Billy Mehmet

billymehmet1

8 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

Billy would a very decent signing at this level. He's would be a major asset with his experience and very unselfish style of play. I would be delighted to see him back.  

Agreed.

Billy played with JR, and has the attributes and character to help us gain promotion. I don't expect him to sign, but would be happy if he did.

Billy is younger than Sutton and has scored more goals in his career. According to Wiki he scored 55 goals in 167 games for us although I am not sure about that figure as Soccerbase gives him 37 goals in 140 appearances. But still a decent scoring record with us and improved substantially after he left. But folk are happy to keep Sutton but not sign Mehmet?

BRING BACK THE GOAL MACHINE.

4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Billy is younger than Sutton and has scored more goals in his career. According to Wiki he scored 55 goals in 167 games for us although I am not sure about that figure as Soccerbase gives him 37 goals in 140 appearances. But still a decent scoring record with us and improved substantially after he left. But folk are happy to keep Sutton but not sign Mehmet?

Aye, the WIKI figures are, IMO, wrong.

Indeed his scoring record did improve after he left but, FFS, in some leagues Mickey Mouse would have been prolific. :lol:

I liked Mehmet, worked hard, held up the ball and scored a reasonable amount of goals 7 YEARS ago.

Anyway, all irrelevant, I'd go for Mickey Mouse.  :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, the WIKI figures are, IMO, wrong.

Indeed his scoring record did improve after he left but, FFS, in some leagues Mickey Mouse would have been prolific. :lol:

I liked Mehmet, worked hard, held up the ball and scored a reasonable amount of goals 7 YEARS ago.

Anyway, all irrelevant, I'd go for Mickey Mouse.  :rolleyes:

Maybe. But in Scotland we always assume teams in pishy wee countries like Peru, Morocco, Faroes, Macedonia etc are shit then our national team of our best players cannot  beat  them. I have never seen football in Malaysia so have no idea of the standard. But Billy has played in the top League in Turkey which is a good standard. Who knows the level he is at but surely worth a look in my opinion.

I was playing golf with someone who had close ties to St Mirren and they mentioned speaking to billy a month ago and he apparently mentioned he would love to come back here. I took it with a pinch of salt, but you never know?
I reckon it would be worth bringing home a legend and give him a season or 2.

We need to remember the market in.

So far this summer our new arrivals have been players who weren't good enough for Dunfermline and Queen of the South and a bunch of youngsters from part time teams in league 1.

Would Billy be a gamble?  Of course.

Would he be any more of a gamble than the other players we've signed?

Nope. 

Edited by TopCat

13 minutes ago, TopCat said:

So far this summer our new arrivals have been players who weren't good enough for Dunfermline and Queen of the South and a bunch of youngsters from part time teams in league 1.

Would he be anymore of a gamble than the other players we've signed?

Nope. 

Really?

I'm sure their former managers deemed them not good enough.

Fortunately, lots of players have not been re-signed by clubs and have gone on to better things, under better managers, which we currently have.

However, feel free to keep spitting the dummy, it's amusing watching an alleged grown up behaving like spoiled five year old, months on from his original meltdown.

Edited by FTOF

12 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Would he be anymore of a gamble than the other players we've signed?

Nope. 

Billy Mehmet wasn't good enough for Dunfermline either when we signed him....

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

The stats on Mehmet's wiki page are totally made up.

The stmirren.info site is more reliable.

Mehmet 39 goals in 141 starts and 51 sub appearances

Sutton 30 goals in 66 starts and 9 sub appearances

The stats on Mehmet's wiki page are totally made up.
The stmirren.info site is more reliable.
Mehmet 39 goals in 141 starts and 51 sub appearances
Sutton 30 goals in 66 starts and 9 sub appearances

Sutton has 43 goals in 101 starts and 22 sub appearances counting last season. By Saints standards of recent times that is a pretty decent strike rate. And better than Sir Thommohawk!

36 minutes ago, Saint Garf said:

I'd imagine he'd come in on trial first if anything was ever going to happen. If, after that, Jack and James were convinced, I'd be happy enough to see him sign. Depends on how fit he's kept himself, or how he's adapted his game as he's gotten older.

It' not.