Gary Neville Named Valencia Head Coach

Buffs

I never really liked him as a player but he is excellent as a sports pundit. Really knows his stuff.

Good Luck to him.

I didn't really rate him as a player either but like you I've changed my opinion of him as a person in recent months.

I don't know how many people watched the BBC programme "Out of their league" about the 5 ex Man United players buying Salford City and attempting to turn that club into a league team in England. On there was what I thought was a fascinating insight into the mind of what made this guy a winner. His level of organisation, even in his own home, was beyond obsessive. He was totally obsessive about time keeping - saying he always made sure he arrived 10 early for everything in his life and becoming extremely frustrated at others who couldn't keep time in the same way. His wife talking about how Neville wakes up at 5am and switches on his tablet to catch up on any football news he'd missed out on while he was sleeping and talking about how much of a control freak he is in everything he does - all said to me that this guy would make the perfect manager.

I'm sure he'll do well.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

u obviously know absolutely feck all about football then and u know more than Alex Ferguson...

I'm just being honest. When Sunderland were playing Manchester United I was always pretty happy to see Neville in the Man U team. He often looked like the weak link in what was an excellent side. He was neither brilliant in an attacking sense, or in defence and there were certainly far better full backs around the English Premiership.

BTW I don't think Fergie had the best of records in his choices of full backs. He replaced Stewart Kennedy with Doug Rougvie at Aberdeen FFS.

I'm just being honest. When Sunderland were playing Manchester United I was always pretty happy to see Neville in the Man U team. He often looked like the weak link in what was an excellent side. He was neither brilliant in an attacking sense, or in defence and there were certainly far better full backs around the English Premiership.

BTW I don't think Fergie had the best of records in his choices of full backs. He replaced Stewart Kennedy with Doug Rougvie at Aberdeen FFS.

Stewart McKimmie replaced Stewart Kennedy

Aye Neville was a dud and Fergie just put up with him ffs

Stewart McKimmie replaced Stewart Kennedy

Aye Neville was a dud and Fergie just put up with him ffs

Nope you're wrong. Kennedy got injured in the Cup Winners Cup Semi Final and never played for the Dons again. Rougvie replaced him for the rest of that season. Mckimmie didn't sign from Dundee until the start of the new season.

Like a few of us I could never warm to Gary Neville as a man but suggesting he wasn't a good player is utter crap. 85 caps for England speaks for itself. He worked hard at his game and I wish we had a few players just now who got stuck in like him. Years ago a pal of mine was getting petrol at a services area on the M6 and his wife spotted David Beckham there. She asked Ian to get his autograph but he told her would he hell so she went after Beckham and got his autograph. When she got back to the car she was chuffed as hell and Ian asked her if she had got Gary Neville's autograph as well. 'Who's Gary Neville?' was his wife's reply. Neville was with Beckham and apparently Beckham handed the thing he had autographed to Neville but Jeanette apparently almost ripped it out of his grasp because she was so desperate to see what Beckham had written. 'I thought that strange guy didnae look too pleased' she said.

Nope you're wrong. Kennedy got injured in the Cup Winners Cup Semi Final and never played for the Dons again. Rougvie replaced him for the rest of that season. Mckimmie didn't sign from Dundee until the start of the new season.

The season was more or less done when Kennedy got injured,Rougvie was a stop gap

Your post said Rougvie replaced Kennedy as in long term

Rougvie was a decent full back who played left back most of the time

• 2 months later...