Billy Mehmet

billymehmet1

I see he's been playing in the Far East the last coupla years - questions.........

• What is the standard of football out there?
  • Is he fit, more specifically is he match fit?
  • Why us - there's no room for sentiment in football these days, can he not do better than a Scottish Championship team?

I loved the big man, he's the sorta player the cliché 110% was made for, but we've been burned a few times in the transfer market in recent years IMO we've gotta approach this deal with some scepticism.

I see he's been playing in the Far East the last coupla years - questions.........

• What is the standard of football out there?
  • Is he fit, more specifically is he match fit?
  • Why us - there's no room for sentiment in football these days, can he not do better than a Scottish Championship team?

I loved the big man, he's the sorta player the cliché 110% was made for, but we've been burned a few times in the transfer market in recent years IMO we've gotta approach this deal with some scepticism.

Maybe he has made a good bit of cash, he was playing for the same team in Turkey that paid Micheal Stewart 10k a week. Maybe he wants to do with Thommo did, we are in deep crap, maybe he wants to help us out. It did feel like he left with unfinished business.

The club can't do any worse than asking him in to train for a few weeks, if he looks up to it offer him a deal till the end of the season with the option for another year?

Can see a few bottom 6 clubs in the Premiership being interested though.

I genuinely think he would lift his team mates and the support.

Just read his interview in the Record. To hear someone talk so positively about Saints reminds me of Thommo when he arrived. I'm genuinely excited about this, but knowing us it won't happen, so I won't build up my hopes.

His arrival could be a massive bright spot in a very dark season so far. 31, looked after himself and played regularly, scoring goals. Fingers crossed.

Former St Mirren favourite Billy Mehmet has declared he’d love to return to Paisley and fire Saints up the league.
GP17341890.jpg
Billy Mehmet in action for St Mirren

Former St Mirren favourite Billy Mehmet has declared he’d love to return to Paisley and fire Saints up the league.

The striker enjoyed a fruitful five-year spell at the Buddies before departing for Turkish club Gençlerbirligi in 2010.

And now Mehmet says he would be ready to pull on the stripes once again to help the club he holds dear to his heart.

Mehmet said: “St Mirren is my love. They gave me my big break in football.

“St Mirren, the fans, it is all special to me and is the time and memories I hold closest to me.

“I have always said I would 100 per cent return to St Mirren before the end of my career and it is something I am eager to do.

“I am 31 now, but I have always looked after my body and think I have only missed two games over the past two years.

“I have a few offers on the table right now but I don’t want to rush into anything.

“But I just want the St Mirren fans to know that I will be back.”

Mehmet has gone on to enjoy a globe-trotting career since departing the Buddies.

His short stint in Turkey was followed by a successful spell at Australian A-League side Perth Glory, alongside fellow former Saint Steven McGarry.

Spells in Thailand, India and Malaysia followed, before he wound up at Borneo based Sarawak at the start of last season.

He rocketed to the top of the club’s scoring charts but decided it was time to return to the UK following the end of his contract at the start of this month.

Speaking from London, Mehmet added: “I have always kept an eye on their scores and just wish they could turn it around soon.

“I had actually thought they would be challenging for promotion.

“I don’t see St Mirren as a Championship side, they are a Premiership club and for the sake of the fans I hope they can turn it around.”

A sensible move for Billy , the wages we would be able to offer would be the same as a club in the bottom six of the SPL ( assuming we want him ) , he knows and enjoys the set up in Paisley, he would be a popular choice and confident he could deliver ten goals between now and the end of the season , get him signed , or at least invite him to Ralston to get a look at him

Looks like Mehmet has turned into some player since he left us.

I certainly don't remember him doing anything to prompt quite such a response as this.

I know, as when he played for us I actually still went to all our games and gave a feck.

Or maybe this is how far we've sunk that we're getting excited about the potential return of a guy who was almost good a few years back.

I certainly don't remember him doing anything to prompt quite such a response as this.

I know, as when he played for us I actually still went to all our games and gave a feck.

Or maybe this is how far we've sunk that we're getting excited about the potential return of a guy who was almost good a few years back.

Was thinking that too. He was our boo boys target for many a year, on here and at the games.

Would seem absence makes the heart grow fonder....

The fans have always liked players who gave 100%

Wether they were good or not

At this moment we need a few of these players about the place

What a player that was!!!! do do do do.......Andy Dorman!!!!

Probably my favourite player during the last few years of Gus' time in charge. When he had the finger out he was so exciting to watch. Unfortunately, he'd go missing for months of the season which is why he was with us and why he failed down south.

Mehmet was crap in the SPL but had a cracking record against lower league clubs in the cups so maybe we should sign him!