St Mirren V Partick Thistle Scottish Cup Friday 8/1/15

shull

All my mates have put in for a half day off work to head through to Paisley. To say this has caught the imagination would be an understatement. Certainly from a Thistle perspective. Seems to be one or two unhappy on here.

Not from a Thistle perspective.

But from, probably a very small minority of bevvy merchants.

Should be no surprise really that a game scheduled for 9/10 January is changed by our club to a Friday night on the 8th January making it impossible for many to attend given travel, accomodation, work, family general Friday night stuff etc...

It is endemic of a board who last "gave a f**k" over six years ago about the people funding the club.

I Wonder if they will be surprised at the gate on a cold wet January night?

As requested

Partick Thistle are set to first-foot St Mirren for the William Hill Scottish Cup clash between the two sides which, it has been agreed, will take place on Friday January 8th with a 7:30pm kick off.

Thistle will be the Buddies’ first home opponents in 2016 as both clubs look to kick start the New Year by progressing to the next round of the cup.

There will be lots of New Year fun with both clubs already working together to make it an evening full of entertainment, both on and off the pitch.

Already confirmed are:

* Dedicated sections of the stadium where both sets of fans can mix and enjoy the game together, something not seen in most Scottish football grounds for decades.

* A mixed family section for young supporters.

* Half time entertainment featuring youth teams from both sides

* A Kingsley Vs Paisley Panda face off to see which team truly has the best mascot.

Ticket information for the match will be released next week so, keep your eyes peeled, and don’t miss out on this fantastic night at the football.

I think the mixing of fans is a good idea,I know a few Partick fans and think it would be a good laugh. If it's on the telly it would be good if the broadcaster had a tv crew in amongst the mixed section. The banter would be braw

Could the above not have been put in place on the Sat?

There is not another Cup tie being played within 20 miles of us on the Sat and both the ugly sisters(formerly known as the OF) are playing on the Sun.If they are looking for neutrals to boost the crowd then I'd have thought Sat would be a better day for it.

I can see me not bothering with a season ticket next season.

Totally agree would think that the gate will be down between 1000-1500 as a result of playing on a Friday night. Scottish Cup football should be played 3pm Saturday especially if there s no tv coverage.

Love a Friday night game punk.gif

I personally prefer Friday to Sundays but Saturday 3pm is always king in my book. I have yet to see a game moved to a Friday for what I can only assume (given no official explanation) are financial reasons but I can't see for the world of me how a cup tie between two near neighbours will pull a better crowd and hospitality returns on a Friday night at the beginning of January than the Saturday afternoon. Would just like to hear the reasoning behind the decision.

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

Totally agree would think that the gate will be down between 1000-1500 as a result of playing on a Friday night. Scottish Cup football should be played 3pm Saturday especially if there s no tv coverage.

I think it will increase, if anything. A few of my mates fancying it now that it's friday (neutrals)

Why weren't we told in the early part of the week?

We could have been informed immediately.

I guess because the police had to be consulted, both clubs had to consult with players/manager and fan groups. For it to happen both clubs had to agree the date.

I believe the fans council were consulted but sure Alan or someone else on the FC can confirm.

Either way I am very surprised about the negativity over the date change. Two league games at Firhill were brought forward to a Friday night last season and I dont think either game was on the telly. Cant remember many complaints back then.

Are folk just looking for an excuse to beat the club right now?

I guess because the police had to be consulted, both clubs had to consult with players/manager and fan groups. For it to happen both clubs had to agree the date.

I believe the fans council were consulted but sure Alan or someone else on the FC can confirm.

Either way I am very surprised about the negativity over the date change. Two league games at Firhill were brought forward to a Friday night last season and I dont think either game was on the telly. Cant remember many complaints back then.

Both Friday games at Firhill were shown on BT Sport. Moving games for TV is fair enough but this isn't when there is a perfectly good Saurday now lying empty.

People posting that they can no longer attend due to it being moved is hardly putting the boot in to the club and they have every right to be annoyed. Personally, I now can't go to this game so I'm a bit annoyed that it's been moved for no apparent reason.

More widely, I'm sure there's been a general consensus among football fans that they are fed up with games being moved away from a Saturday afternoon. There's also a growing consensus that evening games on cold January nights should be avoided.

Obviously, there will be some fans this suit, but overall, I think it's an inconvenience to most fans. Instead of a Saturday with time to get to and from the game, fans will now have to rush home from work and rush back out. Thistle fans now have to get home from work then back out to travel through the tail end of rush hour. All instead of a relaxed Saturday.

What about kids and families? Is a Friday night a more attractive proposition than a Saturday afternoon? I really doubt it.

We'll see what the crowd is, but I can't see how this, and Friday night football overall, is beneficial to the average fan, or going to attract new fans.

Edited by Thorizaar

Both Friday games at Firhill were shown on BT Sport. Moving games for TV is fair enough but this isn't when there is a perfectly good Saurday now lying empty.

Yes indeed both games were televised.

Which is understandable, TV companies provide a decent income for clubs like us and if they want to is to play on X day at Y time then we should do as they say. If we don't their money goes.

This is nothing to do with TV money. I would love to know the reasoning behind it as I genuinely can't see one.

Are we going to start moving random league games to Friday night too?

People posting that they can no longer attend due to it being moved is hardly putting the boot in to the club and they have every right to be annoyed. Personally, I now can't go to this game so I'm a bit annoyed that it's been moved for no apparent reason.

More widely, I'm sure there's been a general consensus among football fans that they are fed up with games being moved away from a Saturday afternoon. There's also a growing consensus that evening games on cold January nights should be avoided.

Obviously, there will be some fans this suit, but overall, I think it's an inconvenience to most fans. Instead of a Saturday with time to get to and from the game, fans will now have to rush home from work and rush back out. Thistle fans now have to get home from work then back out to travel through the tail end of rush hour. All instead of a relaxed Saturday.

What about kids and families? Is a Friday night a more attractive proposition than a Saturday afternoon? I really doubt it.

We'll see what the crowd is, but I can't see how this, and Friday night football overall, is beneficial to the average fan, or going to attract new fans.

Apparently a few Thistle supporting steamers have got half days from their work so all is well.

What about kids and families? Is a Friday night a more attractive proposition than a Saturday night? I really doubt it.

Some fair and valid points in there mate, but I don't see why it's more of a rush getting to a 1945 game on a Friday than it is any other midweek night.

I had to finish work early the other week to go through to Kirkcaldy on a Tuesday night and I'm pretty sure most of the other buds there would have had to do the same.

I don't think it will really affect the crowd much either way. I doubt it is going to be significantly busier or quieter to be honest but we'll never know.

This is nothing to do with TV money. I would love to know the reasoning behind it as I genuinely can't see one.

I think it's just an experiment to see how it goes. This will be our 4th Friday fixture of the season. Appreciate the others were for TV reasons but, still, football is sadly no longer just a 3pm Saturday sport.

I think it's just an experiment to see how it goes. This will be our 4th Friday fixture of the season. Appreciate the others were for TV reasons but, still, football is sadly no longer just a 3pm Saturday sport.

I wish folk would not 'experiment' at the expense of my social calendar - Saturdays are empty for me without Saints game - I had already made other arrangements for Friday night so now I' m snookered by a decision from on high which I could just about stomach if it was demanded by our TV masters but to be overruled by my own team's management is just not acceptable

The Club & Thistle deserve to be criticised..

Absolute shambles.

Some fair and valid points in there mate, but I don't see why it's more of a rush getting to a 1945 game on a Friday than it is any other midweek night.

I had to finish work early the other week to go through to Kirkcaldy on a Tuesday night and I'm pretty sure most of the other buds there would have had to do the same.

I don't think it will really affect the crowd much either way. I doubt it is going to be significantly busier or quieter to be honest but we'll never know.

FFS

It's instead of a Saturday.

Defending the indefensible lol.gif