Also, the football "product" on offer is similarly dull and un-entertaining and nowhere near value for the admission price. The biggest factor for me, though, is the fans. We're all miserable moaning gits who won't ever be happy.

I think winning something like 4 or 5 home league games out of our last 50 has taken its toll on most fans.

We must be close to having the worst home league record in the last 2 and half years.

All very depressing stuff.

Did not know these stats though knew our home record is abysmal. 5 home wins in the last 50 makes me feel angary. We are so lucky so many of us are still going through the gate.

Did not know these stats though knew our home record is abysmal. 5 home wins in the last 50 makes me feel angary. We are so lucky so many of us are still going through the gate.

Its not as bad as 5 in 50, more like 10 in 50. Not great but there has been some exaggeration of our pish home record.

Errrr... that was one wee corner of the ground for a few selected games.

Try the whole stand for a whole season and tell me how it went.

I get it, let's try a small section to get a feel for how it will go and when that doesn't work lets try it on a bigger scale and for a longer period just to make sure. (Sarcasm works two ways)

I would love to see, hear and feel a better atmosphere at our new home but honestly don't feel free for all is the answer.

I get it, let's try a small section to get a feel for how it will go and when that doesn't work lets try it on a bigger scale and for a longer period just to make sure. (Sarcasm works two ways)

I would love to see, hear and feel a better atmosphere at our new home but honestly don't feel free for all is the answer.

In this case the sarcasm was only one way... I was quite sincere.

People with designated seats at a part of the stand they like the view from shouldn't have to move to a corner for a sing song and standy uppy experience.

Reserved seating is stopping a natural gathering of likeminded fans who like to sing throughout a match.

I actually think that most folks would get to sit within a seat or two of their preferred vantage point even if unreserved. That would also let every supporter bring slong a friend should the club inflict a bring a friend for free misery scheme on fans (that bit was sarcastic but with a good point behind it)!

I wouldn't get too angry, its not true.

We have won 40 out of 50 home matches. Do you feel happy now?

In this case the sarcasm was only one way... I was quite sincere.

People with designated seats at a part of the stand they like the view from shouldn't have to move to a corner for a sing song and standy uppy experience.

Reserved seating is stopping a natural gathering of likeminded fans who like to sing throughout a match.

I actually think that most folks would get to sit within a seat or two of their preferred vantage point even if unreserved. That would also let every supporter bring slong a friend should the club inflict a bring a friend for free misery scheme on fans (that bit was sarcastic but with a good point behind it)!

Re bit in bold...........so people with designated seats that they like the view from, just now (season tickets), should have to give them up so that "People with designated seats at a part of the stand they like the view from shouldn't have to move to a corner for a sing song and standy uppy experience" can have their designated area designated for them.

Edited by WeeBud

Re bit in bold...........so people with designated seats that they like the view from, just now (season tickets), should have to give them up so that "People with designated seats at a part of the stand they like the view from shouldn't have to move to a corner for a sing song and standy uppy experience" can have their designated area designated for them.

The stand is rarely full tbf, its not crazy to suggest that people can sit at, or very close to their preferred position every home game. If you really want that perfect seat, get down early.

The stand is rarely full tbf, its not crazy to suggest that people can sit at, or very close to their preferred position every home game. If you really want that perfect seat, get down early.

if the stand is rarely full (I agree incidentally) why can't the singers congregate in a bit that is already quite empty........I don't hold with this has to be in the middle stance of BuddieinEK although I have already said I'd like to see, hear, feel a better atmosphere in the ground.

Motherwell's singers congregate in a corner at Fir Park, Partick Thistle were behind the goals I think (I know we have the Family stand there), Hibs are in the corner nearest the away stand etc.

Allow standing. Put the away fans in the West stand. Allow two rows of seats and a shite wire fence to separate the two sets of fans. Launch pies, coins and abuse at the opposition fans. Absolutely DO NOT clap like a dick when Phil says thank you to the 186 travelling Falkirk fans.

Sing songs that might be considered slightly offensive.

There's yer atmosphere right there.

Modern football is shite.

If you have 0 wins out of 8 at your home stadium and an overall win % of 13% it's no wonder the atmosphere is sh*te ! Notice that Reading have sacked Steve Clark when his win ratio was 36% - go on Stevie do the right thing and come home and buy this lot out ........ I wish ! sad.png

A point that gets discussed here a lot, but never really with enough to put a plan in place: the shite atmosphere at home.

I don't think I am exaggerating to say that unless something is done about this, it is going to cement our place as a minnow in Scottish football. I just can not see any young kids coming along to St Mirren Park (or Paisley 2021 or whatever) and falling in love with the place like I did with Love Street, with running up and down the old terracing, with the chants and characters of the North Bank or the old Main Stand. There was something special about the place, you all know what I'm talking about, and it wasn't the football: first Saints teams I saw were Fitzy's then Davie Hay's!)

The new ground is no Love Street but surely it is not beyond us to manage to get an area for 200 or 300 Buddies committed to making some noise of a matchday. I'm not talking about "ultras", or organised fun pish with flags or drums. Just a return to the half way line crowd at Love Street, an area that you knew you could go to, get some chants going, abuse the lineseman, and say c**t as often as you damn well pleased.

We manage to make a good noise at many away games, so why can't that hardcore sit together at home matches? Get them close to the away fans and get some atmosphere going.

The trials that have been run on this before have all been rather last minute, which obviously returned poor results. There are problems with season ticket holders not wanting to move, not being able to get decent seats next to your mates, folk cant see if some stand up etc, so lets try and come up with some solutions...

To start off with some ideas;

1. Start planning now for next season and properly inform the fans of what we are trying to do and why.

2. No allocated seating in the West Bank, if you really need the same seat every week then buy a Main Stand season ticket. This way folk can bring 4 or 5 mates along with them and be sure to sit together.

3. Encourage the various supporters buses, clubs etc to sit together within the same block of the West Bank. These guys make lots of noise on away days but at home are dotted around the stadium and nowadays drowned out by moaning faced bastards.

4. Get the fans pished, get that beer tent outside for all home games. Screw the elitist members club.

5. Allow standing in certain areas (turn a blind eye to it at least), again if everyone is aware this section will be getting up and down a lot then they will know not to sit behind them.

Above ideas may be pish, its just to get the ball rolling. Lets get a B&W Army campaign going to bring some atmosphere back to our home and help the team make it a place we can win.

What do you think?

(Please can we have this conversation without "if there is a winning team on the park then the atmosphere will come", its clearly not true. And yes, we are assuming Ian Murray will be sacked soon and by the start of next season we have a team worthy of support on the field. There are plenty of other threads to moan that you "won't be back next season".)

I agree with your sentiments here.

You have taken the time to write this but not taken the time to reply to 'doakes' who has offered to get together with you and actually do something about it?