Billy Mehmet

billymehmet1

Allegedly we spoke to him a couple of times but the money he was offered abroad was way beyond what we could pay. Maybe when we qualify for Europe we can meet his wages :)

Best of luck Billy.

no we never, he was offered training facilities so manager could have a look at him. Billy refused so it was taken no further, money was never discussed...

8 clubs since he left us less than 6 years ago.

Turkey, Australia, Thailand, India, Malaysia, Singapore....

If I was a journeyman football then that's exactly the route I would take.

A chance to see many interesting countries while earning a decent coin and being treated as a bit of a hero. Beats earning £400 a week playing in places like Forfar....

A chance to see many interesting countries while earning a decent coin and being treated as a bit of a hero. Beats earning £400 a week playing in places like Forfar....

Very few footballers do it though. Fair play to him. Takes a certain personality to be out of your comfort zone and live away from friends and family for that length of time.

It was reported he was earning close to 10k when he moved to turkey! If that was a benchmark for the rest of his career then we were no way near what he was probably looking for

Did he not leave Turkey because the Club weren't paying him his wages?

Did he not leave Turkey because the Club weren't paying him his wages?

Yes. They stopped paying after a few months but he still had payslips showing he earned 10k a week. A lot easier to get a well paid job negotiating from £10,000 rather than £700 a week :)

Couldn't agree more. It's a short career, if You had the chance to see the world and swell your bank balance, you'd be daft not to take it.

I know people talk about loyalty a lot in football, but most of these guys have families, it very rarely bothers me when a player moves on for a bigger pay packet. It's exactly what I'd do.

Edited by Saint Garf

• 1 year later...