Billy Mehmet

billymehmet1

1 hour ago, scottd said:

No point living in the past.

Aherm....

Steven McGinn.

Sometimes these deals work out. Often they don't.

I wouldn't have any issue with Billy coming back. I reckon he would still have something to offer. Still can't see it, though.

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

Aherm....

Steven McGinn.

Sometimes these deals work out. Often they don't.

I wouldn't have any issue with Billy coming back. I reckon he would still have something to offer. Still can't see it, though.

McGinn is quite a bit younger but, as you say, always a gamble, just more of a gamble when someone is entering the twilight years of his career.

As MM says above your post, his strengths are now, IMO, unlikely to still be as strong.

Is it even a transfer window if we aren't linked to Billy Mehmet? :lol:

Why on earth would anyone think bringing him back would be a good shout? Passed his best and not played at a decent level for years. he may as well of been playing fives on a Sunday afternoon than some of his recent teams (that he hasn't particularly done well for) 

It's amazing that we Scots rubbish football we know nothing about. Our Clubs in Europe do it every season and get put out by unknowns. Strange as it may seem football in Scotland is not played at the highest level. We are raving about Stelios and he came from a club 11th in the Cyprus league.

It's amazing that we Scots rubbish football we know nothing about. Our Clubs in Europe do it every season and get put out by unknowns. Strange as it may seem football in Scotland is not played at the highest level. We are raving about Stelios and he came from a club 11th in the Cyprus league.

This exactly. How many times have we seen Scottish teams that would probably beat us getting pumped by clubs from "Diddy Leagues" in Europe. I said earlier in the thread, if he was available, he'd be worth a trial.

It's a fair point but The fact remains he's played for 6 clubs in 4 years that won't be a great standard. If he keeps getting patched from team to team what makes anyone think he'll come back here a decade older and make any kind of impact?

15 hours ago, Sonny said:

This ^^^^^^ Who had heard of the teams playing the Fake Saints or the H**s last night ???

Fake Saints beaten at home and a measly one goal win for the Neanderthals of Castle Greyskull.

Nearly every year some unknown European teams roll up and turn over our teams. Embarrassing that we get this wrong 

so often. Those two look like departing at the first hurdle .......

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

It's a fair point but The fact remains he's played for 6 clubs in 4 years that won't be a great standard. If he keeps getting patched from team to team what makes anyone think he'll come back here a decade older and make any kind of impact?

How do you know they won't be a great standard? Is Cypriot football a greater standard compared to Scotland? Harry Davis is allegedly moving to non-League in preference to St Mirren. Is non-league in England better than our Championship? I do not know the answers. I do know that he scored 60 goals in 104 games over these 6 clubs in 4 years and every time a season finished someone wants to sign him up. And the season before that he scored 8 in 29 for Perth Glory. Maybe he would be rubbish and maybe he would be great for us. But until we take a look we cannot just write him off.

You'd think Mehmet was well into his 40s listening to some. He's 32 ffs. Aways a gamble to bring someone back to the club, a bigger gamble when they've been trotting around the world like a nomad, plying their trade here, there and everywhere for a number of years, but let's not pretend he's Methusalah in his dying days...

I'd be interested in seeing what shape he was in, and who knows maybe he'd do us a job again.

Edited by Soctty

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Can't be bothered sifting through this thread. Is there something in this or just fans wanting to see Billy return ? 

Just some wanting him to return at the moment . 

I could definitely think of worse ideas . 

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, mcdowell76 said:

Billy Mehmet wasn't good enough for Dunfermline either when we signed him....

Indeed, a Dunfermline who were a well established SPL side at the time and who had just got to the Scottish Cup Final and played in Europe.  Not quite the same as the current Dunfermline who've just finished mid table in the second tier having been promoted from the third tier the year before.

Billy's 32, the same age Thommo was when we signed him.  Get him in on trial.  We clearly need a striker and I don't see many better options out there.

44 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Indeed, a Dunfermline who were a well established SPL side at the time and who had just got to the Scottish Cup Final and played in Europe.  Not quite the same as the current Dunfermline who've just finished mid table in the second tier having been promoted from the third tier the year before.

Billy's 32, the same age Thommo was when we signed him.  Get him in on trial.  We clearly need a striker and I don't see many better options out there.

Jack Ross has said he is happy to start the season with what we have , granted a 20 goal a season striker would be great but every club would like one of them. We have 5 strikers on the books so I trust Jack Ross on his assessment. I have not seen us play yet so curious when you did ? Or are you judging in hindsight?