League Cup ( Groups 2016/17 ) & Winter Break

TBH we need to move away from the endless negativity about the OF

No, we don't.

A team exists that should not exist - according to the rules by which ALL other teams must abide.

That team gets disproportionate support and assistance.

All Scottish fans finance those authorities. You pay for this malpractice. You should be bealing...

No, we don't.

A team exists that should not exist - according to the rules by which ALL other teams must abide.

All Scottish fans finance those authorities. You pay for this malpractice. You should be bealing...

Indeed.

The OF (as was) and its replacement is fundamental to virtually all the problems in Scottish football.

Stuff like this new League Cup format is tinkering around the edges.

And its not just the issue of the new club from Ibrox. Its the fact that both halves of the OF have a business model of exploiting sectarianism, hatred and violence.

Its no surprise that oaksoft doesn't want this discussed. He has history on this forum of condoning and excusing OF sectarianism.

Hopefully Season Tickets will be valid for all Section Matches.

Hopefully a Tenner will be the maximum price for others ( Adults )

Otherwise attendances will be shite.

To be honest the way the BoD have fecked things up I'd still have to pay to get in to these games next term.

No, we don't.

what support and assistance are they getting?

they were made to come back from league 2.

it will be years before they can challenge for anything again.

i still hope to see them lose titles for cheating but

given that they are not going to vanish what more do you want?

life is too short dude.

Hopefully Season Tickets will be valid for all Section Matches.

Hopefully a Tenner will be the maximum price for others ( Adults )

Otherwise attendances will be shite.

You might get one of the group games on your ST same way we got the Berwick game this season.

what support and assistance are they getting?

they were made to come back from league 2.

it will be years before they can challenge for anything again.

i still hope to see them lose titles for cheating but

given that they are not going to vanish what more do you want?

life is too short dude.

Stop perpetuating myths oakie.

They were never anywhere until they were allowed to enter the THIRD division. (Without the proper credentials).

I reiterate. They never CAME BACK from anywhere.

They have already, in their short history, challenge and succeeded in winning two lower league titles.

Pretty damn good for a brand new club IF they hadn't been paying for it with money they shouldn't have.

Edited by stlucifer

They were never anywhere until they were allowed to enter the THIRD division. (Without the proper credentials).

They have already, in their short history, challenge and succeeded in winning two lower league titles.

Pretty damn good for a brand new club IF they hadn't been paying for it with money they shouldn't have.

I never thought I'd be proud to accept handers from Lucifer, but....

...what he said! :)

And as for support and assistance?

Payment for use of their semi-derelict ground for cup ties and commonwealth games, subsidised (by the SFA - IE you/me) tv contracts, no financial penalties for operating whilst being financially unsound yet paying gross wages to players it can't afford (IE cheating), and sevco has still not paid the financial penalties/fines (due to the DEID club that owner Charles Green said it would pay) as part of their dirty deal to leapfrog into the leagues.

Diddy clubs don't get those get-out-of-gaol-free cards. No slack has ever been cut for them. Think Falkirk, St Mirren, Spartans, Airdrie...

Edited by bluto

...what he said! :)

Payment for use of their semi-derelict ground for cup ties and commonwealth games, subsidised (by the SFA - IE you/me) tv contracts, no financial penalties for operating whilst being financially unsound yet paying gross wages to players it can't afford (IE cheating), and sevco has still not paid the financial penalties/fines (due to the DEID club that owner Charles Green said it would pay) as part of their dirty deal to leapfrog into the leagues.

Diddy clubs don't get those get-out-of-gaol-free cards. No slack has ever been cut for them. Think Falkirk, St Mirren, Spartans, Airdrie...

Sigh FFS lol.

In other news, the world continued turning.........

Life is too short guys.

I'm old enough to remember the league cup when it had groups, loved it back then. Of course that's when we had a decent team. Might not be so much fun now.

I'm old enough to remember many poor St Mirren teams playing in the old sections.

...what he said! smile.png

Indeed.

But the most important point is that if this new club hadn't been allowed into the Third Division then there would be no more Old Firm.

It would have meant the long term decline of Celtic.

It would have meant an increase in competition in Scottish football.

And it would have meant the end of sectarianism, not just in football... but probably in Scottish society in general.

But, hey ho. Life's too short, the world keeps turning.... and we now have League Cup sections instead.

Wee bit of trivia about St. Mirren and the League Cup sections of old.

Back in 1949, St. Mirren were drawn in a section along with Celtic, Rangers (now in liquidation) and Aberdeen.

Yes, you read that right.

What an incredible section.

Predictably, Saints finished bottom. However, not without a fight.

We managed to beat Celtic & Aberdeen at home and draw with Rangers at home.

The section finished:

Rangers 8pts

Celtic 6pts

Aberdeen 5pts

St. Mirren 5pts

So it was a tightly fought group, right to the end.

The home game against Celtic drew an attendance of 47,438 on 20 August 1949, the club’s record home attendance.

The home game against Rangers 10 days later (a Tuesday evening) drew an attendance of 45,000 (a suspiciously round number…).

Over 90,000 people packed into Love Street inside 10 days to watch a couple of League Cup sectional matches where Saints won one and drew one against the Old Firm.

Football in post war Scotland was a bit different to the modern day….

Edited by nosferatu

Wee bit of trivia about St. Mirren and the League Cup sections of old.

Back in 1949, St. Mirren were drawn in a section along with Celtic, Rangers (now in liquidation) and Aberdeen.

Yes, you read that right.

What an incredible section.

Predictably, Saints finished bottom. However, not without a fight.

We managed to beat Celtic & Aberdeen at home and draw with Rangers at home.

The section finished:

Rangers 8pts

Celtic 6pts

Aberdeen 5pts

St. Mirren 5pts

So it was a tightly fought group, right to the end.

The home game against Celtic drew an attendance of 47,438 on 20 August 1949, the clubs record home attendance.

The home game against Rangers 10 days later (a Tuesday evening) drew an attendance of 45,000 (a suspiciously round number).

Over 90,000 people packed into Love Street inside 10 days to watch a couple of League Cup sectional matches where Saints won one and drew one against the Old Firm.

Football in post war Scotland was a bit different to the modern day.

Aye, but Season Tickets were valid.

I think it would be a great idea to offer a season ticket for the 5 matches and identical pricing say £10 for adult and £5 for a child. Also. Would be good if it could be possible to have a collective distribution of Gaye receipts divided by the teams in the group say. Rangers thistle us queens park and sranraer all in sane group all Gaye receipts collected divided by the 5 teams

I think it would be a great idea to offer a season ticket for the 5 matches and identical pricing say £10 for adult and £5 for a child. Also. Would be good if it could be possible to have a collective distribution of Gaye receipts divided by the teams in the group say. Rangers thistle us queens park and sranraer all in sane group all Gaye receipts collected divided by the 5 teams

That's a Marvinlous idea.

I was listening to a radio phone in last night and the new League Cup format was being discussed. Someone eventually raised the subject of admission costs and then it was the usual side-step " eh, yes, the pricing ought to be looked at, Scottish football is overpriced, etc etc ". Then promptly ignored.

How often is this brought up, then completely ignored, as if its like the weather which cannot be controlled. the answer is simple. Just refuse to pay outrageous prices until they get the message ! I am not singling out Saints in this respect, although they have an absolute nerve to charge the same as last year for a vastly inferior product. Every club is charging far too much as poor attendances indicate.

The idea that admission for LC games will be reduced is laughable. Season tickets MAY be valid, but only an idiot would buy one of those at present.

Sorry, but as i have droned on about endlessly, theres only one way to make them get the finger out. Vote with your feet.

League cup moving back to an initial mini-league format from next season.

Will be 8 groups of 5 made up of 38 SPFL teams plus Lowland and Highland league champions.

All playing each other once in a round robin format so 4 matches.

8 group winners plus 4 best runners up will join the 4 European teams in the knockout last 16 stage.

League games will be played in July, replacing pre-season friendlies.

3 pts for a win, 1 pt for a draw, but drawn games will also go straight to a penalty shootout to earn a "bonus point"

BT Sport have exclusive TV rights to the new competition.

Full details being announced tomorrow so we will find out if it's seeded/regionalised or both.

Thoughts?

I'd like to see the penalty shoot outs in the format that the MLS had in its early years where the players run in on goal from 35 yards or whatever it was with 10 seconds on the clock. It would add another change and a wee bit more excitement.

Edited by Maboza

Brian Third , Archie Knox , John Dickson , David Robertson , John Brown ,Alan Hughes , Jim Young etc etc

WWe got a few good 'uns right enough. Wee Dickson, Archie Knox were standouts in this list and Allan Hughes would have been a player if he could have kept it in his trousers (allegedly) and not hit any WAG at the club (and visiting clubs too it was rumoured if he was not playing and in the stand at the time).

On the subject of cost for games, watching Wolfsburg v man u the studio pundits mentioned the atmosphere at games in Germany, citing the low cost of entry as one of the factors that improves the numbers ( seems obvious I know)

but the really important point is that in spite of charging low admission prices the german league teams can still pay good money to players, otherwise a lot of the top players wouldn't be there.

How do they do it? Sponsorship and tv money certainly, but they must have a very successful infrastructure to remain competitive not just in their own league but also in Europe.

Watching a german league game on bt sport it would seem that even the average teams in Germany have a good stadium, great atmosphere and a great product on the pitch. Why can't we?

On the subject of cost for games, watching Wolfsburg v man u the studio pundits mentioned the atmosphere at games in Germany, citing the low cost of entry as one of the factors that improves the numbers ( seems obvious I know)

but the really important point is that in spite of charging low admission prices the german league teams can still pay good money to players, otherwise a lot of the top players wouldn't be there.

How do they do it? Sponsorship and tv money certainly, but they must have a very successful infrastructure to remain competitive not just in their own league but also in Europe.

Watching a german league game on bt sport it would seem that even the average teams in Germany have a good stadium, great atmosphere and a great product on the pitch. Why can't we?

post-7588-0-88742700-1449687328_thumb.pn

Edited by stlucifer