Billy Mehmet

billymehmet1

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Seeing two of this site's biggest wind-up merchants arguing with each other is a thing of beauty.

Wind-up merchants is a hugely charitable definition, but, aye, it is moderately amusing.

On 30 June 2017 at 5:22 PM, windae cleaner said:

Billy actually scored 2

The winner against Dundee to clinch the Championship

The week later at Stranraer in a 1-0 win

Was Billy not off ill with one thing like the mumps?

i think after the Dundee goal was the first time we saw the dance , he also gave his pair of gold boots to the crowd. .

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:22 PM, windae cleaner said:

Billy actually scored 2

The winner against Dundee to clinch the Championship

The week later at Stranraer in a 1-0 win

Technically, the winner v Dundee didn't clinch the championship. It was icing on the cake. The Saintees game v QotS finished, (before our game ended), in their defeat clinching our championship win. We were celebrating the result when Mehmet scored.

Was Billy not off ill with one thing like the mumps?
i think after the Dundee goal was the first time we saw the dance , he also gave his pair of gold boots to the crowd. .

Yup when he signed Sutton and Keane were our strike force. Mehmet got mumps shortly after joining and never really got much of a chance as Keane and Sutt's had gelled.

Keane and Sutton then started our first season in SPL well and would have probably remained our favoured strike force until Keane got injured, something he never really recovered from. Mehmet then got more game time but Sutt's was still the more likely to score goals.

Mehmet then scored 1 of 3 very important goals at Firpark with Sutton grabbing 2 (and a contract at Motherwell) before Mehmet became a fixture in his 3rd season. Imagine a striker getting 3 seasons to prove themselves at Saints!!

16 hours ago, Hambud said:

Yup when he signed Sutton and Keane were our strike force. Mehmet got mumps shortly after joining and never really got much of a chance as Keane and Sutt's had gelled.

Keane and Sutton then started our first season in SPL well and would have probably remained our favoured strike force until Keane got injured, something he never really recovered from. Mehmet then got more game time but Sutt's was still the more likely to score goals.

Mehmet then scored 1 of 3 very important goals at Firpark with Sutton grabbing 2 (and a contract at Motherwell) before Mehmet became a fixture in his 3rd season. Imagine a striker getting 3 seasons to prove themselves at Saints!!

I thought Sutton signed for Wycombe when he left us? Or was that after he left Motherwell?

17 hours ago, Hambud said:

Imagine a striker getting 3 seasons to prove themselves at Saints!!

Despite me really liking BM... and him scoring a late-winner at Falkirk to duff up my chances of doing well in the next day's Paisley 10k, through celebrating too much... I never really reckoned him to be a particularly effective striker.

I can see why the Blessed Gus used him - as Billy held the ball up well, and so took a lot of strain off of a defence cultivated to be dour and steadfast instead of exciting and positive - Saints were set up to stop goals being scored not to score them..

Billy did score the odd important goal and I think they shocked many of us whenever it happened.

On 10/07/2017 at 1:10 PM, antrin said:

Despite me really liking BM... and him scoring a late-winner at Falkirk to duff up my chances of doing well in the next day's Paisley 10k, through celebrating too much... I never really reckoned him to be a particularly effective striker.

I can see why the Blessed Gus used him - as Billy held the ball up well, and so took a lot of strain off of a defence cultivated to be dour and steadfast instead of exciting and positive - Saints were set up to stop goals being scored not to score them..

Billy did score the odd important goal and I think they shocked many of us whenever it happened.

Indeed , wee seemed to rely on goals from other players too , midfielders. .

20 hours ago, TopCat said:

Best Saints strikers in the last 15 years:

Thompson
Higdon
Sutton
Mehmet

Let's reunite 3 and 4.

In the words of a certain American tennis player, "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS MAN"!

I'm just glad you don't pick who plays for Saints.

• 4 weeks later...
Reilly never played a single minute for Hearts last year :lol:  They mutually consented him a few weeks back and we've picked him as a free agent.  But yeah... Close.
Maybe he will go back to the player he was 3 years ago, let's hope so.   If he continues his form from last year ( 2 goals in 28 appearances for Dunfermline ) and we don't sign another striker, we're in trouble,

:lol:

Well aye if you want to call his agents negotiating a pay off with the club while he was on holiday as him 'being there' charge on.  
Is your point that we should forget about signing a new striker cause we have Gavin Reilly?
Most of his appearances for Dunfermline were as a sub cause he couldn't get a regular start for them, cause he was shite :lol:

Gavin Reilly is shite! :lol:

Well I hope JR's opinion is different from yours, else we're in trouble.  We can't be relying on a striker who's hardly hit the net for 2 years.  Saying he was shite for Dunfermline isn't personal abuse.  2 goals in 28 appearances for a striker say that all by themselves. 
I'm sure we will have another striker in place by the 15th of July.

We 're in trouble if we rely on Reilly! :lol:

Well more than one source has him on 4 goals, probably Hearts wiki page that's wrong...
I'm not writing him off at all, he might go on and score 30 goals this season.  He might not.  Based on his recent career I think it's fair to say that he probably isn't the answer to our striking problems, doesn't mean he wont be though.
We need another option if we want to challenge for promotion this year and I'm sure the management are working on it.

It's fair to say that Reilly isn't the answer to our striking problems. :lol: