St Mirren V Partick Thistle Scottish Cup Friday 8/1/15

shull

Down 1500 to what figure?

Reckon just over 4000 for Friday night in Jan and somewhere around 5000-5500 if it was on Saturday,

I would say all our other Friday games have seen a drop in attendances than if they had been on a Saturday at 3pm although most of them have been televised.

Some fair and valid points in there mate, but I don't see why it's more of a rush getting to a 1945 game on a Friday than it is any other midweek night.

I had to finish work early the other week to go through to Kirkcaldy on a Tuesday night and I'm pretty sure most of the other buds there would have had to do the same.

I don't think it will really affect the crowd much either way. I doubt it is going to be significantly busier or quieter to be honest but we'll never know.

The point is Div when the draw was made tv schedules were already arranged and it was announced the games would be played 9/10 Jan. Fans generally accept games could be played any time over those 2 days but to then move the game to the Friday night for no apparent reason seems bonkers. Yes probably a tie dipping exercise but it's a gamble in what should be one of the clubs better crowds of the season. Edited by Ayrshire Saints

The point is Div when the draw was made tv schedules were already arranged and it was announced the games would be played 9/10 Jan. Fans generally accept games could be played any time over those 2 days but to then move the game to the Friday night for no apparent reason seems bonkers. Yes probably a tie dipping exercise but it's a gamble in what should be one of the clubs better crowds of the season.

Bonkers? It's far from "bonkers"

Or maybe they've looked at previous Friday night attendances which were positive, especially considering they were televised live?

We've travelled in large numbers to Thistle for live TV Friday night games. Almost 2000 at one game and the attendance was just shy of 6000.

No apparent reason and bonkers right enough...

Football is so stale and it's not really to do with how we're performing. Even the week after winning the cup our next home game attendance was pish.

All credit to both clubs for trying something a wee bit different.

If it doesn't work then at least they tried.

Me personally, I'm much more likely to go to a Friday night game than a Saturday afternoon game.

I can enjoy the game Friday PM and then have the rest of the weekend free with the family.

I don't need to drag my 6 year old to the game if he doesn't want to go. When I do drag him it's a nightmare as he's not really enjoying or wanting to go, hopefully this will change as he grows up.

Bonkers? It's far from "bonkers"

Or maybe they've looked at previous Friday night attendances which were positive, especially considering they were televised live?

We've travelled in large numbers to Thistle for live TV Friday night games. Almost 2000 at one game and the attendance was just shy of 6000.

No apparent reason and bonkers right enough...

Football is so stale and it's not really to do with how we're performing. Even the week after winning the cup our next home game attendance was pish.

All credit to both clubs for trying something a wee bit different.

If it doesn't work then at least they tried.

Me personally, I'm much more likely to go to a Friday night game than a Saturday afternoon game.

I can enjoy the game Friday PM and then have the rest of the weekend free with the family.

I don't need to drag my 6 year old to the game if he doesn't want to go. When I do drag him it's a nightmare as he's not really enjoying or wanting to go, hopefully this will change as he grows up.

Every fixture move will be a plus for some and a minus for others and yes football is stale but I fail to see how Fri night games instead of Saturday afternoons is the answer. I can go either way but still prefer a Saturday 3pm. Many people expected this game to be Sat or Sun (as per the SFA announcement) so given the uncertainty many will have left both days clear and hence will have arranged other stuff for the Fri night.

If it's a choice between Fri and Sun then Fri every time for me but these are changes dictated to us by TV companies, this clearly is not. Who knows you might be right and 6000+ might turn up on the Fri evening but I personally think it's unlikely. I also can't believe hospitality is a bigger draw on a friday night thatn a Saturday afternoon although given it's the first week back at work in the new year perhaps it might have been a struggle to fill it anyway - perhaps that is a contributory factor.

There has been mention of fan cnsultation v the Fans Council - useless to the vast majority of us why not ask the question on the official website before even consulting the SFA / police to gauge general opinion ?

Here's a far less "bonkers" suggestion if they want to try to attract crowds back and prevent the general stale mood - how about £10 an adult and £5 per kid max and pay at the gate. That would seem a far more sensible "experiment" to me.

Mixed sections in the stadium? Applauding away fans for their attendance? Siege mentality at the club has gone, which is sad. No wonder our home record is awful, teams love playing at SMP (but not SM!).

Apparently they have got the 'Siege Mentality' bit covered and those "Mixed Sections" will indeed be painted black, no lighting, mucky seats, no pa, and limited access to toilets and pie stall!

So just like a home game for Thistle fans really!

On a more serious point I understand there are differences of opinion, but the overwhelming majority want the game played on the available Saturday, and with no apparent reason for thevchange other than "How No?" I dont get how any fan can defend this out of touch board yet again?

Are they deliberately trying to lose all support for the club?

Perhaps the stadium will be renamed 'Firhil 2016' for the night, that would be a nice touch..? How No?

Edited by Lord Pityme

In 2009, we played Motherwell on a Saturday in the league and then 3 days later, in the cup, on a Tuesday night and the attendance differed by 2 people. From memory, Motherwell brought a much larger support to the Tuesday night cup game with even a few having to down colours and sit in the west stand. Most were heading for the exits as the third goal went in.

In 2009, we played Motherwell on a Saturday in the league and then 3 days later, in the cup, on a Tuesday night and the attendance differed by 2 people. From memory, Motherwell brought a much larger support to the Tuesday night cup game with even a few having to down colours and sit in the west stand. Most were heading for the exits as the third goal went in.

So we had a much reduced support?

Apparently they have got the 'Siege Mentality' bit covered and those "Mixed Sections" will indeed be painted black, no lighting, mucky seats, no pa, and limited access to toilets and pie stall!

So just like a home game for Thistle fans really!

On a more serious point I understand there are differences of opinion, but the overwhelming majority want the game played on the available Saturday, and with no apparent reason for thevchange other than "How No?" I dont get how any fan can defend this out of touch board yet again?

Are they deliberately trying to lose all support for the club?

Perhaps the stadium will be renamed 'Firhil 2016' for the night, that would be a nice touch..? How No?

Not like you to completely over react. Oh wait..............

I guess because the police had to be consulted, both clubs had to consult with players/manager and fan groups. For it to happen both clubs had to agree the date.

I believe the fans council were consulted but sure Alan or someone else on the FC can confirm.

Either way I am very surprised about the negativity over the date change. Two league games at Firhill were brought forward to a Friday night last season and I dont think either game was on the telly. Cant remember many complaints back then.

Are folk just looking for an excuse to beat the club right now?

Those games were moved for TV this is not a TV game and it's completely laughable that "the fans council" who only speak to themselves, were consulted, they think we all love standing in a big tent having a can of beer and overpriced lump of dung (scotch pie) before a game, and that we will gladly hand over cash to buy scratchcards to fund their wee club bar.

Speaking from a personal point of view, if i intended to go to hospitality for this game i would not be able to do so on a friday due to lack of time after work, it's a horrendous decision in my opinion and every person on the tile bar bus and those i spoke to at Dumbarton yesterday agreed.

Speak to the majority of fans in future about these decisions and not the 20 fans council members ( although i am willing to bet that not all members agreed or were even asked if they agreed)

Your comment about folk wanting to beat the club for any reason is way out of order, it sounds like a comment straight from the mouths of our disinterested BOD.

Why would you be very surprised about "negativity" it is not negativity it is the majority of posters on here voicing their opinion that this is not to their liking, labeling it as being negative shows a lack of respect for other peoples' opinions.

Edited by buddiecat

Reckon just over 4000 for Friday night in Jan and somewhere around 5000-5500 if it was on Saturday,

I would say all our other Friday games have seen a drop in attendances than if they had been on a Saturday at 3pm although most of them have been televised.

They will hail it as a success no matter what the crowd is, because we will never know what the crowd would have been were it played on the day it was meant to be played.

Mixed sections in the stadium? Applauding away fans for their attendance? Siege mentality at the club has gone, which is sad. No wonder our home record is awful, teams love playing at SMP (but not SM!).

I applaud this as the post of the season, it was the main topic of discussion among my fellow buds yesterday - "did you read repairmans' post sums up part of what is wrong at our club"

The only thing that sticks in ma craw is the luvvies knew well in advance that we did

They always do, the "SGG told me personally" brigade, he probably asked them to be positive about it because he knew it would not go down well. They are trying their best to convince us that it's a great idea and can't believe we disagree, despite the opinion of the majority of posters.

Edited by buddiecat

They always do, the "SGG told me personally" brigade, he probably asked them to be positive about it because he knew it would not go down well. They are trying their best to convince us that it's a great idea and can't believe we disagree, despite the opinion of the majority of posters.

Maybe the board are just trying to finish the season as quickly as possible and hope no one else notices?

I think the clubs should be commended for the mixed area idea know a few jags fans and we have always had good friendly banter before n after games in past. Alright shull n pityme we know ur not in favour of Friday nite games but gie it a rest eh! U have been goin on about it for 4 pages most of us prefer Sat afternoon but its not the end of world considering what's happened this year!

• 3 weeks later...