St Mirren V Partick Thistle Scottish Cup Friday 8/1/15

shull

Thought it was crazy to play howieson off shankland. For me howieson is up there with worst ever saints players. Guy is hopeless

Why did he not play mallan off shanks

If need guys players ASAP. Sick off watching these useless cubts

Behave, he's pish but he's not even the worst midfielder in that team at the moment never mind worst Saints player ever.

Some positives. Way better than the livi game. Against a good Thistle side which are sniffing top six and unlucky to loose at parkhead we pretty much held them in a shite fest for 60 minutes. The Defence looked positive but we needed to be sharper defending corners. In the middle we at least kept our shape, and closed down space. Stewart looked comfortable when he came on and looked ok although I'd have thought pushing Kelly into the midfield would have been a better option. Up front Shankland worked hard and when Thommo came on he looked better than he's played for over a year (maybe he's playing for a contract extension.) A bit of dig at the end showed there could be something there.

The negatives Midfield created nothing too lightweight and offered little resistance or cover. Webster and Langfield should be taking more responsibility. Agnew, McMullan, Mallan, Howison not one of them offered anything. Midfield too static with no movement and not quick enough to get forward. Too many back passes.

Carswell put in one tackle in the half hour he was on the park, missed it, tackled grass and f**ked his knee in the process. Sums him up.

Agnew had approximately 3,400 touches to set himself over 47 spells of possession, knocked it sideways 24 times, backwards 14 times and tried a floaty forward pass to a Thistle player on the rest of the times. He floated in the space where no-one else from either side goes (the Carswell position) for 60 minutes and failed to track his man (who strayed into this space 33 times) on zero occasions. But his wee pink boots were lovely.

NB: these figures may not be accurate but it f**king felt like it.

Fitness was the main difference tonight, Thistle showed it when they broke quickly it was often 5 against 4.Midfield is shocking always 2nd to the ball, too lightweight. As someone posted earlier McMullen should just go back to the east end of Glasgow.

The biggest disappointment for me are Webster and Langfield ,they should be showing a bit more experience and help to the young players.know Morgan and McLear are light but they should get the chance in place Agnew,McMullan, Howieson,any 2 of 3.

Rae knows where the problems are but fitness levels need to be 1st priority

I'm not that disappointed by the result or performance.

Yes we lacked an attacking threat but what do we expect with only Shankland upfront an unproven striker!

I think several things went against us tonight we did not look as solid in midfield after Carswell got injured and we were forced to make a sub...

The referee was not the best the pitch was heavy because of the weather. To me it looked like Carswell's studs caught in the soaked grass and he twisted his knee!

Thommo should have came on sooner Agnew is pish can't pass a ball forward can't tackle! McMullan is to lightweight and is all pace and absolutely no end result! Can anyone remember him crossing a ball this season?

Only complaint tonight about Rae was that he took too long putting Thommo on but think that might be the result of the early sub because of injury!

What difference would Goody have made tonight and if we had a decent striker to play upfront with Shankland instead of imposter footballers like Agnew and I'm afraid to say McMullan as well!

We need player's in January but we played a topflight team. We have a depleted squad because of injury and Murray's inability to sign footballers!

But I do see progress and what do people think the score would have been had ian Murray been incharge?

Go on slaughter me then!!!

We were always going to lose this game. Thistle have been on a very good run whilst we really are a poor outfit. All very depressing to see such a fall from grace in just a mere 18 months.

I really fear that season ticket sales could drop by 20-25% this summer. I can see a huge number of peeps thinking that forking out £300 for a couple of home victories (assuming we win any this season) as not worthwhile. Do we not currently have our highest ever season ticket holders?

Can see there being a very poor crowd for Raith next week. :-(

Edited by Mr Zo

Accurate posts/summaries by Sonny and Bart.

Defence were the strongest part of the team but were posted AWOL at most corners.

The midfield just did not exist - now the weakest area in the team by the proverbial mile.

The attacking strategy consisted of Shankland in isolation and the long balls through the middle were usually nowhere near him.

To sum up - our first shot at goal, albeit off target, was not until the 78th minute.

You would have to be a bit of an optimist to take anything positive from that game!

Fitness was the main difference tonight, Thistle showed it when they broke quickly it was often 5 against 4.Midfield is shocking always 2nd to the ball, too lightweight. As someone posted earlier McMullen should just go back to the east end of Glasgow.

The biggest disappointment for me are Webster and Langfield ,they should be showing a bit more experience and help to the young players.know Morgan and McLear are light but they should get the chance in place Agnew,McMullan, Howieson,any 2 of 3.

Rae knows where the problems are but fitness levels need to be 1st priority

To be fair we're still in pre season training

Another home game, another defeat, another shite performance.

Yet again i walked into the Paisley 2021 stadium full of hope and optimism and left pissed off.

This is one of the worst St. Mirren teams I can remember. They are actually all pretty shite with the exception of a few players. Our midfield is non existent, McMullan and Agnew in particular are utter horse shit. When was the last time Agnew made a forward pass? He gets the ball and passes the buck as soon as possible, he's nowhere near good enough to be playing for St. Mirren!

The last 5 mins the players seem to wake up/give a f**k? I actually thought Thommo looked up for it when he came on tonight and gave us a wee lift.

The cup is over for another year but our main focus is staying in the championship for another season and getting rid of all the deadwood (95% of the squad). We will just need to be patient and wait for yet another rebuilding job.

Another home game, another defeat, another shite performance.

Yet again i walked into the Paisley 2021 stadium full of hope and optimism and left pissed off.

This is one of the worst St. Mirren teams I can remember. They are actually all pretty shite with the exception of a few players. Our midfield is non existent, McMullan and Agnew in particular are utter horse shit. When was the last time Agnew made a forward pass? He gets the ball and passes the buck as soon as possible, he's nowhere near good enough to be playing for St. Mirren!

The last 5 mins the players seem to wake up/give a f**k? I actually thought Thommo looked up for it when he came on tonight and gave us a wee lift.

The cup is over for another year but our main focus is staying in the championship for another season and getting rid of all the deadwood (95% of the squad). We will just need to be patient and wait for yet another rebuilding job.

WTF1eye.gif

When talking about our decline it is quite worrying. Next year I would expect half the team out tonight to be gone. Thommo, Goody, Webster, Langfield, Shankland, Gallacher, Watson, Howison, McMullan Carswell, will all be out of contract/ returned from loan, together with Mallan, Gow and Ridgers likely to leave that's essentially a full team. And who ever is the manager will have to start again trawling through the detritus jettisoned by other clubs.

On the other hand most of them are shite and we're better of without them

On the evidence of what I watched tonight, then AR has an even more difficult rebuilding job than we first thought.

We have nothing in midfield and no genuine pace and very little goal threat. He needs to get some players in this window and somehow hope that he can manage to keep this squad in the championship.

He's got one hell of a job on his hands with this squad, who must be the poorest I've seen for a very long time.

Worrying times.

On the evidence of what I watched tonight, then AR has an even more difficult rebuilding job than we first thought.

We have nothing in midfield and no genuine pace and very little goal threat. He needs to get some players in this window and somehow hope that he can manage to keep this squad in the championship.

He's got one hell of a job on his hands with this squad, who must be the poorest I've seen for a very long time.

Worrying times.

Where have you been all season?