Billy Mehmet

billymehmet1

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Indeed, a Dunfermline who were a well established SPL side at the time and who had just got to the Scottish Cup Final and played in Europe.  Not quite the same as the current Dunfermline who've just finished mid table in the second tier having been promoted from the third tier the year before.

Billy's 32, the same age Thommo was when we signed him.  Get him in on trial.  We clearly need a striker and I don't see many better options out there.

But we have actually signed Reilly from Hearts, who are have just finished 5th in the top flight and are Scotland's 3rd biggest club.

Reilly finished 4th top scorer in this very division in season 14/15, in a league that contained Hearts, Rangers & Hibs. He scored more goals than any Hearts or Rangers player.

Unlike Billy Mehmet when he signed for us, Gavin Reilly is a PROVEN goalscorer at this level. That is a fact.

Yes, he didn't do so well last season...  but Mehmet didn't do very well with us in this division either....

3 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

But we have actually signed Reilly from Hearts, who are have just finished 5th in the top flight and are Scotland's 3rd biggest club.

Reilly finished 4th top scorer in this very division in season 14/15, in a league that contained Hearts, Rangers & Hibs. He scored more goals than any Hearts or Rangers player.

Unlike Billy Mehmet when he signed for us, Gavin Reilly is a PROVEN goalscorer at this level. That is a fact.

Yes, he didn't do so well last season...  but Mehmet didn't do very well with us in this division either....

Reilly never played a single minute for Hearts last year :lol:  They mutually consented him a few weeks back and we've picked him as a free agent.  But yeah... Close.

Maybe he will go back to the player he was 3 years ago, let's hope so.   If he continues his form from last year ( 2 goals in 28 appearances for Dunfermline ) and we don't sign another striker, we're in trouble,

19 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Reilly never played a single minute for Hearts last year :lol:  They mutually consented him a few weeks back and we've picked him as a free agent.  But yeah... Close.

Maybe he will go back to the player he was 3 years ago, let's hope so.   If he continues his form from last year ( 2 goals in 28 appearances for Dunfermline ) and we don't sign another striker, we're in trouble,

So, you are in fact confirming that the last club he was with before signing for us was Hearts? Yeah, close!

Reilly is only 24, so I'd say that there is a decent chance that he get back to the form he produced over TWO seasons at this very level.

As you are well aware, most of Reilly's appearances last season were as a sub. However still managed to score TWICE as many goals as Mehmet managed at this level with us! :lol: 

While you would rather hope that a 31 year old can get back to the form he produced 7 years ago? And even then he was hardly what you could call a regular goalscorer.

Also worth bearing in mind that we still have Sutton... a striker you fawn all over.

Edited by mcdowell76

1 minute ago, mcdowell76 said:

So, you are in fact confirming that the last club he was with before signing for us was Hearts? Yeah, close!

Reilly is only 24, so I'd say that there is a decent chance that he get back to the form he produced over TWO seasons at this very level.

As you are well aware, most of Reilly's appearances last season were as a sub. However still managed to score TWICE as many goals as Mehmet managed at this level with us! :lol: 

While you would rather hope that a 31 year old can get back to the form he produced 7 years ago? And even then he was hardly what you could call a regular goalscorer.

Well aye if you want to call his agents negotiating a pay off with the club while he was on holiday as him 'being there' charge on.  

Is your point that we should forget about signing a new striker cause we have Gavin Reilly?

Most of his appearances for Dunfermline were as a sub cause he couldn't get a regular start for them, cause he was shite :lol:

12 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well aye if you want to call his agents negotiating a pay off with the club while he was on holiday as him 'being there' charge on.  

Is your point that we should forget about signing a new striker cause we have Gavin Reilly?

Most of his appearances for Dunfermline were as a sub cause he couldn't get a regular start for them, cause he was shite :lol:

I'd call it being the last club he was with before signing for us, so aye, I'll charge on.

Yes, I don't have a problem with us not signing a new striker. Reilly is a proven goalscorer at this level. John Sutton is also a proven goalscorer at this level. Billy Mehmet has never proven that he can score goals regularly in Scotland.

Reilly didn't get a regular game with Dunfermline because he got injured early on and when he came back they had signed a new striker and their form had picked up.

For someone who has a bee in the bonnet about personal abuse its a shame that you have resorted to personal abuse directed at one of our own players.

Stay classy bud.

Edited by mcdowell76

I'd call it being the last club he was with before signing for us, so aye, I'll charge on.
Yes, I don't have a problem with us not signing a new striker. Reilly is a proven goalscorer at this level. John Sutton is also a proven goalscorer at this level. Billy Mehmet has never proven that he can score goals regularly in Scotland.
Reilly didn't get a regular game with Dunfermline because he got injured early on and when he came back they had signed a new striker and their form had picked up.
For someone who has a bee in the bonnet about personal abuse its a shame that you have resorted to personal abuse directed at one of our own players.
Stay classy bud.

I think the new striker signed by Dunfermline was also the son of their assistant manager.

4 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Stay classy bud.

Well I hope JR's opinion is different from yours, else we're in trouble.  We can't be relying on a striker who's hardly hit the net for 2 years.  Saying he was shite for Dunfermline isn't personal abuse.  2 goals in 28 appearances for a striker say that all by themselves. 

I'm sure we will have another striker in place by the 15th of July.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Well following his very public and seemingly futile chase of Loy he clearly feels we are short in the striking department.

And we are.

Public chase? Is that what you call Jack saying we know his situation and its out of our hands? Hardly a chase, more a statement of fact.

You don't half love making an arse of yourself...

It's a good laugh - keep it up.

Just now, TopCat said:

Well I hope JR's opinion is different from yours, else we're in trouble.  We can't be relying on a striker who's hardly hit the net for 2 years.  Saying he was shite for Dunfermline isn't personal abuse.  2 goals in 28 appearances for a striker say that all by themselves. 

Likewise, I also hope that JR's opinion is different from yours. If we were to rely on Billy Mehmet to be our main source of goals then we are in trouble.

I think Reilly is a far better option than Mehmet.

5 goals in 9 starts for the 3rd biggest club in Scotland plus 25 goals in 49 starts in this very division including finishing 4th top scorer say that all by themselves.

3 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Reilly made one league start after 22nd October. As has been pointed out to you, he has a very good scoring record in this division when given a fair crack:

In three seasons for QoS from the age of 19 to 21, Reilly scored 36 goals and made 10 assists in 55 championship starts. I'd say he's more than capable of making a good contribution in terms of goals and assists at this level, despite a difficult couple of years. He's certainly not shite.

I would also hope we have another striker in place to create competition and give us options, because nothing in life is certain.

43 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Would take that with a pinch of salt after all this the man that does not like Jack Ross as manager. 

3 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Likewise, I also hope that JR's opinion is different from yours. If we were to rely on Billy Mehmet to be our main source of goals then we are in trouble.

I think Reilly is a far better option than Mehmet.

5 goals in 9 starts for the 3rd biggest club in Scotland plus 25 goals in 49 starts in this very division including finishing 4th top scorer say that all by themselves.

Well we wouldn't be relying on Mehmet cause Reilly would already be here.  It's not one or the other.

Where you getting 5 goals from?  I have his Hearts career as 28 appearances 4 goals and his Dunfermline career as 28 appearances and 2 goals.

We have had defenders that have scored more than that.  Plenty of players start out well and fade away, let's hope he's not one of them.

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well we wouldn't be relying on Mehmet cause Reilly would already be here.  It's not one or the other.

Where you getting 5 goals from?  I have his Hearts career as 28 appearances 4 goals and his Dunfermline career as 28 appearances and 2 goals.

We have had defenders that have scored more than that.  Plenty of players start out well and fade away, let's hope he's not one of them.

On the basis that Mehmet has never scored goals regularly, then obviously we WILL be relying on Reilly to score regularly. Based on what you want us to do, its Reilly or no-one!

I'm getting the 5 goals from the 5 goals he scored for Hearts in season 15/16. Oops, made a mistake, he actually started 11 games. 5 goals, 11 starts, not a bad record.

25 goals in 49 starts over 2 seasons in the Championship, again, none too shabby.

As for Reilly's 2 goals, as I mentioned earlier, that's TWICE what Mehmet managed at this level with us. We have had goalkeepers who have managed that! :lol:

Edited by mcdowell76

2 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

On the basis that Mehmet has never scored goals regularly, then obviously we WILL be relying on Reilly to score regularly. Based on what you want us to do, its Reilly or no-one!

I'm getting the 5 goals from the 5 goals he scored for Hearts in season 15/16. Oops, made a mistake, he actually started 11 games. 5 goals, 11 starts, not a bad record.

25 goals in 49 starts over 2 seasons in the Championship, again, none too shabby.

As for Reilly's 2 goals, as I mentioned earlier, that's TWICE what Mehmet managed at this level with us. We have had goalkeepers who have managed that! :lol:

What's your source for him scoring 5 goals?

Most of Mehmets goals came in the SPL... ?

4 minutes ago, TopCat said:

What's your source for him scoring 5 goals?

Most of Mehmets goals came in the SPL... ?

Hearts wiki page for that season is the source. His own wiki page is wrong.

Yes, most of the rare league goals that Mehmet scored were in the SPL.

But in his only season in this division he spent most of it on the bench and only managed 1 goal.

You wouldn't just write him off based on that one season would you?

Gavin Reilly is only 24. He scored 24 goals in the Championship in 49 starts over TWO seasons. He has proven that he can score goals regularly in this division when he regularly starts games.

12 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

But in his only season in this division he spent most of it on the bench and only managed 1 goal.

Gavin Reilly is only 24. He scored 24 goals in the Championship in 49 starts over TWO seasons. He has proven that he can score goals regularly in this division when he regularly starts games.

Well more than one source has him on 4 goals, probably Hearts wiki page that's wrong...

I'm not writing him off at all, he might go on and score 30 goals this season.  He might not.  Based on his recent career I think it's fair to say that he probably isn't the answer to our striking problems, doesn't mean he wont be though.

We need another option if we want to challenge for promotion this year and I'm sure the management are working on it.

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well more than one source has him on 4 goals, probably Hearts wiki page that's wrong...

I'm not writing him off at all, he might go on and score 30 goals this season.  He might not.  Based on his recent career I think it's fair to say that he probably isn't the answer to our striking problems, doesn't mean he wont be though.

We need another option if we want to challenge for promotion this year and I'm sure the management are working on it.

Nope, the Hearts wiki page is correct. He scored in the League Cup and I checked out the actual game and he actually did score that 5th goal.

Based on his recent career, 25 goals in 49 starts in this very division suggests that he probably IS the answer to our striking problems.

If we do sign another striker (not Mehmet), then great. If not then I don't believe we do need another option. Reilly scored more goals in a single season in this division than any Hearts striker managed when they won the league.

If he can manage 4th top scorer in a league that contained Hearts, Rangers and Hibs then I'm confident he will do okay in a division where ICT. Dundee Utd and Falkirk will be the main challengers!

2 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

Billy actually scored 2

The winner against Dundee to clinch the Championship

The week later at Stranraer in a 1-0 win