Bring Danny Lennon Back To Greenhill Road

shull

Well it was suggested to me when he took the gig, it was offered to him at half of what DL was on..............I'd say that was mucho cheapness for an SPL gig.

I would say prudence and a large dose of hope were behind the BoD's decision then................so, if it had worked, well, that's another story, to be lauded and regaled around the towns taverns. Sadly though, it was simply the train wreck rolling on..............

I'd take that with a pinch of salt but the truth is none of us really know for sure.

Danny was on less than Gus and I guess Tommy could easily have been on less than Danny but is it really then possible that Murray is on less than Tommy?

My head hurts.

I felt that Danny's time was up, but he was light years ahead of those that followed on. You know that old saying "be careful what you wish for"? It's come back to bite us in the arse big time.

I felt that, after galvanising the team for the run in in 2013, I felt it might have been prudent to give Danny another season but I understand why others had different ideas. I certainly think it was stupidity to give the monkey, who had failed TWICE previously, the job when you've sacked the organ grinder. A new broom was called for and we got an daft old brush.

I felt that, after galvanising the team for the run in in 2013, I felt it might have been prudent to give Danny another season but I understand why others had different ideas. I certainly think it was stupidity to give the monkey, who had failed TWICE previously, the job when you've sacked the organ grinder. A new broom was called for and we got an daft old brush.

Not dimishing it at all as it was one of my best moments as a Saints fan but the cup win was steeped in luck. Lennon had still not addressed the glaring problem in an otherwise fine side, which was it's soft centre in the middle of the defence. I didn't meet a single fan who wasn't hugely frustrated at his inability to fix the problem season after season.

In the cup run we shipped two goals three times out of five ties. It just so happened in all of those games we scored three (two in Aberdeen).

It was a good squad, but we did carry our share of luck in the cup run because our defence was poor.

I loved Danny to bits but when you look at his record it wasn't great.

Our form in the league from January-December 2013 was rotten, he earned extra time to turn it around because of the cup win but he was really lucky to keep his job when we went the first 7-8 games without winning a match in the 2013/14 season.

Harkins,Grainger,Caprice,Cornell,Bahoken all awful signings that summer.

There was one point in in the cup winning season where we had only won league games in Paisley and Dundee until we beat Killie away in April iirc. County pumped us at home before we beat Celtic in the semi.

I suppose the best way to get Danny back would be as one of these new " match day ambassadors" the club put up at corporate hospitality.

In my eyes,he stands alongside Tony Fitzpatrick as someone who is a club legend but ultimately a poor manager.

Let's just remember the good times and bring him back very home game to say hello.

I didn't see Dumbarton play last season so I can't comment on that but he did well I thought to keep a part time team in that division.

As I say, there weren't too many dissenting voices when he was appointed.

We took Tom Hendrie from a lower league than the Championship and he worked out not too badly, whilst Gus MacPherson took us to a cup final, a 1st Division championship win, a Bells cup win and kept us in the top flight for 5 seasons and that was his first ever managers job.

Every appointment is a gamble to some degree. Even previously successful managers can fail elsewhere. See Terry Butcher at ICT versus Terry Butcher at Hibs.

Last season there were 2 relegation places (1 automatic, 1 via play off cup tie) in the Championship. Cowdenbeath, Alloa, and Dumbarton were all part time teams in the league... Livi were full time but had a signing embargo and points deducted due to failure to pay tax on time, and Raith Rovers have a mix of full and part time players.

Cowdenbeath were relegated and Jimmy Nichol resigned as manager

Alloa sacked Barry Douglas and brought in Danny Lennon and stayed up after winning the play off

Livi just avoided the play offs on the final day of the season and earlier in the season John McGlynn left as manager by mutual consent

Dumbarton finished 7th on 34 points (7 clear of Livi (who had 5 points deducted) and Alloa who were tied on goal difference)

Raith Rovers finished 6th - 9 points clear of Dumbarton at which point Grant Murray was sacked.

Murray was the only manager of a bottom 5 club to last all season and I'm not sure that when there were 3 completely part time teams and only 2 relegation places and Livi had lots of off-field financial problems that Murray deserved the acclaim he received for Dumbarton punching above their weight last season.

Last season there were 2 relegation places (1 automatic, 1 via play off cup tie) in the Championship. Cowdenbeath, Alloa, and Dumbarton were all part time teams in the league... Livi were full time but had a signing embargo and points deducted due to failure to pay tax on time, and Raith Rovers have a mix of full and part time players.

Alloa sacked Barry Douglas and brought in Danny Lennon and stayed up after winning the play off

Livi just avoided the play offs on the final day of the season and earlier in the season John McGlynn left as manager by mutual consent

Dumbarton finished 7th on 34 points (7 clear of Livi (who had 5 points deducted) and Alloa who were tied on goal difference)

Raith Rovers finished 6th - 9 points clear of Dumbarton at which point Grant Murray was sacked.

Murray was the only manager of a bottom 5 club to last all season and I'm not sure that when there were 3 completely part time teams and only 2 relegation places and Livi had lots of off-field financial problems that Murray deserved the acclaim he received for Dumbarton punching above their weight last season.

Alloa sacked Barry Douglas?

For one, it was Barry Smith. Secondly, he never got sacked he resigned.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31785021

The club didn't want him to leave either. They 'reluctantly accepted' his resignation.

You're clearly not impressed with Murray leading Dumbarton to 5th and 7th in the Championship while being part time. What finishes would have impressed you in those circumstances?

Edited by TopCat

As for "nonsense" look at the FACTS in the post I made. Three wins in TWENTY FOUR league games.

From the cup win in March 2013 to May 2014 we were absolutely SHITE, the squad was dismantled (not all through Danny's fault I grant you) and the rot began. Only a Hearts team full of kids and starting 15 points behind us at the start of the season prevented us from being knee deep in a relegation battle all season long.

As for the "decent football", it was a season long wonder. The football we played in season 2013-2014 was as sexy as Susan Boyle.

How many draws did we get in the 24 league games that you refer to? We are a similar sized club in lots of ways to Killie, St Johnstone, Ross County, Partick Thistle, Dundee, Inverness and a bit bigger in terms of support than Hamilton Accies (who were in the Championship for most of DL's tenure with us)... most of those clubs have had a season or two finishing in the top 6 but Partick haven't made that step nor have Hamilton and I guess Killie haven't been there for 5 or 6 seasons. Maybe if we were drawing a lot of games with those types of teams in 2013/4 it was because they are all much of a muchness?

Alloa sacked Barry Douglas?

For one, it was Barry Smith. Secondly, he never got sacked he resigned.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31785021

The club didn't want him to leave either. They 'reluctantly accepted' his resignation.

You're clearly not impressed with Murray leading Dumbarton to 5th and 7th in the Championship while being part time. What finishes would have impressed you in those circumstances?

Avoiding relegation is not a qualification for coming to a club that wants to win promotion.

Div says there weren't many dissenting voices.

Well, I was a dissenting voice. And, as always, I was proved correct.

There was nothing in Murray's record at Dumbarton which suggested he'd be a success at St. Mirren.

Cowdenbeath were full time last season.

How many draws did we get in the 24 league games that you refer to?

Drew a lot of games at the end of season 2012-2013 after winning the cup but didn't draw many the following season.

Two wee winning runs saveds our bacon. You can check the stats here.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2475&teamTabs=results

Folk keep going on about Danny's signings. I can bet every team has at least 4 or 5 players that don't get a game it's all about luck. Look at Celtic for instance. Boerigter scepovic bangura Blackett Berget none if these guys get a game or have been booted out yet prob cost £10 million minumum. Yet Lennon gets jip about guys he signed. It's part and parcel of football

Folk keep going on about Danny's signings. I can bet every team has at least 4 or 5 players that don't get a game it's all about luck. Look at Celtic for instance. Boerigter scepovic bangura Blackett Berget none if these guys get a game or have been booted out yet prob cost £10 million minumum. Yet Lennon gets jip about guys he signed. It's part and parcel of football

Yeah Celtic can afford to have a few duds in their squad, clubs like Saints can't. Which is why we were relegated and are in trouble this season.

Paying off these duds cost Danny and the club. He worked wonders with the younger players though.

There's no such thing as playing football in the correct manner.

Wins are what actually matter, and aesthetics are a nice bonus. Lennon and Murray both are in the same ship when it comes to not being successful.

Really when did Murray win the league cup and bring a middle sized club to highest finish in 25 years.

Particularly when your scraping the bottom of the bargain bin.

There is know way that either the current BOD,s would want Danny Lennon back as manager nor should they. Taking all into consideration i.e...... that he was good with the young players, he won us the league cup, he was gentleman etc. etc. ........

The fact is he always had us in the bottom 6 of the SPFL, he was disapproved of by many a St.Mirren fan and I include myself in that, he signed to many dud footballers etc. etc........

At the moment I have nothing but distain for Murray and want him sacked asap, but Danny Lennon is not the answer.

With Danny you came away from games thinking how the hell did we get nothing from that, with Murray you come away thinking we got exactly what we deserved.

In saying that I wouldn't have him back. I think the Scotland U21's would have been the perfect job for him and certainly would be better than the agricultural stuff served up by Sbragia .

If we were bring anyone back I'd currently take Teale, Feck, I'd probably take Craig

Edited by insaintee

I have always been wary with good cause about "going back" or in this case bringing someone "back" that was poorly treated by the board in light of their achievements.

The worry being how he would be treated, what remit, licence to express himself would he be given by the board that dropped him??? And the factions within the board, dressing room and on this forum who colluded to get rid of him! "MairGate, ImrieGate, HarkinsGate" anyone!

All that said if Danny genuinely fancied it, and the pricks who stirred it could be kept out of his way???

How does a managerial team of Lennon & Miller sound to you?

FFS those two would have the current squad picking up four times the points 'Murray The Muppet' has done against average opposition..

Lennon & Miller for the season run-in buds? It fair gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

I can see an argument for not bringing Danny back been there done it argument!

I remember Partick Thistle throwing money at managers joint managers nothing worked brought back John Lambie and there fortunes changed!

If or when Murray is bagged St.Mirren need a cheap manager who we don't need to pay Compesation for who has a track record of keeping teams up when in trouble who is good with the young squad player's develops them into first team player's and has silver wear to his name.

The kind of man who sends out teams that are fit and compete. the kind of man that talks up the club and fans rather than the manager we have just now who thinks the fans no nothing!

I would agree his signings in his last season was poor but we finished in the league!

People saying but he never got us in the top six! Well with the board cutting his budget every year if he had it would have been a miracle!

Craig and Teale got us relegated Murray looks to be going the same way the BOARD is the same BOARD that appointed Lennon after the cup he lost the support of the board yet still kept us up and won us a cup!

I also like the fact Danny resigned from Alloa because it means he will walk away rather than hold out for a payoff!

I don't think Danny will be back but in the situation we find our self in I honestly can't think of a better option!